Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 9:31 PM Last edited by MTS2Staff : 12th Oct 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Default Get the patch! (For University or Nightlife owners) + Other MTS2 News + Donations
Hey everybody,

Sims 2 Patch News...

Your prayers have been answered. The patch is out. Get it here.

Make sure you download the correct patch:

If you have University only, download the University patch.

If you have University and Nightlife, download the Nightlife patch. This patch includes all the University fixes. Download this patch even if you don't have University installed.

Before installation, we recommend doing the following:

1) Remove your hacks
- Use Clean Installer to scan your Downloads folder & remove or disable hacks (which renames the files to .off)
- Some hacks may not be compatible after you patch your game. Check the fixes list carefully.

2) Disable your custom content (if you have Nightlife installed) or make a back up of them in some place outside the EA Games folder in My Documents.

3) Remember that the patch will touch files in C:\Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2\ directories. If you have modified any of those files, back those up and revert them back to the originals.

4) Patch the game per the instructions on the patch site.

So we can better help you, we will only support patched games. If you have the original Sims 2 game only (no expansion packs) and have not patched, please patch your game as well. Choose the CD version or the DVD version, depending on what you originally purchased. Maxis releases patches in hopes to fix the bugs that have been reported to them. If you don't patch and you report a problem to them, they will tell you to patch. If any issues arise after patching, then we will do our best to help you.

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS THREAD TO POST YOUR PROBLEMS POST-PATCH. If you have problems with your game while you are applying the patch or can not run the game post-patch, please post here. Let's keep this thread on-topic. Any support questions will be deleted.

Thanks for cooperating.

In Other news...

As you've probably noticed, MTS2 recently had a makeover and became MTS2 v2. This was quite a big change in terms of site design and a lot of people were unprepared for the change and prefer the "old" design.

We've listened to people's concerns and have developed a set of options which you can find in your user control panel, which are explained below.

Edit Options
Home Page
The "home page" is the page that loads when you type in www.modthesims2.com or when you click 'Home' on the navigation bar.
If you don't like the new home page, you can opt to have the old one as your default. Alternatively, you can opt to have any of the sections as your default home page, or even the Site Map.

Style Sheet
You have two choices. Rounded corners, or not rounded corners. The difference is self explanatory, however here are two pretty screenshots showing you the difference.
Rounded
Not rounded

Core Pages
A "Core page" is the name given to the blue pages that appear when you click a section on the navigation bar.
If you'd prefer to use the old-style, i.e. go straight to the forum listing, you can tick this box and you'll automatically be redirected.

Downloads - use alternative downloads
Are you getting error messages when trying to download files or view thumbnails? Tick this box.

Downloads - Use old thread view for downloads.
When you view a download or hack, you're shown it in a new "download browser" which contains a wealth of information. The screenshots below compare the two.
If you'd prefer to use the old style, tick this box. However please be aware that features of the new browser, such as any meshes that are needed and any recolors that have been done of the item, will not show in the old view.
New style
Old style

Edit Profile
Birth Date
If your birth date is incomplete or blank, please fill it in here. It will not be shown anywhere publicly.

Adult Content
If you're over 18, you can view adult content if you wish. If you choose to do so, the adult forums will show on the Site Map and in the download browser on the core pages.

Games Purchased
Please tell us which expansion packs you have. When you make a post on the site, the packs you have will show under your name. If you're making a comment or asking a question where the packs you have might be relevant, the information is already there.

While you're there...
Why not have a look through the other fields and tell us a little about yourself such as your hobbies. Please also double check the gender field, just in case.
Note the optional and additional information will show up on your public profile.

Note that your birth date and games purchased are mandantory fields. In other words, you won't be able to save your modified profile unless these are filled in.

Finally...

Finally, please remember that MTS2 is a free site. We provide downloads, help, forums, competitions, games (over on S2C) and chatter - all this on 8 servers and manned by a dedicated staff (we don't get paid you know :D). I'd just like to point out the MTS2 Supporter scheme (see the Donate box on any of the core pages), or the donate button.

We are able to stay free based on your donations and goodwill so if you are able to donate, please do so and keep downloads free.

Regards,
MTS2 Staff
3 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Oct 2005 at 9:48 PM
thank you for that
I haven't found any bugs in my game after installing nightlife so far.
It looked like nightlife fixed my university bugs. I did take my hacks out before installing nightlife and I have not put them back in.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 12:42 AM
Will there be a list of what hacks are incompatible/compatible with the new patches soon? I hope so . . . I just went through all my hacks when Nightlife came and just fixed my game (had a problem with one of my old neighborhoods . . . )! Hate to have to do that all over again . . . :^(

Back playing Sims 2 after 10 years . . .
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 1:33 AM Last edited by Duschenka : 13th Oct 2005 at 1:52 AM.
Well, that was fun )
For once the update worked fine,no problem at all )
I tested the Invisible Censor Blur (not BHAV based) and that to worked like a charm, so i am a happy camper )
Thank you for the news)

Oh and crammy`s hack for male genitalia also works fine.

Just realised that i sounded like a real perv Lol )
Instructor
#5 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 1:47 AM
awsome... does anybody know what is patched? does it have it posted on the officical site?

-edit-

nevermind... stupid me, its all posted on the official site.

:moose: canada eh (I just found this moose one)

-edit #2-

i dont really see the point of patching my game , i dont play it anymore... :P
Field Researcher
#6 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 3:58 AM
Thanks for the news, daysies!!

"Ride to live, live to ride...wheels of fire, forever!!!!!!!!!"
Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf
Test Subject
#7 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 4:02 AM
i installed the patch and it wiped out my neighborhood

i feel dead inside.

creating gods using the cheat machine is fun for about 2 seconds.. but without motivations your sims will never do anything.
Inventor
#8 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 4:24 AM
My ingame problems at this point are minimal so I think I'll wait a bit.. Watch other brave patchers first
I'm not feeling so brave with this just yet. lol
Thanks for the information and update
Happy Simmin'!!
xts

(Quote) ~ "If it isn't one thing, it's going to be another. It is usually one thing. Oh man, is it a mother" (The Mother of All Things) - PB
The Quiet One
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 5:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Avialle
Will there be a list of what hacks are incompatible/compatible with the new patches soon? I hope so . . . I just went through all my hacks when Nightlife came and just fixed my game (had a problem with one of my old neighborhoods . . . )! Hate to have to do that all over again . . . :^(

There will be no list here as each creator is responsible for testing it in their game or relying on the feedback of others on the threads themselves. I removed all the hacks that the patch fixed and I still have 33 good ones that I put back. NO problems whatsoever.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 5:41 AM
Yepp, same with me,only i removed them all before i installed the update,and reinnstalled them one by one, but i only have 7 tough )
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Duschenka
Well, that was fun )
For once the update worked fine,no problem at all )
I tested the Invisible Censor Blur (not BHAV based) and that to worked like a charm, so i am a happy camper )
Thank you for the news)

Oh and crammy`s hack for male genitalia also works fine.

Just realised that i sounded like a real perv Lol )

Exactly what what I thought. You make a good point about the no censor patch. I was careful to use Quaxi's version for the same reason and came away with a flawless installation of the patch.

For anyone who might be wondering what other mods I have installed I can give you my list:

Quaxi's no blur
Insimenator (UV version latest update)
Inteenimator (latest release including some "flavorpack" modules).
No jealousy at all 2

I didn't have to move a thing. The patch worked fine.

After what I went through getting University to go in finally this was a welcome change.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 7:34 AM
I'm being very careful with this patch. I'm backing up EVERYTHING onto a CD. That way it can be restored no matter what. The last patch did more harm than good to me the first time. I had to uninstall, reinstall, then re-add my downloads. Don't want to chance losing more.

I open my eyes and look to the blue sky. One day I'll have the wings I need to fly away from here.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 7:46 AM
Everything on one(!) cd ?
I needed 2 dvd`s.
Ok i admit it I am a dowloadoholic Lol)

I totally agree on playing it safe, course the last time it really messed up my game too,
but it`s all forgiven Maxis and i still love you for makin it in the first place )
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 10:04 AM
Well it's easy to have confidence when I have everything stored seperately in their zipfiles from the beginning. If I had had to do a clean install it would have been easy enough. ;-)
Field Researcher
#15 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 11:29 AM
daysies, thanks for the news and link! I followed the simple directions you were so kind to include, and the patch installed with no problems. I have found no problems with my downloads after moving the folder back in. I think (hope!) Maxis did a good job on this one. I have tested some of the known issues that were fixed and they look ok. The potions get tested today. We will see how that goes. Thanks again.

Burn The midnight oil, it will be daylight soon...
Banned
#16 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 12:17 PM
Can I just emphasise something about hacks.

A hack is not a simple addon for the game. It actually fiddles with game code so the game does something else. If you get two hacks that modify the same bit of code, there can be problems.
If you want an explanation of what a hack actually does, click here

That means two things:
  1. Even if a hack *seems* to work, it may have unexpected side effects that you can't see
  2. Posting a list of what does/doesn't work is all very well, but it's always different depending on what each of your hacks does. That's why there is no definitive "what does/doesn't work list", because some hacks make it to both lists. It's all dependant on what else you have.
To see if a hack works, both after Nightlife and after this patch, please check the original author's thread and even then remember that it can clash with other hacks.

Please do not post here and say "this works" and "this doesn't work" because of the reasons I mentioned above.
Test Subject
#17 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 12:37 PM
Hmm.........agreeing with XTS, I read the list of fixes, and the cell phone thing is the only one I'd actually noticed. Ipso facto I'm not going to bother with this patch unless I hear that not having it interferes with future thingsthat I want to download.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 2:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bairy
Please do not post here and say "this works" and "this doesn't work" because of the reasons I mentioned above.

If this is in reference to my list, all I was saying was that the patch worked. It installed fine. It ran. The excutable did its job uninterrupted this time. With University the story was much different.

There is no agreement among the authors on my list yet whether their mods are all compatible with one another so soon after NL was released (excepting Inteenimator and Insiminator which do claim to be with one another). Why would I go out on a limb and claim to know they were compatible? I didn't say anything about that.

I know what I see in my game, and have even been known to send out a bug report or two if I do see something odd.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 2:43 PM
Well, some of what everyone said hear is reasuring except for alxian . . . sorry, you lost your entire neighborhood! :^( I'm going to make a back-up of what I have right now after testing it (I just removed the karaoke-fix hack, since the patch claims to fix this) and see what happens. I only have about 8 hacks, and some of which you guys already mentioned.

However, I read over at the InSimenator site that InTeen has some features in it's latest release that aren't going to work with the patch . . . unless jase has updated it (haven't been there yet . . . ) But glad to see that overall it still works, Jerome. (I don't have any of the flavorpack add-ons, though).

Back playing Sims 2 after 10 years . . .
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 2:48 PM
ok now i read this and it makes sence to make the games play better. and to find things eaiser. what if you have hacks in your game.? and they arent giving you any problems. should i still get rid of them?
Banned
#21 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jehrome
If this is in reference to my list,

It wasn't

I actually meant to post what I said much earlier but forgot, your post did remind me but I wasn't replying to you specifically. I can see why it could be seen that way however.

Basically, there may have been a chance that people would start comparing and swapping and I want to nip it before it starts, rather than after

Quote: Originally posted by poohjc2002
what if you have hacks in your game.? and they arent giving you any problems. should i still get rid of them?

We're advising that you at least disable them for now because we don't know what problems they could cause.
Also, the patch has actually fixed a whole heap of bugs, some of which might be covered by temporary hacks.
Therefore our advise is disable until the patch is installed and happy, and then bring them in a few at a time, bearing in mind all the current advice on hacks.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 4:05 PM
Thank god. I thought I was being unclear.

No harm then.

I was trying to help others be as lazy with it as I was.

Thanks for clearing it up.
Test Subject
#23 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 7:52 PM
i installed the patch, and now my game doesn't work at all... when i put the nightlife disk in, it goes to install the game... if i click on the desktop icon, it gives me two errors: some files were corrupted during the last intallation & please make sure there are no other Sims 2 applications or programs running.

Que pasa?!
Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 8:02 PM
Just a reminder, if you go to install the patch, and you find that it closes the program almost immediately after you select run, that it probably isn't anything to do with the game. When this happens, it means you need to temporarily disable your virus scanner, as patching these game files is simalar to what a worm does to your computer files and the scanner will try to stop it. Hope this will help
Field Researcher
#25 Old 13th Oct 2005 at 10:12 PM
I think I'm gonna share my impressions concerning the new patch... I spent whole day fixing my game after it's installation and still haven't finished.

I removed all hacks and downloads before installing it and everything seemed fine. After putting them back and playing for some hour, I noticed, that two of my houses with whole families completely disappeared! They were those, I played and saved after installing the patch. Oh, God bless the backups...

I decided to completely reinstall the game, I deleted all hacks and patched the whole thing again. It seemed working flawlessly for some time (no houses vanishing) until I found out, that some of my custom clothes (apparently only those created recently and not used by any existing sim) were not showing up in CAS, nor in game, nor in Bodyshop! This is happening even though they are present in the Downloads and SavedSims folder. I checked this with Clean Installer, the're all enabled and should be working. I really don't understand what might be causing this. Besides that, my game crushes each time I try to put some clothing into a custom collection, but what bothers me most, is that I might have lost some of my newly created stuff.

Have anyone please experienced something similar to that described above?
Page 1 of 4