Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 7:01 PM
Default Editing premade/custom hair in Milkshape
Hey everybody I'm new here and I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so sorry if it isn't.

But, I wanted to ask if anybody know of a way to edit premade hairs in Milkshape? It's because I've been following a tutorial about converting hair from sims 2 to sims 3, but I actually don't need to know this, it was more because I couldn't find a way to edit and make changes to a hair without converting it; I couldn't find any tutorials on that.

Everything went fine on the 2to3 tutorial, except for a quite essential part of retexturing and and adding maps and all that to the hair. Though I have gotten Photoshop, I'm a complete noob and I have literally no idea how to use it, or any other image program :/

So I'm basically asking: Is there a way to edit a custom hair in Milkshape without having to add/change it's textures?
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 7:36 PM
You mean changing the mesh without needing to change the textures? Because that could be a challenge for some hairstyles.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Mar 2016 at 9:21 PM
^ Yeah, that was my thought. It would be nice to change some hairs a bit, but as soon as it involves Photoshop or something similar, it's out of my reach. XD
Virtual gardener
#4 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 4:09 PM
Looking at the sims 3's polycount limits (well I mean the polycount that would be best for the game, else your game will lag a lot if it has more high polycount. But if you like to edit the mesh, it's possible! As long as the UV map stays the same, the hair won't really act really weird. But small warning here, say you would make a shoulder length hair into a long kind of hair (like the end of the back) By stretching the mesh all the way down, the texture quality will be lower at the part where you stretched it out.

So it is possible, but you should look out for:
- Uv map not changing
- Make sure the mesh and the texture still looks allright together.
- The polycount of the hair. Because 50k is just the limit (and it's still really high, but the highest EA hair is about 13k)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Mar 2016 at 6:17 PM Last edited by JennaSims<3 : 22nd Mar 2016 at 10:01 PM.
Okay, thank you for your answer!
This might sound like a really stupid question, but how do you actually get the mesh from a sims 3 hair? Like, what file do you open in Milkshape? I could only find ways to extract the sims 2 mesh, and then use it in milkshape for sims 3,but to be honest, I have no idea how to edit a hairstyle already available for sims 3. I guess if I just proceeded with a sims 2 to hair and didn't add alha map I wouldn't be able to change it's color in CAS and so on. (?)

Edit: Nevermind, I found out! For reference I used this tutorial: http://sims-and-seres.tumblr.com/po...from-ts3-to-me3
Virtual gardener
#6 Old 23rd Mar 2016 at 9:29 PM
Also a way to do it (If you work with TSRW) Just open it up in TSRW, go to the Mesh tab, then click on the box with the red arrow pointing outwards, and export it as a WSO. file! But you'll need the WSO. plugin in Milkshape. (If you have no idea where or how to install the wso plugin for Milkshape, this could help you out as well: http://wiki.thesimsresource.com/ind...ms#WSO_Plug-ins )