Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 11:45 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default Glitch when trying to Propose/Marriage
I am running The Sims 2: Super Collection on Mac, which includes EPs up to Bon Voyage. I have some hacks, mostly the ones that are known as 'must-have', as well a few to suit my play style, which are all the right versions for Bon Voyage. My game runs well except for an issue with marriage.

After two Sims get engaged (without any problem), I try to use Propose/Marriage and they will have the wedding rings above their head (like when they successfully marry), but the proposing Sim will experience a jump bug. Additionally, the marriage just won't work - the Sims will not actually be married. In some cases, though, the non-proposing Sim will get several memories of getting married, while the proposing one will get none. Neither of them will have the wish to get married granted or change their last names, or become spouses in relationship panel/family tree. The option for Propose/Marriage is still there and when used again, just creates more memories without any effect.

I had this happen in 2 different households (before that, everything was fine), and I have reloaded the game several times in between. I also tried removing all my CC at once and in parts but the problem persisted. The only way to get around the glitch was to get them married using Sim Blender, though it just changes family ties, but not grant wishes or give memories. I really don't know what else to try. Is my neighborhood corrupted? I can't use tools like Hood Checker and Hack Conflict Detection Utility as I am using a Mac.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 23rd Apr 2015 at 9:44 PM
Do you have marriage related mods that affect the marriage interaction?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 11:45 AM
I have the mod that asks you which last name to use when Sims marry, and also a mod that causes less jealousy and one that allows break up anytime. But I have used these mods for a while without any issues (Sims were able to get married normally) and the problem just suddenly appeared. I even tried taking out my whole Downloads folder and the issue remained, and I also tried it in a fresh neighborhood.

I am getting more and more worried It's a huge issue for me and while using the Sim Blender or similar is a workaround to get Sims married, it really isn't an acceptable solution in the long term. But I can't think of any other solutions that I haven't tried yet
Mad Poster
#4 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 1:41 PM
You could try and remove those mods and delete your cache files and then restart your game and then try one at a time and see what happens. It could be just a load order change that is needed.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Theorist
#5 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 7:37 PM
A long time ago I had that problem, it was never solved on my part. Since then I read something about past relations may not be ended which can cause a problem with marriages. Maybe someone who knows about this might explain if this may or may not be your problem. I only mention it in the off chance this might be it.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Theorist
#6 Old 24th Apr 2015 at 7:57 PM
Do you have marriagepostmortem by Pescado? And was one of your sims that can't marry a widow(er)? I know that can mess up the ability to get married sometimes.

Is it all families, or just one?

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 10:00 AM Last edited by Vixxen : 26th Apr 2015 at 12:30 PM.
Thank you everyone for replies!

I do have marriagepostmortem (it's one of those mods I consider a 'must-have', so I forgot to mention it separatly) however I tried to remove all CC and it still wouldn't work, even in a new neighborhood. I didn't think to delete the cache files, though, so I'm definitely giving this a try.

Marriages were working fine until a week ago (I did no changes in that time, no new mods, etc.) when suddenly, Antonio Monty wasn't able to marry his townie fiancee - so yes, he's a widower. I thought it was just a random glitch so I used Sim Blender on that occassion. I later tried to marry Kent Capp and Bianca Monty, the engagement was fine but the same problem occured with the marriage, and as far as I know, neither Kent or Bianca are widowers. After removing all CC and the problem didn't get better I tried creating a new neighborhood in case the old one might be corrupted or something, even though it's only in the 2nd rotation... And the problem persisted with two CAS Sims.

EDIT: I removed Downloads and Neighborhoods folders, deleted cache files, started a new neighborhood, the problem with marriage still persisted. However, I then deleted the whole The Sims 2 folder, letting the game generate new one, started a test neighborhood and I was able to get two Sims to get married! I have absolutely no idea what caused the problem, and now I'm going to do more testing as I really hope I can keep at least some most important mods.
Theorist
#8 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 12:31 PM
From what I've seen in comments, marriagepostmortem screws up marriage about 1/3 of the time, with no rhyme or reason. That's why I personally consider it a "never ever" rather than a "must have." It sounds to me like it messed something in your game after you tried to have a widower get married. Clearing the cache might work -- I hope it does! -- but if it doesn't, you might want to try pulling marriagepostmortem and clearing again. If that works, then it'll need to go on your "never ever" list too. If it doesn't work, then I am out of ideas and you may as well keep it in.

Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 5:16 PM
How does it screw up marriages? Do you mean widower marriages only? I've never noticed anything weird :/
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 10:27 PM
A game regeneration can fix certain problems in the folders under Documents. Even when you place back existing neighbourhoods. If after pulling all cc that can be pulled safety a problem persists, that would always be my next thing to do.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#11 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 10:48 PM
@Lili975 I've never used marriagepostmortem myself, but from what I've gather from the comments, it sometimes prevents remarriage involving widow(er)s, and sometimes (not as often) sounds like it messes up marriages generally. Like I say, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to who has trouble and who doesn't. If you have it and you haven't noticed anything weird, then you must be in the 66% of user who have no problems with it, which is awesome. (shrug) Pescado didn't seem interested in tracking down the problem(s), so presumably 33% of the users will still have trouble.

As far as the symptoms I've seen described, IIRC, they're things like the option to get married not showing up, the option to get engaged not showing up, and the widow(er) getting a "cheating" memory even though their spouse is long dead. I think I've seen something about the marriage not "taking," too, similar to what Vixxen is describing.

I'm glad marriagepostmortem is working for you! Some people aren't so lucky, and that's one of the first places I'd look in this case, especially since it seemed to start with an attempted remarriage of a widower. that's all.

Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 5:40 AM
Thanks for the info
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 7:06 PM
Just clearing the cache after removing all CC did not help, however deleting the whole The Sims 2 folder and letting the game generate a new one, worked. However, an odd thing happened, when I just added back the CC, everything worked fine, but when I tried to use a backup of the neighbourhood, the glitch was back (even though before, it would also appear in freshly made neighbourhoods) - this leads me to believe that something strange is going on with that specific neighbourhood, perhaps really due to marriagepostmortem and was triggered by trying to marry a widower. I'm going to try deleting marriagepostmortmem, starting a new Megahood (luckily, I was only on the 2nd rotation) and hope things work fine this time. The actual cause of this issue is still unknown, but at least the game is now playable including the marriages, so unless the problem reappears, I'll just have to settle with that.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Apr 2015 at 3:05 PM
Sorry for double posting but the glitch appears to be back. I started a new Megahood and again, Kent and Bianca are unable to get married. I haven't tried it with others yet, so I'm not sure if they just happen to be glitchy or if it's a global thing. I'm using meetme2theriver's clean subhood templates, so I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with Veronaville, either the template itself or just on my computer. Has anyone ever had issues with any of meetme2theriver's subhood templates? I'm also using them on my PC where it works fine, but I do have all EPs there versus just up to Bon Voyage on my Mac.
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 30th Apr 2015 at 6:39 PM
What a weird problem I really have no idea and I have no knowledge of anything specific to simming on mac or the Ultimate Collection.

However, even though it seems.. not very likely to help, how about trying to propose/get married after drinking the love potion you can buy from the matchmaker? It fixes impossible marriages such as that of the Tricous. I know Kent and Bianca are not resurrected or anything, but at this point, you might want to try that too I guess.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 1st May 2015 at 2:27 AM
I use the cleaned templates too and noticed that the Batbox now has a permanent "Clear Stupid Expressions" option. Until I used her templates, I'd never seen that option before. Also, the first Woohoo with someone flag never seems to set correctly for established Maxis couples. But I've been able to get widowed Sims like Antonio Monty and Denise Jacquet remarried, and seems like Consort Capp has the option to Propose...Engagement as well.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 1st May 2015 at 3:27 AM Last edited by marka93 : 1st May 2015 at 4:53 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Vixxen
Sorry for double posting but the glitch appears to be back. I started a new Megahood and again, Kent and Bianca are unable to get married. I haven't tried it with others yet, so I'm not sure if they just happen to be glitchy or if it's a global thing. I'm using meetme2theriver's clean subhood templates, so I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with Veronaville, either the template itself or just on my computer. Has anyone ever had issues with any of meetme2theriver's subhood templates? I'm also using them on my PC where it works fine, but I do have all EPs there versus just up to Bon Voyage on my Mac.

@Vixxen Are you using the Sub hood or the main hood Veronaville.

And give me your game set up on EP's and SP's and I will go test it in a AGS game.

ADD: I just went and tested both the hood and the sub-hood of Veronaville and in both they can get married with no problems at all.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd May 2015 at 2:43 PM Last edited by Vixxen : 3rd May 2015 at 5:37 PM.
Thank you everyone for your help. It really seems to be a strange problem

I am using subhood Veronaville. I think because it's a problem with that one, I'll try to redownload it and hope it fixes it. Not very likely, but worth giving a shot in case something weird happened when downloading etc.

I'll also try using the love potion. I really hope I can figure something out

EDIT: Sadly, redownloading the Veronaville subhood didn't help I'm going to try the love potion next, but other than that, I'm really running out of ideas, except doing a complete reinstall, and hope that fixes it.

EDIT 2: No matter what I did, even with a full reinstall and redownloading subhood templates, the problem persisted, at least with the two tested Sims - Kent Capp and Bianca Capp in subhood Veronaville. I found out that they work well in the standalone Veronaville though, so I based off my Megahood on Veronaville and so far had no issues, though I have only played a few families now (but the said couple worked fine). So hopefully this is the end of my problems :D