Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 12:32 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default custom content present but not showing up
I was having a glitch so I deleted all the cashe files or what I assumed were cashe files and I think I hurt something

for now the glitch is gone but so is my custom content and it took me WEEKS to download and install it all.

all the content is still in the packages folder as per your guide but NOTHING shows up

I used to get a nice little screen that said basically that CC was installed wheen running the game.

now I don't and I don't know how to fix it aside from reinstalling from the beginning.

which I have I took out everything in the package folder and put it back in and when that didn't work (it always worked with sims 2...) i have began reinstalling by hand one file at a time having it 'override' what's there.

now a few things have shown in installed content maybe five or six

out of the thousands in the package folder,

WHAT GIVES?!?!?!?!

this is all on windows 7 on a good strong computer.
Advertisement
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#2 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 7:50 PM Last edited by porkypine : 24th Apr 2015 at 8:04 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by CammyAnna1982
I was having a glitch so I deleted all the cashe files or what I assumed were cashe files and I think I hurt something

for now the glitch is gone but so is my custom content and it took me WEEKS to download and install it all.
all the content is still in the packages folder as per your guide but NOTHING shows up I used to get a nice little screen that said basically that CC was installed wheen running the game. now I don't and I don't know how to fix it aside from reinstalling from the beginning.
which I have I took out everything in the package folder and put it back in and when that didn't work (it always worked with sims 2...) i have began reinstalling by hand one file at a time having it 'override' what's there. now a few things have shown in installed content maybe five or six
out of the thousands in the package folder,

WHAT GIVES?!?!?!?!

this is all on windows 7 on a good strong computer.

Hello,

Well, If the CC box does not appear you broke something. For Sims 4, you can right click on the Sims 4 game in 'My games' on Origin and select 'repair game', but Sims 3 does not have that option. Before you do anything further/major like reinstalling your game, I'd contact Sims 3 support at EA. They can run you through some fix options. It's their game, they are the experts.

FYI - You do not have to test each piece of CC individually, Put half in there and see if it loads, If it does not, take half out and test the remaining part, then you can narrow it down quicker. Usually, if you are having a problem with cc, when you did not have that problem previously, it could be due to your more recent downloads. Just test those. It is tedious to test CC so be systematic about it.

Make sure you put your CC in the correct places.
See if the resource.cfg file and your Downloaded CC is in the correct places.
Resource.cfg goes in My Documents>Electronic Arts> The Sims 3>Mods

All your 'package' CC files go in a folder called Packages,
My Documents>Electronic Arts> The Sims 3>Mods>Packages and no where else. You can subfolder the packages cc.

The My Documents>Electronic Arts> The Sims 3>Downloads folder is only for Sims3 packs.

In case you've deleted your Resource.cfg file, I've attached it for you.
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  Resource.7z (295 Bytes, 6 downloads) - View custom content
Banned
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 8:04 PM
ok are you saying the resource file goes in the plain old mods folder? or the package folder? if just the mods then Eureaka! if packages then I have no clue still thanks though
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#4 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 8:07 PM
ok are you saying the resource file goes in the plain old mods folder? or the package folder? if just the mods then Eureaka! if packages then I have no clue still thanks though

Resource.cfg goes in MODS only.

All your CC with .package goes into MODS\Packages

All your cc that has .sims3pack goes into \TheSims 3\DOWNLOADS
Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#5 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 8:09 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Installing Custom Content
    Please read our great guides to downloading and installing custom content for Sims 3.

Game_Help:TS3_Custom_Contentwiki This link contains everything you've ever wanted to know about installing .package and sims3packs.

Blenderized to Pieces
retired moderator
#6 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 8:10 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • Sims 3 - Incompatible CC
    Every time you patch or install a new EP, most of your hacks will need to be updated or removed. If you are having any kind of problem and you've just patched or installed a new EP, remove all your custom content and delete your cache files. Then, unless the problem is specific to one sim or lot, make a new town and see if the issue occurs there too.

If, having done so, the issue is fixed, then you have some incompatible CC. Any hacks - things which change the game's behaviour - are likely suspects and should be updated or removed; things like objects, clothes, hairs etc are generally safe.

You can try this one to see if it helps.
Banned
Original Poster
#7 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 9:20 PM
ok I think I found the trouble mods doesn't have that file. WHOO! and in the cashe folder theres some stuff should I delete or leave alone? and by goes you mean just send it there don't install it?

when you said sims3packs go in downloads?
Banned
Original Poster
#8 Old 3rd May 2015 at 2:14 PM
still going on how long til you get it fixed?
Banned
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th May 2015 at 2:44 AM
[QUOTE=porkypine]Resource.cfg goes in MODS only.

All your CC with .package goes into MODS\Packages

All your cc that has .sims3pack goes into \TheSims 3\DOWNLOADS[/QUOTE

i don't understand this. first you say cc goes into mods/packages then you say it goes into the sims 3/downloads

which is it?
Mad Poster
#10 Old 5th May 2015 at 5:12 AM
Both. There are two different kinds of CC, depending on what it is and in some cases how the developer chooses to provide it. If they offer both as a convenience, you are meant to use one or the other.

Sims3pack file CC goes into Downloads (the one in your game folder). From there it is read by your Launcher and installed, when you direct it to be installed.
Package file CC goes into Mods/Packages and gets read by the game from there.

Mods, that is program modifications (as opposed to objects like clothes and furniture) are always Package based. And in answer to your previous question, in case you still weren't sure, the Resource.cfg file belongs hanging out loose in Mods. Not in Packages.

still going on how long til you get it fixed?
I don't think anyone has answered this because they don't understand what needs to be fixed. If your Resource.cfg file has somehow landed in the wrong place, just move it to the correct one.
Banned
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th May 2015 at 5:34 PM
im trying to isolate the problem no fixes that i have tried have worked.

I still don't get the downloads thing though what do you mean by "goes into downloads"?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 5th May 2015 at 5:44 PM
"goes into Downloads" means that you put it into the folder called Downloads, and then it will show up in the game launcher.

Perhaps if you tell us what cache files you deleted the first time, we can tell you if you deleted the right files, so this doesn't happen again.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 5th May 2015 at 5:54 PM
um i deleted the cashe files that were cashe files? are there any other kind? *confused*
Mad Poster
#14 Old 5th May 2015 at 5:58 PM
There are files such as those in the DCCache folder that shouldn't be deleted.

What if you were to take some screenshots of your Game Folder, Mods, Mods/Packages, and Downloads folders that illustrate what you are trying to install and what isn't being recognized, upload them to a site that handles pic files, and share the links so we can see what you are doing?
Banned
Original Poster
#15 Old 5th May 2015 at 6:01 PM
ok how do i do that?

wait i just read that again

you're saying you don't know what custom content is since you want me to draw a picture of it?

sorry low on sleep i've been after this thing til 8 or 9 am the past few days so my brain is mush
Mad Poster
#16 Old 5th May 2015 at 6:06 PM
You can easily take screenshots with the Snipping Tool that comes built in with Windows 7.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...s/snipping-tool
Banned
Original Poster
#17 Old 5th May 2015 at 6:09 PM
thanks. what do I do then?

I'm also stunned here that you're a member here and yet claim you don't know what custom content is.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 5th May 2015 at 6:14 PM
I was saying we don't know what you are doing that isn't working and a picture might help point out something that's in the wrong place. But if that leads to more stress than it's worth, then forget it. I suggest you find someone who knows how this works and show you in person or someone you trust who would be willing to do a remote access session into your computer and fix it for you.

LOL -- Okay, I'm done here. You have a MTS moderator and a Wiki Organizer from NRaas (me) here trying to help you out and now you're just being silly.
Banned
Original Poster
#19 Old 5th May 2015 at 6:16 PM
sorry my brain is not working i'm so tired! this problem is nuts i'm obsessed with it!

and I'm sorry I thought by your post you really wanted me to tell you what custom content looked like! ugh my bad
Banned
Original Poster
#20 Old 5th May 2015 at 6:32 PM
ugh! you broke my game! i put everything i've downloaded into downloads and now thew launcher crashes!
Mad Poster
#21 Old 5th May 2015 at 7:22 PM
ugh! you broke my game! i put everything i've downloaded into downloads and now thew launcher crashes!

So take them back out again. And your threatening to report me to the FBI for breaking your game by way of PM was amusing, but I'm almost certain a violation of this site's TOS.