Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 6:09 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 12th Aug 2018 at 10:31 PM.
Joint-Contest Idea to Develop: "The Ad-Sims"
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in participating in a potential contest about creating ads for your Sim's world. This would be a joint-contest for all forums.

The contest would have a theme for each round, and would be awarded out of 50 points per round. Scoring would be a combination of judges, this website's forum goers, and a slight bonus from the Internet public.

I'd like to get feedback on how fair you thing scoring would look like on the following criteria. I'm looking for an interesting way to score contestants rather than using only assigned judges. I'm wondering of a way to get forum members who lurk in contests to participate without obligation to maintain their presence in the entire contest:

Is such a contest feasible and interesting? Or does this feel like work? I'm thinking of doing 4 rounds maximum, maybe even 3 rounds.

I don't have an idea for an application round. What do you think?

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 13th Jun 2018 at 4:11 PM
Does it have to be a video? Cause I want to make a poster or something like that. And another question, should the font be Simish?
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 12:17 AM
Hum, posters are simpler to do, and are more accessible to do versus video editing.

I'm sure more people are acquainted using photo editing software versus video editing software. That could be an idea. I'll think about what type of scoring to develop.

See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 12:20 AM
As there are currently two TS2 contests running right now and a photo contest that I know about that someone else is planning to post soon after they are finished - I would wait awhile. it's funny how we had very few contests for awhile and now we get a downpour. of course your idea is very different so you might be able to run it at the same time.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:08 AM
Oh for sure @joandsarah77, this is just an idea in development. I have no plans on running such a contest any time soon. And if anyone else sees this and thinks "oh those are some ideas that could be interesting", then certain I'd welcome seeing other's take on the theme of creating Sims advertisements.

Incidentally, I PM'ed HystericalParoxysm a question about whether I can solicit feedback from Simmers of the other forums by posting a thread with a link to this post. That way, there would be more people viewing this thread and potentially receiving feedback and ideas from folks on what they think about such a contest and what improvements or ideas can be floated by. Am I allowed to do such a thing to the Sims 3 and Sims 4 feedback forum?

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:13 AM
Wondering why you pm'ed HP since she has been retired for a while now and has nothing to do with contests. You might do better pm'ing justJones.
( heaven, joandsarah77, justJones, Lyralei, maxon, gdayars, Karen Lorraine) are the contest board moderators.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 3:26 AM
Oh I PM'ed HystericalParoxysm because of the Announcment thread above saying Rules for this forum - READ BEFORE POSTING HERE!. I thought since she started the thread that she could answer it. I wasn't aware that there are particular moderators for contest related questions.

Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 14th Jun 2018 at 6:14 PM
This is a great idea. I don't think I'll ever have the time or talent to create such videos, but I had to judge ads for a french class forever ago and I loved it. If you need judges I'd like to try that.

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 15th Jun 2018 at 3:04 AM
@d_dgjdhh if you go here http://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=611 9 to the front page of this board (front page of any of the boards) and scroll down to the bottom you can see who the moderators for that board are. On this board, it's spladoum, porkypine, Nysha, heaven, justJones, maybesomethingdunno, Karen Lorraine and HugeLunatic. That way you can click on a name to pm them about something. JustJones is the moderator who handles approving contests.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 4:42 PM
I like the idea, even though I don't have the faintest idea how to make a sims 2 video. I would love to see the entries.
Instructor
#11 Old 20th Jun 2018 at 10:00 PM
When I read that thread first, I thought "Hey ! It's not common !" and I was and am very interested. I've never done a sim video but it could be the start of something. And I think there's a lot of story movie makers that might want to do something different for once.
If you want your contest to be about pictures too, I think it should be two different categories : advetising videos and advertising posters.
Last, I love the idea that it won't be mandatory to go for every round, because I don't have much time and I've never succeeded to do a whole contest.

I believe in the "Thanks" button and its amazing powers !!!
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 21st Jun 2018 at 4:47 AM
Thank you for the feedback.

A new question, directed for staff on a contest's awarding scheme.

Say this competition is administered in 3 rounds. Although each round is contained separately from each other as if it were 3 mini-contests. Each contestant can participate in one, two, or all three mini-contests. Contestants register to participate in a particular medium by making a post announcing what medium they wish to partake in.

Here's a timeline example of how long the medium type will be allowed to be worked on. All contestants register on the Days 1 to 8 of the competition's existence. Then after registration is over, contestants work on their creation(s). The timeline is overlapped so that on Days 9 to 16, three types of medium are being worked on. Days 17 to 24, two types of medium are being worked on. Days 25 to 32, only the video-based medium is worked on. Then after each portion of the competition is over, judging and voting commences. Scores are then released after the judging and voting are tabulated:

So let's see the image-based ad. Contestants who participate in the image round have 8 days to compose a creation of some sort. After 8 days are over, the image round closes. The judges examine the images, and can take up to 8 days to judge. There is also voting by the forum members on which ads they like.

After the scores and votes are tallied, the top scorer of the image based round wins that portion of the contest, and staff gives a 1st prize ribbon to that contestant for winning that part of the competition.

The same type of awarding would occur with the top scorer of the audio-based portion of the competition, and another 1st place award is given for the video-based portion as well.

Basically, if this ad-creation competition last for 3 "rounds", there can be three winners, and three ribbons awarded (one for each winner of the image-based, audio-based, and video-based rounds).

Is staff opened to awarding three 1st place ribbons in such a scenario? Perhaps it can be a condition to the contestants that if they register to partake in too many portions of the competition, and they do not finish their obligations as soon as they receive the top score in one category, that award will not be granted (and instead the next top scorer who completed their registered entries would be the winner)?
Screenshots