Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 3:40 AM
Default How much does The Sims **** cost where you live?
I thought I would see how much the Sims Medieval would cost to pre-order as my birthday is in April. So I look on the site - $49.95, that seem ok. Oops, better switch to Australia - $89.99 for Digital copy that's $91.20 in US$.
I know we are a long way from the US but seriously an extra $40 worth? All this means is that EA won't get my money until the price comes down and by then I may have read so many bad reviews I won't buy it at all.
I don't understand why we get slugged so hard in the hip pocket when it comes to games. It just means people buy a cheaper copy from India or Malaysia or even the UK(!) off Ebay or they pirate it, people don't like being ripped off.

So How much does any Sims game cost where you live? Convert it to US$ for easy comparison.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 3:52 AM
In Vietnam? $0.70. And I'm not joking. There's no legit copies of the game anywhere over here.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 4:37 AM
I don't know what it's going for currently, but I know I've seen the base game on sale at Target for a mere US$20, which made me want to kick myself for buying it full price even though I just knew it would cheaper in another year and/or come combined with an EP.

Ah. A quick peek on Amazon says it's $25 currently. Argh argh argh.
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 5:04 AM
Well, I live in the US so a price comparison would be pointless. I do think that even in US pricing, most games are $10 to $20 too expensive for their content. From what I've seen and read, SimsMideval should only be $30, not $50.

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Scholar
#5 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 5:41 AM
Hm, they're in the $40-50 range in Canada, not great but not horrible.
Instructor
#6 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 6:13 AM
$68 in Germany.

The price for preorders isn't reduced, but it's a limited edition with some extra objects. As far as I can see.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 9:38 AM
Base game was $90 here when it came out. The cheapest its been is about $60 over Xmas. EPs are about $50 I try to get them in the low 40's
Theorist
#8 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 11:23 AM
I bought the Sims 3 base game for about $50 in England when it first came out. It's still about $40 now.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 1:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Wojtek
I'm hesitating. I don't want to spend that much money on a game I might not like. I think I'll have to think about it before making any decisions.

That's how I feel $90 is a lot of money, it's an 80% price hike on most other western countries. Before Christmas we had some retailers complaining about how online sales were hurting them and and how it was unfair it was that purchases under $1000 didn't attract sales tax or import duty. It seem to me I could buy this overseas add the postage, 10%GST and import duties and still come in under $90. I'm disappointed because I was looking forward to playing it.
Alchemist
#10 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 4:32 PM
Here in Finland the Sims 3 base game is 54.95 euros (about $74) and the digital version is 50.58 euros (about $69). Expansion packs are around 30.00 euros (about $40). Stuff packs are 19.90 euros (about $27). You can, of course, get them much cheaper because the price varies in some stores. At Christmas you could get any expansion pack with just 9.90 euros, which is about little over $13.
Scholar
#11 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 6:24 PM
I can't believe how expensive it is. I'm in the US and I thought $40-50 dollars was too much. What I can't understand is how they quantify the inflated cost in other markets? Especially for a digital download that is coming from the internet and accessible everywhere-- there's no production/shipping expenses incurred with digital downloads so what would explain the outrageous additional cost?

It's Life...there are no rules.
You can see more of my creations at www.customsims3.com
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 8th Feb 2011 at 8:11 PM
it's ranging from £25 - £30 so that's about $40 to $50 for Sims Medieval off of Amazon.co.uk (That includes shipping for me.)

The sims base game, when it first came out i think i paid about 29 for from Game... so again around $50... it all sounds so much more expensive in dollars @_@

That massive price inflation is absolute BS, I can't see any reason why it would be that much extra, especially for a digital copy.

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Scholar
#13 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 8:22 PM
Too Damn Much!

The reason that the foreign prices seem so much higher is largely because the US dollar is in the toilet. A dollar is not worth as much as it was when the base game was being priced, but EA can't really raise the US price and the foreign distributors certainly aren't going to lower their prices just to make it fair.
Scholar
#14 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 8:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by insane_in_charlie_shirt

I don't understand your icon. Is it a quote from a tv show/ movie, a spelling error or do you really, really just hate dieting?
Alchemist
#15 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 8:50 PM
note: companies dont price their goods on what theyre worth, but what they think they can get you to spend for it.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Test Subject
#16 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 8:51 PM
By the American copy and change the SKU in your registry to region 2 or whatever once you buy it
Instructor
#17 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 9:09 PM Last edited by Drakron : 9th Feb 2011 at 10:25 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
note: companies dont price their goods on what theyre worth, but what they think they can get you to spend for it.

Pretty much.

I now get games from Amazon.uk since with now free shipping and the GPB-Euro conversion ratio favors me, right now The Sims Medieval would cost me 36.05 euros.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 9th Feb 2011 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aeval99
I don't understand your icon. Is it a quote from a tv show/ movie, a spelling error or do you really, really just hate dieting?

Deity as in a god... it's from the show Lost - the character in the icon is Jacob who was (Thought to be) a god of the island.
I didn't make the icon, and honestly never noticed the spelling error before May go find a different one!

not indorsed by Hypno toad... all hail Hypno toad @_@
Scholar
#19 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 2:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by insane_in_charlie_shirt
Deity as in a god... it's from the show Lost - the character in the icon is Jacob who was (Thought to be) a god of the island.
I didn't make the icon, and honestly never noticed the spelling error before May go find a different one!

LOL, I get it. I thought it was probably a spelling error, but then wondered if it was an inside joke from a fandom I wasn't familiar with. The idea of a deity sitting on the beach, being bored, reminded me of the book Good Omens and gave me a chuckle.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 4:04 AM
Here, the The Sims is now $20 USD lower than the original price of $50 USD.

Also, when expansion packs first come out, here they're $40 USD. Stuff packs are $20 USD.

Then, after a few months, the expansion packs drop $10 USD and stuff packs drop $5 USD.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 5:22 AM
In the UK, Sims Medieval is £29.99 for preorder through GAME for either normal or Limited Edition. It is £24.99 for preorder from amazon or £29.99 for Limited Edition.

£24.99 is US $40.17 and £29.99 is US $48.21, with today's prices. This is a pretty average price for a new game.

It seems that Australians are getting seriously ripped off. Can you mobilise your government on this, the way they passed laws requiring all DVD players to be multiregion?

(Ancient) Sims 2 stories | Adventurous, Bookworm, Eco-Friendly, Genius, Over-Emotional
Instructor
#22 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 6:36 AM
I'm amazed at how expensive it is in some places. Here (In the US) I bought the base game for $30-40, then all the EPs are about $20.

"There's nothing to writing.
All you do is sit at a typewriter and open a vein."
-Walter "Red" Smith
Alchemist
#23 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 7:43 AM
Who cares, after all, it's not my money, it's my mother's. She is the one that buys me PC games. Yay! ... ... Yeah, I know, very mature. Who the frack said I'm mature?

Evil doesn't worry about not being good. - The Warden, Dragon Age Origins
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 10th Feb 2011 at 11:45 AM Last edited by LadyAngua : 10th Feb 2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: more info
I was in EB Games today and they are listing medieval at $99 for the "regular" game and $109 for the "special edition" I was gobsmacked. I think I'll try the UK I often buy books from there cheaper than I can get here. Oh the release date is the 23rd if anyone's interested.

I just checked EBay and I can get it from the UK for less than A$58 with free postage. So that's the way I'll go.
Test Subject
#25 Old 21st Jan 2012 at 9:03 PM
Default In Spain
I buy mine in fnac at 60€ the base game (pretty much the same for any other pc game), and 30€ every expansion pack.
Page 1 of 2