Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 11:55 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, Open for Business
Default Error when i try to start the game.
Hi.

Please help me with this problem, everytime I launch sims 2 it goes into black then out and shows me this:

I translated it for you:

couldn't find some directX 9.0c compatible graphics cards in this system!

be friendly to ensure you that you have a directX 9.0c compatible graphics card, and you have installed the newest drivers from the producer, the appliqué will now be finished

And i have already Direct 9.0c installed!

Please help me
Advertisement
shiny!
retired moderator
#2 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 12:05 PM
This error means there is either a problem with your graphics drivers, your graphics card itself, or your installation of directx.

Try these:
1) Download and install the newest directx from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en
2) Do a clean install of your graphics drivers. Meaning go to add/remove programs and uninstall all traces of your graphics drivers.. anything to do with Nvidia or ATI that you see. Restart your computer and then download and install the newest. If you do not know how to figure out what graphics device you have you can right click on My Computer -> properties -> hardware tab -> device manager button -> click the plus next to 'display adapters' to expand the menu. Once you know what graphics device you have you can get the newest drivers from either ati.com, nvidia.com or intel.com (depending on what you have).
3) Download and install the patches for your base game and your expansions: http://thesims2.ea.com/update/index.php Your profile says you only have the base game and OFB. If this is true you'll need to download 2 patches. If you have more download the patch for each one you have.

You may need to uninstall and then reinstall your game and all expansions after doing this. Make sure to back up your entire EA Games folder under My Docs first or you will lose your game data.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 12:17 PM Last edited by Nc321 : 16th Jul 2008 at 12:46 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by callistra
This error means there is either a problem with your graphics drivers, your graphics card itself, or your installation of directx.

Try these:
1) Download and install the newest directx from here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&DisplayLang=en
2) Do a clean install of your graphics drivers. Meaning go to add/remove programs and uninstall all traces of your graphics drivers.. anything to do with Nvidia or ATI that you see. Restart your computer and then download and install the newest. If you do not know how to figure out what graphics device you have you can right click on My Computer -> properties -> hardware tab -> device manager button -> click the plus next to 'display adapters' to expand the menu. Once you know what graphics device you have you can get the newest drivers from either ati.com, nvidia.com or intel.com (depending on what you have).
3) Download and install the patches for your base game and your expansions: http://thesims2.ea.com/update/index.php Your profile says you only have the base game and OFB. If this is true you'll need to download 2 patches. If you have more download the patch for each one you have.

You may need to uninstall and then reinstall your game and all expansions after doing this. Make sure to back up your entire EA Games folder under My Docs first or you will lose your game data.

Ok, I'll try that...

Be right back.

No... It didn't work.
shiny!
retired moderator
#4 Old 16th Jul 2008 at 8:49 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following as listed below:
  • General - Post System Specs
    We need more information before we can help with your issue. Please post your system specs - instructions on finding them are here: Game Help:System Specswiki

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detailing exactly which you have done and which steps failed.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 12:30 AM Last edited by Nc321 : 17th Jul 2008 at 12:36 AM.
shiny!
retired moderator
#6 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 1:33 AM
That's not your full system specs. All that tells me is what graphics card you have. It would be helpful if you would follow the guide and post your full system specs.

However, I can tell from that much the problem is likely your graphics card is wearing out. That card is very weak and old and the error is indicative of this problem, having ruled out directx and driver problems.

You can try opening up your computer and giving it a really good cleaning with a can of compressed air, paying special attention to any fans. You can also try reseating the card.. pulling it out, blowing some air into the slot to make sure the connection between the card and slot is good, and then plugging the card back in. If this doesn't work I think it's time for a new card, or realistically if that card is any indication of the rest of the computer specs, a new computer.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 11:25 AM
Nevermind, i got it working again
shiny!
retired moderator
#8 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 11:57 AM
What did you do?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 12:38 PM
Ah, F*ck. The error came again!
All i did was that i removed the sims2 and installed it again

But I can tell you how the error begun..

Before i could play the game, the game never crashed or had any errors.

so an other day i was playing a valve game on steam, but then it crashed with the error "Internal driver error in IDirect3DDevice9:: present()" and it F*cked up my computer totally. The screen was zoomed in .. about 600x800 or more down.
then i tried to lauch the valve game again, the hl2exe did not response.
so i launched sims 2 and showed me the error for the first time.
I turned off my computer and on again. I launched sims 2 again, but the same error.

So I think the error maybe damaged my graphic card or, the valve error have damaged the sims2.

(PS: I can still run the valve game again, but not the sims2 anymore)
shiny!
retired moderator
#10 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 12:44 PM Last edited by callistra : 17th Jul 2008 at 12:55 PM.
It doesn't work like that. Another game can't damage a different one. That error like the other one is indicative of a driver/directx problem or possibly card failure. Driver errors can come up like that but have it actually be because the card is failing. Since you already updated your drivers/directx that would lead to a physical problem with the card again.

Have you tried cleaning out your computer and reseating the card yet?

You could also try checking your temps with this program: http://www.cpuid.com/hwmonitor.php Leave it running while you play whatever game you have.. try to stress it out. It will automatically record the maximum temps reached.

Here's a support article on the issue: https://support.steampowered.com/kb...=5204-UOSN-9830 They offer some other fixes such as cleaning the cache of your game and disabling antiviruses.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 1:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by callistra

Here's a support article on the issue: https://support.steampowered.com/kb...=5204-UOSN-9830 They offer some other fixes such as cleaning the cache of your game and disabling antiviruses.

Believe me...I TRIED EVERYTHING, I did all what they said but it still crashes.

and that made me think more that my graphic card is damaged.

I don't know...I can still run the game though.
shiny!
retired moderator
#12 Old 17th Jul 2008 at 8:17 PM
Well failure can be slow moving, or it can be total and all at once. Errors every now and again at an increasing rate can still mean it's giving out. Another option would be to test it using onboard graphics. You could uninstall the graphics card first in add/remove programs, then actually remove the card and install the drivers for onboard. You'll have to check up to see if your motherboard has onboard graphics but it likely does. You might also have to go into bios to enable unboard graphics. I think all the valve games might require dedicated cards but it's something you could check into. You should at least be able to get sims loaded even if it's not playable. Or you could try to find a card from a friend or family member which is supported by your computer and see if swapping them out works.. again make sure to uninstall the original card first again. OR you could go to a computer shop that you know allows open box returns and pick up a card/power supply (you're going to need to upgrade your psu to run any current cards) and test it out in your computer to see if it fixes anything.

These guides might be of help if you decide you want to testing with a different card or getting a new one:
http://forums.sims2community.com/showthread.php?t=38662
http://forums.sims2community.com/showthread.php?t=57989