Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th May 2016 at 1:55 AM Last edited by cookiesandmore : 25th May 2016 at 2:19 AM. Reason: Wrong section
Default Installing .package files!! help
Ok I'm having some trouble. So i'm trying to download some cc from a website and the files i get are the .package files.. I have my mods folder, overrides and resource.cfg.. I have EVERTHING. Also have Winrar. The problem with WinRAR is whenever i try to open my WinRAR folder i get this message that says the archive is an unknown format or damaged?? what? i had no problem before. Please help me . Ill provide pictures for a better understanding. Thank you.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 25th May 2016 at 6:11 AM
If WinRAR is working for you otherwise, it's possible that you are repeatedly getting incomplete downloads from the site in question. Or repeatedly getting the same incomplete download, try clearing your browser's download cache or trying a different browser.

Or if I've misunderstood that, perhaps you could give 7-zip a try. It's free/open source and handles rars as well as 7zs.
http://www.7-zip.org
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 25th May 2016 at 11:48 AM
It seems the problem here is that the .package files have become associated with WinRAR in the first place. Files of the .package type don't need to be opened at all; just put them in your Mods folder.
The only program that should possibly be associated with .package files is S3PE, if you use that. Otherwise you don't need to run/double-click them at all.
Optimally you would want to remove the file association so that Windows doesn't try to open the files with WinRAR, but unfortunately that's tricky -- there's no tool for that built into the operating system.
Site Helper
#4 Old 27th May 2016 at 4:06 PM
You can always change it to associate them with NotePad if you don't want to get s3pe. (That was Inge's suggestion to someone who had uninstalled SimPE and wanted to know what to do about the file association.) Just remember not to type anything, and if it asks you if you wish to save changes when you close it again, say "NO!!!!!"

Or change the association to the game itself, but waiting for the game to load when you didn't want to play it and had just accidentally double clicked a file can get extremely annoying.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th May 2016 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
You can always change it to associate them with NotePad if you don't want to get s3pe. (That was Inge's suggestion to someone who had uninstalled SimPE and wanted to know what to do about the file association.) Just remember not to type anything, and if it asks you if you wish to save changes when you close it again, say "NO!!!!!"

I would recommend against that. The risk that you accidentally type something and then save the changes, because you're in a hurry and can't be bothered to make sure that you really want to save whatever it is that the operating system warns you is unsaved, is too big. In that case it's better to just leave the association as it is; some program will be loaded no matter what if you accidentally double-click, but at least if you leave the association with WinRAR there's no risk that the file is accidentally altered.
Forum Resident
#6 Old 28th May 2016 at 5:09 PM
If you are running Windows (I don't know about Mac), you can go into the control panel and associate files by type. The only thing is, you need to have alternate programs installed in order to associate them first. I would recommend installing 7zip, and sim3pe, (it is a great program! learn it, and you will love it) and then go into your control panel. If you have Windows 10, it will allow you to go deeper, past the defaults for main programs (like music associations, etc) and associate by file type. You will have a billion gazillion file types, but you only need to worry about your package files. Be aware though, that if you run multiple games on one 'puter (I have sims 3 and sims 4), ALL package files will associate with one program.