Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 12:34 AM
Default constrainFloorElevation - can't seem to figure it out
I'm trying to recreate a 10x3 tiny house on TS2. In order to do so I need 3 levels: a foundation, a wall high level and an half-wall high level.

The problem, obviously, is the last level. I laid down a foundation and created two stories on top of it. So far so good. But now I needed to make the walls on the 2nd level half their usual size. I haven't used boolProp constrainFloorElevation in months so I decided to watch a tutorial but I'm still doing something wrong. Instead of making the walls half their size, all I seem to be able to do is make them even taller. And since the guy from the tutorial is building on floor level and I'm building on a foundation level, it's making it even harder for me to figure out what I'm doing wrong. The fact that all tutorial links I find on MTS have already been deactivated is not helping either.

Can someone used to messing up with boolProp constrainFloorElevation please tell me how to re-size the 2nd floor walls properly?
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 6:55 AM Last edited by ScaryRob : 28th Sep 2014 at 7:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Minaki
I'm trying to recreate a 10x3 tiny house on TS2. In order to do so I need 3 levels: a foundation, a wall high level and an half-wall high level.

The problem, obviously, is the last level. I laid down a foundation and created two stories on top of it. So far so good. But now I needed to make the walls on the 2nd level half their usual size. I haven't used boolProp constrainFloorElevation in months so I decided to watch a tutorial but I'm still doing something wrong. Instead of making the walls half their size, all I seem to be able to do is make them even taller. And since the guy from the tutorial is building on floor level and I'm building on a foundation level, it's making it even harder for me to figure out what I'm doing wrong. The fact that all tutorial links I find on MTS have already been deactivated is not helping either.

Can someone used to messing up with boolProp constrainFloorElevation please tell me how to re-size the 2nd floor walls properly?

I don't know what tutorial you've been watching, but here is how I would do it, which is easy, IMO.

When using the CFE (constrainfloorelevation) cheat, it is helpful to think of the "stories" as levels. This is especially true when building a house on a foundation, because of the tendency to overlook the foundation as a level.

So, in your two-story house on foundation, I would do the following simple procedure.

1) Build the foundation and the two stories of your house.
2) Somewhere nearby the house, maybe within 4-5 squares, build a single-square foundation, with two squared wall sections on top (two stories high, just like the house). This now should be the same height as your house, and is called a "scaffolding" in Sims-building terms, because it will be used to manipulate the house.
3) Turn on the CFE cheat and use the terrain adjustment tool to evenly lower the scaffolding by exactly 8 clicks. Make sure you don't lower any part of the house. It is 8 clicks in your case, because 16 clicks is the full height of a wall and you want to lower it by half.
4) Once the scaffolding is lowered, drag the terrain leveling tool from the top of the scaffolding across the entire top of the second story of your house. This should lower the second story by 8 clicks, which is half its height.
5) Turn CFE off - you're done.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 9:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I don't know what tutorial you've been watching, but here is how I would do it, which is easy, IMO.

When using the CFE (constrainfloorelevation) cheat, it is helpful to think of the "stories" as levels. This is especially true when building a house on a foundation, because of the tendency to overlook the foundation as a level.

So, in your two-story house on foundation, I would do the following simple procedure.

1) Build the foundation and the two stories of your house.
2) Somewhere nearby the house, maybe within 4-5 squares, build a single-square foundation, with two squared wall sections on top (two stories high, just like the house). This now should be the same height as your house, and is called a "scaffolding" in Sims-building terms, because it will be used to manipulate the house.
3) Turn on the CFE cheat and use the terrain adjustment tool to evenly lower the scaffolding by exactly 8 clicks. Make sure you don't lower any part of the house. It is 8 clicks in your case, because 16 clicks is the full height of a wall and you want to lower it by half.
4) Once the scaffolding is lowered, drag the terrain leveling tool from the top of the scaffolding across the entire top of the second story of your house. This should lower the second story by 8 clicks, which is half its height.
5) Turn CFE off - you're done.

I did that. I even built the two walls on a foundation away from my house. But it didn't occur to me that I could also level the floor below the entire thing. Now that I think about it, it might've had something to do with the fact it was 1am at the time.
Thanks, you have saved my sim-life
Theorist
#4 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 10:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Minaki
But it didn't occur to me that I could also level the floor below the entire thing.

I don't know what you mean by that.
Do you mean the ground around the house was not level?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Sep 2014 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ScaryRob
I don't know what you mean by that.
Do you mean the ground around the house was not level?

No, I mean I forgot to lower the floor by clicking in it. When I read that I would have to lower it by 8 clicks suddenly it all made sense to me