Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2011 at 9:27 PM Last edited by alexpilgrim : 22nd May 2011 at 4:48 AM.
Default Medieval Walls
I was a bit frustrated having to decorate my Royal Palace with walls that looked like they belonged more in a run-down tavern, so I made a few walls and thought I might as well share them. I started extracting EA textures from TS3, but I got carried away and made a few more elaborate ones. Some of them are not strictly "Medieval", rather more Gothic, Renaissance or Tudor, but the game includes costumes up to 1600, so you know...

A few things you should know:

- Technically these are Sims 3 walls, but I made them for my TSM game and they work fine. I haven't figured out if it even possible to edit TSM walls (including two-story high designs and the repeat pattern feature), so these are just 1-tile, 1-story (like many of TSM EA walls, by the way).

- I had to use higher resolution images to have them render properly in TSM, which makes the files heavier (between 1,6 and 2,2 MB), I've marked them clearly in case you don't want to keep them all.

- I had to pack them with plain color textures otherwise TSM wouldn't "recognize" them. They're a bit bleh at first, so to make them look as nice as in the in the snapshots you need to recolor them once you place them. All the textures I used in the previews are original TSM patterns. I also noticed the original texture is a tiny bit blurry but once you recolor them they get nice and sharp. Go figure...

- You need to have your textures set on "High" (in the options menu) for them to show really nicely, but object textures has nothing to do with walls, so that can be on medium, if you need to. UPDATE: Actually, no, sorry, I checked and once you recolor them they look good enough with the textures on medium, high textures can really slow your game down...

- For the "Royal" walls I recommend placing one of each (there's three in the set, a 1-tile panel, and a 2-tile mural with left and right part), recoloring it, and saving the recolor as a preset, it will be easier to decorate the rest of the room. In the snapshot you can see the walls with two different recolors, one more "grand" for the Throne Room, and one more "domestic" for the bedroom.

- You'll find them in the Paneling section, I think they cost 4 $.

- To install just place in your Packages folder.

Have fun!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  axpl_wallsTSM.zip (3.61 MB, 5270 downloads) - View custom content

"Deep down I'm pretty superficial"

Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st May 2011 at 10:40 PM
Awesome! Thank-you!!
Test Subject
#3 Old 1st May 2011 at 11:19 PM
These are gorgeous! I was having the same thoughts, even in my merchants house, where in theory he would be more wealthy, it bugged that it had the shoddy cracked plaster walls. I especially love #14, Thank you very much!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 2nd May 2011 at 12:01 AM
I haven't been too disappointed with the walls in TSM. i've managed to make some pretty nice looking ones with what is available be default. But more variety is always good and these look very nice!
Test Subject
#5 Old 2nd May 2011 at 5:12 AM
Beautiful work!!!
Instructor
#6 Old 2nd May 2011 at 6:53 AM
Lovely! I love the walls with the Gothic carvings and especially the Royal walls. Thanks!

"Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio."

- William Shakespere ~ Hamlet
Test Subject
#7 Old 2nd May 2011 at 7:06 AM
These are lovely, thank you so much!
Field Researcher
#8 Old 2nd May 2011 at 7:57 PM
Awesome. I'm gonna have to download these.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 2nd May 2011 at 10:52 PM
alex, I'm going to ask the dumb question - how do I recolor your walls? They're awesome, btw!
Instructor
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd May 2011 at 12:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mflaha55
alex, I'm going to ask the dumb question - how do I recolor your walls? They're awesome, btw!

In "Furnish" mode choose the "Create a Style" tool, click on the wall and you get a pop-up window with the textures, choose one from the category you want for each preset. You can also save the recolored wall in the top left window to use later on. Is that what you meant?
Screenshots

Lab Assistant
#11 Old 3rd May 2011 at 12:28 AM
OMG! They look awesome! Downloaded them, gonna try them very very soon! Thank You very much for sharing!

My Sims Photos
"Ok, it’s a Jammy Dodger but I was promised tea."
Field Researcher
#12 Old 3rd May 2011 at 2:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alexpilgrim
In "Furnish" mode choose the "Create a Style" tool, click on the wall and you get a pop-up window with the textures, choose one from the category you want for each preset. You can also save the recolored wall in the top left window to use later on. Is that what you meant?

I do believe that's what I meant! Thanks for the information. Cheers!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 4th May 2011 at 3:17 AM
These are very cool!
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 4th May 2011 at 3:29 AM
WOW! I thought I was the only one who cared about walls and floors I love redecorating, and these are great.

Does your first point imply that they work in TS3 too? If so you might consider submitting em at MTS, I bet a lot of folks would enjoy em. (Looks like some of em may be converted TS3 walls, but not all, right?)
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th May 2011 at 7:10 AM
Thanks everybody for the nice comments! I tried to make the packages smaller but I couldn't manage to make them work in TSM, I hope the file size is not too much of an issue...

Srikandi, I made a TS3 version, though these work perfectly in TS3 they look nicer with added textures instead of the plain colors I had to use for them to be usable in TSM, I'll upload them soon.

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 4th May 2011 at 3:05 PM
These are beautiful. Thanks so much for sharing.

. . . because sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hang onto.
Scholar
#17 Old 4th May 2011 at 3:11 PM
Whoa, thanks alexpilgrim! These looks super awesome - beautiful textures, and they look even better in TSM than TS3, lol... can't wait to go around and re-decorate all my Hero buildings now - they so need it, lol

...Titanium white...
Forum Resident
#18 Old 4th May 2011 at 4:42 PM
Yay! No more shoddy walls for my Monarch! Thank you!

~ Guysim's Behance Profile ~

"When This baby goes 88 miles per hour, you're gonna see some serious !*@#"
- Doctor Emment Brown A.K.A Doc, Back To The Future
Mad Poster
#19 Old 6th May 2011 at 5:23 PM
Alexpilgrim, I think I've followed all the directions for using your walls, and I've redone it three times, but I can't find the walls anywhere. I've followed the sticky for installing package files and added the resource.cfg file, but I can't seem to locate your walls and I love them! Any ideas what I should try next?
Field Researcher
#20 Old 6th May 2011 at 6:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by edejan
Alexpilgrim, I think I've followed all the directions for using your walls, and I've redone it three times, but I can't find the walls anywhere. I've followed the sticky for installing package files and added the resource.cfg file, but I can't seem to locate your walls and I love them! Any ideas what I should try next?

Are you looking under the catagories or are you looking under All (the sideways 8/infinity symbol)? I found them under All.

Have you used any other mods and verify the others work?
Field Researcher
#21 Old 7th May 2011 at 1:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kawaiipd
Are you looking under the catagories or are you looking under All (the sideways 8/infinity symbol)? I found them under All.

They can be found under Walls/Panels. You'll need to scroll down to the third row or so, since they appear after the standard walls.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 7th May 2011 at 4:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kawaiipd

I found them there! Thanks!
Instructor
Original Poster
#23 Old 7th May 2011 at 12:28 PM
Edejan, sorry, I haven't logged in here for a while, glad you found them.

It's funny you can't find them in the paneling section though, that's where they show up in my game. I'll check again see if there's something wrong.

Mad Poster
#24 Old 9th May 2011 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by alexpilgrim
Edejan, sorry, I haven't logged in here for a while, glad you found them.

It's funny you can't find them in the paneling section though, that's where they show up in my game. I'll check again see if there's something wrong.

I have found them in the panel section. Don't know why I couldn't find them here before. So anyway, they're really great! Thanks!
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th May 2011 at 8:38 PM
Outstanding!!
Thank you
Page 1 of 3