Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 1:46 AM
Default World Fails
Have you ever tried making a world, but failed miserably? That's what happened to me today...I made a small world without realizing it would look really small and ugly in-game, and placed some lots until when playing in-game that I realized most rabbit holes would never fit into the world. Which basically means my world is useless.

I included a picture of the awful world below. Please tell me if you had a worse world fail than mine. It boosts my self-esteem (I'm kidding)
Screenshots
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 2:08 AM
LOL, at least you can make a world...

Whenever I zoom out very far in Create A World my terrain gets white until the white envelops the whole area. That means I cannot get an aerial view of my world to sculpt, to terrain paint, to make roads, to do anything...

And there is no well-documented fix for it, which means it's most likely my graphics card. Which means I'm simply out of luck.

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here
Scholar
#3 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 5:21 AM
I have a small screen and I can't do anything with CAW.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 3:01 PM
Haha, like AmandieLove said: at least you know how to make one! I once fumbled around in CAW, and I honestly didn't get it at all. So I just gave up and decided to appreciate all the talented Simmers in this community
Scholar
#5 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 3:05 PM
you should see some of mine! :D

and no - with a little (this particular "little time" may be a "little consuming" ) time of terrain painting work - this may be quite good.

Instead of rabbitholes buildings you can use rugs..

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 3:32 PM
Hey you're many steps ahead of me at least. Last time I tried making worlds was back when TS2 was new.

"Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things." - George Carlin
Instructor
#7 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 5:23 PM
I downloaded a map of Area 51 once and tried to make a world off of it, I had a story planned out and everything, but it just took so long and the world size was way too big. I always have trouble with that, not being able to judge the size of it. I also didn't want it to be an island. I'd have to make my own distant terrain I think, and even though I know how to 3D model, I have no idea how to turn a mesh into an object for CAW. So I gave up, lol.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 5:40 PM Last edited by simb0t : 12th Dec 2015 at 4:43 AM.
Oh goodness, yes.

I tried to adapt Lucky Palms into a better/metropolitan Las Vegas with a bit of grit on the other side of the tracks. Went through the process of getting it into CAW, bulldozed a bunch of roads/lots to fit a lot of my community favorite creations while trying to keep a lot of the original charm of the hood.

It actually ended up looking pretty good, except it's almost completely and totally unplayable. I didn't really understand how heavy lot re-texturing would bog down a game, and paid almost zero attention to routing (other than the bare basics). I still load it up every once in awhile just to pretend I'm good at creating stuff, and still would like to go back and finish it "right" someday. One overhead, and a few screenshots I took awhile back, although all originate from the wrongish side of town.

dodgy builder
#9 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 5:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mordecai and Rigby
Have you ever tried making a world, but failed miserably? That's what happened to me today...I made a small world without realizing it would look really small and ugly in-game, and placed some lots until when playing in-game that I realized most rabbit holes would never fit into the world. Which basically means my world is useless.

I included a picture of the awful world below. Please tell me if you had a worse world fail than mine. It boosts my self-esteem (I'm kidding)

He lol. It depends on the consumers you target 😊 the could be builders or people who like it small. It isn't really realistic to get all the rabbit holes on one world anyways. A world doesn't need roads either. What ever you fancy really.
Theorist
#10 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 6:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mordecai and Rigby

At least you can make a world. I've never been brave enough to take on CAW even though I really enjoyed creating neighbourhoods in TS2. Somehow, CAW was just a tad more intimidating than SimCity 4 hood creation for TS2. It's a nice little place and you can still salvage it if you want. You can throw all the rabbit hole rugs in one huge building or 2 medium sized ones or you can just use it for building lots. At least you made the attempt. Next time you'll succeed

Life is short, insecurity is a waste of time. ~Diane Von Furstenburg
You don't get out of life alive. ~Jimmy the Hand

♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Spice Pony
#11 Old 28th Nov 2015 at 7:03 PM
Oh, absolutely. My first world, Muspell, forever known to me by its more accurate name of "Stupid City", was a giant, barely inhabitable desert full of mushrooms. It had no roads, the houses were miles away from one another or anything else, and the actual city part was a bunch of barely accessible buildings clustered on a really ugly series of terraces. There was this one alley where all the foot traffic piled up, making it almost totally unnavigable.

Another one, actually even less playable, was "Worlds Dissolving". I tried to make bizarre terrain and put distant terrain objects all over the place at weird angles, making it practically impossible to see anything. I screwed up with the camera non-routeable terrain paint, trapping the camera outside of the inhabitable part of the world. It was completely terrible.
Forum Resident
#12 Old 1st Dec 2015 at 12:20 AM
I wouldn't understand routing if it hit me between the eyes with a giant hunk of Tiberium.

(Scumthorpe Files readers will understand this reference...)

~Someday my prince will come... And he better not bring all his hood's character files with him.~
@)->----- Place this ASCII flower in your sig as a thank you to all of our amazing moderators at MTS!
TS3 vs. Your CPU: The Solution
Shameless plug for my fledgeling Simblr here