Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
#26 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 4:19 AM
How do ya'll know what card board taste like! I taste Splenda and it tasted like nothing than a hour later I had a huge headache
Advertisement
#27 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 3:31 PM
This is quite strange for me too, i've been using artificial sweetners ever since I started to have yo-yo weight fluctuations. I've never had a problem with it. But this was very informative, I'll try to cut back on it now that I know this.

Thanks
=)
#28 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 3:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DarkObsidian
I think part of Splenda is made up of chlorine.
Too much of that can't be very good for you at all.
Everything is bad for you, it's just how much you consume.
Too much water, too much fun, too much anything.

Erm..you can NEVER have too much water, or too much fruit and vegetables.

But this is realllllly strange. I drink coke zero from time to time and now I will stop - thats really scary.
#29 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmy

But this is realllllly strange. I drink coke zero from time to time and now I will stop - thats really scary.

Erm yes you can have too much water, too many fruits and veggies too...

Drinking too much water...
http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm
http://chemistry.about.com/b/a/086190.htm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6263029.stm
http://www.google.com.mx/search?hl=...uch+water&meta=

Too much fruit...
http://www.providence.org/oregon/he...xpert_fruit.htm
http://chetday.com/benefitfruithealth.htm
http://www.google.com.mx/search?hl=...uch+fruit&meta=

Too many veggies...
After reading some web-pages, there really is no problem with binge eating veggies, thought make sure you guys wash them really well and eat them raw =)
#30 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 4:57 PM
Well, you can't have too many if you wash all of the vegetables..lol I love vegetables.
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#31 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 5:21 PM
Just remember that aspratame is actually worse than splenda and if you think you have an allergy you should see a doctor. Self diagnosing is not recommended because it could be something entirely unrelated and another change around the same time cleared up whatever issue and it was just attributed wrongly by yourself. Also, don't believe everything you read on the net. I could go put up 25 different websites all saying the same bad things about some random thing that is actually good for you - veggies, fruit, whatever - and some people would surely find it, believe it and start spreading the information.

Research from reputable sources, talk to your doctor and other health professionals and make up your own mind based on the actual facts and not a lot of noise from the internet. This goes for anything - not just splenda. I see a lot of people self diagnosing mental health problems that likely don't have anything wrong with them. That's what doctors are for
#32 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 5:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Charmy

Uh, yeah you can. Consuming too much water can actually drown you. Crazy, right? I know. My aunt and uncle went on vacation where it was really hot and she kept drinking bottles and bottles of water to the point where her whole body got swolen. She went to the doctor and they had to drain all the water out of her. She had gallons of water inside of her it was crazy! They told her if she were to have around 3 more bottled waters then she would've drowned herself.

I don't know about fruits and vegetables though.
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#33 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 5:47 PM
Actually you can't drown yourself by drinking water. That would insinuate that your lungs filled up with water and you couldn't breathe, therefore you drown. Drinking too much water to the point of this happening is actually within your brain. It's called water intoxication (or water poisoning) and is due to drinking too much water too fast. It basically messes with the balance of electrolytes - possibly a reason why stuff like gatorade (which is somewhat likely to be consumed in great quantities) and other sports-type drinks, along with some water, now contains electrolytes.
#34 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by paola_105
hmmm thats weird. i never had any splenda symptoms and i've used it for many years...

You're probably not allergic to it. See, when you're allergic to something it gives you annoying to deadly reactions because your body thinks it's a poison. When you're not, your body realizes it's just a food product and consumes it as it would normally.

I reiterate: Saying that splenda is bad because some people had an allergic reaction to it is like saying that peanuts are toxic because people have died from eating them because of their allergies.
Field Researcher
#35 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 6:56 PM
I am anti-anything processed! This is a great forum idea, and if others would post their horror stories with man-made chemicals, it could help a lot of people switch to a healthier lifestyle of eating. I worry about what people will have to deal with, healthwise, in 10 or 12 years due to the over-consumption of artificial sweeteners, etc. I was a Diet Coke junkie (pre-Splenda, however). I gave up artificial sweeteners alltogether when I realized I had cravings for them. Crazy, strong cravings like you would for a drug. I would drink a Diet Coke and in an hour NEED another one. It just wasn't normal or natural. Now, if I feel like a soda, I have one with sugar and then usually don't even finish it. I drink maybe four sodas a month, when I was probably up to at least four a day when I was drinking Diet Coke. Definitely something in that stuff that's addictive, and I believe it's the artificial sweetener.
#36 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 9:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by discordkitty
Actually you can't drown yourself by drinking water. That would insinuate that your lungs filled up with water and you couldn't breathe, therefore you drown. Drinking too much water to the point of this happening is actually within your brain. It's called water intoxication (or water poisoning) and is due to drinking too much water too fast. It basically messes with the balance of electrolytes - possibly a reason why stuff like gatorade (which is somewhat likely to be consumed in great quantities) and other sports-type drinks, along with some water, now contains electrolytes.

Well "drowning" is the term the doctor used. She had so much water inside her that when she walked, you could hear the water moving inside of her. It was so weird.
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 10:07 PM
I don't know about people with splenda allergies, but I think its something like a wonder drug. I used to be massively addicted to caffeine and real sugar and I got it from non-diet sodas. Then I switched to diet coke (with artificial sweetners) and I dropped a ton of weight and felt better than ever... I'm utterly in love with Splenda now and use it instead fo sugar when I bake. I think I'm int he minority here though.

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 10:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lockshockbarrel
You're probably not allergic to it. See, when you're allergic to something it gives you annoying to deadly reactions because your body thinks it's a poison. When you're not, your body realizes it's just a food product and consumes it as it would normally.

I reiterate: Saying that splenda is bad because some people had an allergic reaction to it is like saying that peanuts are toxic because people have died from eating them because of their allergies.

i guess im just immune to allergies. i never was allergic to anything in my life.

I love Jude Law
#39 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 11:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pieridae
I am anti-anything processed! This is a great forum idea, and if others would post their horror stories with man-made chemicals, it could help a lot of people switch to a healthier lifestyle of eating. I worry about what people will have to deal with, healthwise, in 10 or 12 years due to the over-consumption of artificial sweeteners, etc. I was a Diet Coke junkie (pre-Splenda, however). I gave up artificial sweeteners alltogether when I realized I had cravings for them. Crazy, strong cravings like you would for a drug. I would drink a Diet Coke and in an hour NEED another one. It just wasn't normal or natural. Now, if I feel like a soda, I have one with sugar and then usually don't even finish it. I drink maybe four sodas a month, when I was probably up to at least four a day when I was drinking Diet Coke. Definitely something in that stuff that's addictive, and I believe it's the artificial sweetener.

Uh, #1, I really don't think it was a horror story, because she was just allergic to it. If she had had some sort of bad reaction because the chemical itself was toxic, then, yes, the title would make sense.

#2, if diet coke or splenda were addictive, we'd know about it. That's what the FDA's for. They test for these sort of things so that we can stay healthy.
#40 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 5:02 AM
Splenda is allright for me and my family, nothing ever happened to us... but maybe it's because we rarely have artificial sweetners. But either way, splenda isn't that good, so we just use real sugars most times.
Field Researcher
#41 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 5:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lockshockbarrel
Uh, #1, I really don't think it was a horror story, because she was just allergic to it. If she had had some sort of bad reaction because the chemical itself was toxic, then, yes, the title would make sense.

#2, if diet coke or splenda were addictive, we'd know about it. That's what the FDA's for. They test for these sort of things so that we can stay healthy.

Sure, the FDA also said fen-phen was safe, until people died. It's not that I'm anti-government, I just don't trust them to know/ disclose everything.
Test Subject
#42 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 5:14 AM
must be just you, my WHOLE family uses it faithfully.

and we have almost every allergy known to mankind
#43 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 5:58 AM
It's not just Pieridae, it's other people as well. Splenda and other artificial sweeteners react differently with all people. Some get sick from it and others don't.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 6:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stormy
It's not just Pieridae, it's other people as well. Splenda and other artificial sweeteners react differently with all people. Some get sick from it and others don't.

Thanks stormy, you said that beautifully.
Field Researcher
#45 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 10:10 AM
I've never got ill from artificial sweeteners and i have splenda before although i use real sugar most of the time (i don't like the fake stuff).

Likeing new TS3 build grid and placements, not liking TS3 Store and changes to shops.
#46 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 8:12 PM

Some people are allergic to it and some aren't, same with any food.
#47 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 8:39 PM
You just basically repeated what I said. Some allergic reactions make people sick and some don't.
Forum Resident
#48 Old 10th Jun 2007 at 8:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Haylifer
I don't like full-sugar Coke though It makes my teeth feel funny.

OMG!! i thought it was only me! what like a stinging, aching about 20mins after drinking coke? wow!

anyway- im sorry to hear about you bad experiance with splenda! and well all sweeteners taste revolting! try honey! no kidding. i do and its better for you!
#49 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 2:39 AM
You just basically repeated what I said. Some allergic reactions make people sick and some don't.

Well, yeah, I just wanted to make sure people knew it was an allergy, and not because splenda is bad in general. (Noone listened to me for a while, so I felt I had to repeat myself)
#50 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 6:07 AM
Lol oh ok, I see. Yeah, I've never had an allergic reaction from it, but I know someone who did. She was throwing up all day long.
Page 2 of 3