Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 12:43 AM
Default resort tower rabbit hole rugs
Hey all. I'm not entirely sure where to post this, as I'm not sure what precisely is the issue, so please point me in the right direction if I'm in the wrong place.

I'm trying to convert the resort towers into rabbit hole rugs. I followed the process to make them as I did previous rabbit hole rugs. When I place the rug, however, it doesn't show up as a rug--it still places the shell of the stupid resort tower rabbit hole. I'm unsure what I need to look at in order to proceed with this.

Any suggestions or ideas?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 4:13 AM
Try posting this on Sims 3 Island paradise and on yahoo answers to get answers quick. It doesn't look like anyone has given you an answer yet
Field Researcher
#3 Old 29th Jun 2013 at 12:53 AM
Sorry, Misty - I don't have advice; but I DO want to thank you for giving this a shot and wish you luck. Consider this just an encouraging pat on the back. I was so-o-o hoping that you, Jynx, or another modder was going to be able to do this soon. I empathize with your frustration and hope you are able to figure it out. I hate the size and limited style of those rabbit-hole towers. I wonder if the fact that they can "morph" as they are upgraded has something to do with the different coding that is hindering you. They do seem to be a different animal than previous rabbit-hole objects. Have you run this by twallan? He seems to have a knack for finding ways around EA's winding paths of logic.
Instructor
#4 Old 29th Jun 2013 at 2:27 AM
You'd need to create a special script class for the custom resort tower. Currently it's set to change its visual state (mesh/appearance) as soon as its created. Unfortunately, there's no way to achieve this without script/object modding.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jun 2013 at 10:26 PM
Thanks SimsMX, I was afraid it was script related, as there was nothing in the package that would (as far as I knew) call up the building shell. I really have no experience with scripting, but I'm willing to give it a shot, because I *really* don't want these resort towers. Could you recommend a good tutorials that may help get me started? What tools will I need for this?

You're welcome Sam, and thank you.
Test Subject
#6 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 4:23 AM
i wish i knew anything that could help but sadly i know nothing of making mods. you have my support however. i just came across the idea to make a houseboat into a resort, however, i will need these rugs in order to make it work. the towers will look akward and be too large. i will keep checking for these, but i really hope that you can get this figured out

btw, how would i make the rug work? i have a bunch of normal rooms because i hear they count as luxury room and i can make them whatever size i want, but of course i am required to have a resort tower and I have never used the rabbit hole rugs to know what to do. maybe what i need is a mod to remove the need for a tower?

if your interested, i also uploaded the resort boat to the exchange as a preview while it doesn't work as a resort. in case anyone is interested

http://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail...assetId=7438151
Test Subject
#7 Old 30th Jun 2013 at 11:29 AM
Eventough I know nothing about modding, I would like you to know that you definately got my support on making rugs for those ugly resort tower rabbitholes. It's really a shame that EA came up with the idea of them. I also had the idea of buiding a resort on a house boat, making it a cruise ship. But with the resort towers as they currently are, that's really impossible.
Instructor
#8 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 2:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
Could you recommend a good tutorials that may help get me started? What tools will I need for this?

I'd start by reading Buzzler's Tutorial:Sims_3_Object_Moddingwiki. Odistant's Tutorial:Sims_3_In_Depth_Scriptingwiki will also help you understand how interactions and classes work in the Sims code. The tools and programs you need are linked in the tutorials and they are free.

BTW, you will need to create a new "Upgrade" interaction for your custom tower, since the existing one is set to change the visual state of the object.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 5:13 AM
Thanks for that! I've bookmarked these to read in the morning.

Seeing that visual state change from the upgrade in the early previews of IP was my first clue that this rabbit hole could give me some problems. My initial thought is "can I not just eliminate the visual effect?" but I'll save further questions until I've done the reading. Thanks again =)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 1st Jul 2013 at 10:25 PM
I really hope you can made this dream a reality! I absolutely and entirely HATE the obnoxiousness of the resort towers! Why can't we just build something with beds, entertainment and a front desk and call it a resort?! Thank you so much for trying! If I knew anything about making mods I would definitely help, but alas all I can give you is moral support.

I think it would be cool to also make Resort towers in the form of signs! Just an idea, the rugs will be more than satisfactory!

GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND!

~Poe
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 8:17 PM
What is currently the best version of VS to use?
Instructor
#12 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 9:22 PM
I use VS 2012, but most people prefer VS 2008. VS 2012 has a few minor quirks for setting up your project, but I got used to it.
Forum Resident
#13 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 9:58 PM
I don't actually recommend VS 2008 anymore. You do need a few extra steps to set up a project with 2010 and 2012, but VS 2008 is rather inconvenient when you need to reference unprotected core DLLs, which you may very well need for your project. If you use peter's unprotect program (based on twallan's script), you won't be able to add the DLLs to a 2008 project.

I updated the wiki a while ago to include steps for 2010 and 2012 users, so new script modders don't have to go searching for that information anymore. I think it is just unnecessary to stick with 2008 at this point. Personally, I prefer 2012.

There's also a tutorial to set up a MonoDevelop project for Sims 3 script modding at Simlogical: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...pic,1897.0.html

My Mod Index | My Mods at Simlogical | My Blog: Nona's Sims | Fix Your Premium Content

Please do not PM me with questions about modding. Please post in an appropriate forum and PM me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Jul 2013 at 10:30 PM
Ok, thanks for the input, Simsmx and Nona, and for the additional tutorial. Are there significant differences between 2010 and 2012? My husband uses 2010 at work. He's done a ton of scripting and programming of the non-sims variety, so he's going to sit down with me this weekend and help me get started on this project.
Test Subject
#15 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 5:45 AM
when it is done will you link it here? i've just been checking this page a lot for news. good luck!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Jul 2013 at 8:57 PM Last edited by Margaret Pendragon : 6th Jul 2013 at 10:02 PM.
Talimancer, assuming I can get this work, yes I'll be uploading it for download. This is a steep learning curve for me, so fingers crossed =)

ETA so first I need to derive a new class from public abstract class Resort Tower?
I noticed there are 4 derived types, 1 for each of the existing resort tower objects. Does this mean I will need to add a new derived type for the rug?
In the Arena
retired moderator
#17 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 5:17 AM
If I'm processing this right and thinking it out loud here....each derived type is linked to a separate resort mesh, correct?

Why not just edit each derived type to point to your RH rug mesh, instead of 4 separate meshes?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#18 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 8:32 AM
I am still using 2010 for modding

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Inventor
#19 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 9:48 AM
The different tunings are read in the derived classes, so if you want to retain the different levels, yes, I believe you'll have to create four derived classes from your own derived ResortTower class.

I'm not an object modder, but I think in the end you'll have four OBJD linking to four OBJK which will all point to the same mesh/model data, but to four different script classes. Oh, and you'll need new (i.e. copied from the original) tuning files with an ID derived from the namespace.classname of your new classes.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 8:12 PM
*sigh* I'm so confused, I honestly don't know where to start. Maybe I need to try something simpler first. I wish my husband hadn't ended up having to work this weekend, so he could look at this with me.
Inventor
#21 Old 7th Jul 2013 at 9:27 PM Last edited by velocitygrass : 8th Jul 2013 at 8:13 PM. Reason: removed obsolete attachment
I'm taking a look at this now. (Fiddling a bit with the game dlls since my normal script only makes public.) I'll report if I'm successful and if not what my problem is.

ETA: I still have issues with placing. (Upgrading now leaves the shell alone.) It's created as tower though. Modifying the visual states to non-existent ones didn't work either. It makes the shell disappear, but the rug is invisible and as such unclickable. Though a resort worker spawned from it

I'm attaching what I got so far if you (or anyone else) want to take a look. I used your Bistro rug as base, so if you have that in your game, you might not see this.

Off to bed now.
Test Subject
#22 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 3:32 PM
Velocitygrass... please keep us updated. I really would love this rug thing to work. They really pushed that you would be able to ski and do winter sports with seasons and then basically 'forgot' that you might want to do that at a resort in IP.
Inventor
#23 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 6:10 PM
I'm making progress. I got it to place as a rug now (made a stupid mistake yesterday), but it turns out the upgrade actually still changes to the shell, just with a delay. But I'm working on that.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#24 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 6:32 PM
I'm glad you're having better luck than me! I want this rug so bad!
Inventor
#25 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 6:38 PM Last edited by velocitygrass : 8th Jul 2013 at 6:39 PM. Reason: typo
It looks very good now. I've been able to circumvent the visual update while still getting a tower upgrade. Testing in my "resort" now. One problem I have at the moment is that the interaction bubble with the rug has no little icon. I'll also need to test the import and reload from a save, since in those cases the visual state is also redone.
Locked thread
Page 1 of 2