Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 9:55 PM
Default Converting 3ds mesh to a Sims3 Object?
I created a mesh for one of my projects; it looks fine. Now i cant figure out how to package it up as an object, nor even how to import it into the sims. Various tutorials suggest using milkshape, which i installeled, but it wont export to sims 3 - it gives me an error message, something about database or whatever.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 11:29 PM
When installing Milkshape you will also need to place the plugins for either obj tool or TSRW in the MS Program Files folder. You then use that format when importing/exporting. 3ds files are not directly compatible with TS3 and you will need to use MS. Creating your package is also in the tutorials. This one by Ellacharm3d covers everything from start to finish. I have no idea what type of error your talking about with a database, so you need to be a bit more specific about what you were doing when you received that error, and what you have already done.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2010 at 11:37 PM
i downloaded the plugin from here http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=363908 but the sims3 export is giving me a problem. In addition how do i keep the textures on the object when i import into the game? i exported as obj as well, but when i open it up in MS its upside down, or sideways.....
Alchemist
#4 Old 30th Jul 2010 at 12:15 AM
JM to make an object for S3 you first need to choose an EA item that is similar to what you are making to use as your clone. You need to decompile that with the obj tool. Then you need to bring that clone into MS along with your object. You need to delete the clone and assign the joint(s) from the clone to your object. Then you can export it to overwrite the clone.

This is all explained in the tutorial HL linked to. Have you looked at that yet?

If you're getting an error message could you take a screenshot of it or provide the text of the error you're getting?

To keep the textures on the object you will need to map your object prior to exporting it using the plugins. You will then need to export the dds IMGs for the object you cloned using s3pe. There are usually 3 or 4 of those depending on the object you've cloned. Each will need to be modified so that it reflects the mapping of your object. Then they can be reimported back into the package using s3pe. Again, this is all explained in the tutorial HL linked to. That tutorial is very comprehensive and has screenshots showing the steps. The reason for each step is explained clearly. I highly recommend you take a look at it.
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 12:58 AM
Default help!
I wanna add characters that have already been made for the sims 3 onto my 3DS version of the sims 3 and I don't know how... someone help me and give me a detailed guide that beginners like me can understand. Thanks I'd really appreciate your help and reply to my email: [email protected]
Field Researcher
#6 Old 12th Jul 2011 at 2:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SoulEaterSimsRequester
I wanna add characters that have already been made for the sims 3 onto my 3DS version of the sims 3 and I don't know how... someone help me and give me a detailed guide that beginners like me can understand. Thanks I'd really appreciate your help and reply to my email: [email protected]

There is no way to do that sorry

Oh and nice job hijacking a thread
Test Subject
#7 Old 5th Jan 2013 at 5:03 PM
All you need to do is open Autodesk 3ds Max, drag your textures onto the objects, then EXPORT it as a .FBX. make sure you triangulated your mesh, the import it on TSR Workshop (object must be close to your new object's size!)