Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 12:45 AM
I'm confused. How are the meshes so different from one another? They are both shirts overlaying a body with scrunched sleeves. I managed to get it to work with two meshes that had vastly different shapes. I also tried to do it with two plain t shirts and got the same error.
Advertisement
Sockpuppet
Original Poster
#27 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 8:31 AM Last edited by BloomsBase : 27th Sep 2012 at 8:51 AM.
you have to position the arms so that both the vertice from the reference and your mesh lay close together so that toolkit can transition(?) the assignements.
This means you need to rotate the upper and underarm backwards so that both are on the same spot as the referencemesh
Wat toolkit does is taking the boneassignement from the vertex that lays closest and copies it over.
If you take the thumb on your mesh for example, wat would be the closest joint near it(on the reference mesh)
It would be the thumb from the reference mesh, so far so good.
But if you look at the other fingers, they also have the thumb joint as closest match.
If toolkit would not give you a error the whole hand would be assigned to the thumb joint.
You have to be more accurate in positioning the mesh
This is easily done with the link i gave you earlier

edit,
Wat is this files name? its a EP top?
I can walk you throug if you like(from scratch)
Just keep in mind this is a huge ammount of work as you have to delete all the skinparts anyway on your mesh(ts2 skins wont fit ts3 meshes)
Or reUV map the arms and such(but that is even more work)
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 27th Sep 2012 at 6:40 PM
I fixed the TS3 mesh arms, which didn't really matter because I deleted the skin parts and subbed in TS2 nudebody-mesh where it was needed but now I have a better understanding of what you meant. I went back and grabbed the GEOM, fixed the arm position and worked from there however that still didn't stop the error from popping up. So I compensated by doing what I mentioned before: unchecking interpolation and that seemed to work

It's a top from the store (August Mission Shirt) and I'm doing it against a custom TS2 mesh by BunheadB. I can send you the files because I think I would be grateful for a walk through. I'm aware that's it's a lot of work and in a weird I'm in both enjoying and hating the process so there is that. Right now I'm a bit stuck because where my TS2 arms attach to the TS3 mesh, there is a mismatch in number of vertices so I'm working out how to fix and/or get around that.
Sockpuppet
Original Poster
#29 Old 28th Sep 2012 at 8:38 AM
it is indeed alot of work...
Yes, arms, waist, ankle and neck have a mismatch of faces.
If you want things perfect you delete one or 2 faces and connect the open triangles again.
You also can keep the arm a little bit longer so the sleeve kinda floats arround the arm, like a alpha layer.

You can sent me the file, its not that much(for me that is....)

Biggest prblem is often the uvmap but i think that if you use a 2 file setup(like a alpha layer) you can keep skin and clothingparts both on a seperate texture (even if they overlap eachother)
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 9:56 PM Last edited by Wildchild453 : 29th Sep 2012 at 11:16 PM.
Thanks Bloom. I sent you a message with the project link. I hope a Milkshape file is ok.
Sockpuppet
Original Poster
#31 Old 29th Sep 2012 at 11:48 PM
This is a male shirt right?
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 1:35 AM
Yup, it is.
Sockpuppet
Original Poster
#33 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 10:59 AM
sent you the file yesterday, didn't hear anything yet so i suppose it works.
You do need to reassigne the bones one the mesh, had to add some stuff to the shirt that you deleted.
I didn't give those new verts and faces any boneweights so you need to fix that.

You also need to update the uvmap, move arround some coordinates of the males chest so the skin fits again.
I snapped some chest verts to the shirt.

The bottom seam you might be able to do yourself
Lab Assistant
#34 Old 30th Sep 2012 at 6:32 PM
I just noticed the message. I'm looking at the file now and I'm going to pm you a few questions to not clutter up the thread about a project others can't really see.
Instructor
#35 Old 1st Nov 2012 at 3:24 AM
Bloom, I cannot begin to tell you how grateful I am for this tutorial. As I don't play TS3 I never would have known about the Meshkit, and it will be immensely helpful for conversions, morph-making and bodyshapes for TS2.
Thank you so much!
Test Subject
#36 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 3:46 AM Last edited by Midare : 17th Nov 2012 at 4:12 AM.
I have a question - I tried to use this method to transfer assignments from a TS2 mesh to an unassigned .obj one (which I exported through as a TSRW object, of course). But every time I run the auto-assign bones tool, I immediately get a Microsoft Net Error - index out of range exception. The loading bar in the Toolkit's window stops and doesn't budge. Any possible solutions for the problem exceed my skills, I'm no programmer. Is that a common error, or is it rather something about my system? i'd be very grateful for your answer!
If it's important, I use Windows Vista with Service Pack 2.
Sockpuppet
Original Poster
#37 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 11:46 AM
I had this error also but only if meshes were to diffrent from eachother.
You have to fix the arms before you can use the tool, i assume you did that?

Cmar did update the tool, you have the latest version?: http://www.modthesims.info/d/481950
Test Subject
#38 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 12:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
I had this error also but only if meshes were to diffrent from eachother.
You have to fix the arms before you can use the tool, i assume you did that?

Cmar did update the tool, you have the latest version?: http://www.modthesims.info/d/481950

I didn't use full meshes - I cut out the skirts, since that was the part I modified. The one on the right is the new mesh, the one on the left - the reference mesh (and yeah, they were both exported separately, both centered, and so on). And I do use the newest version of the tool, I only downloaded it yesterday. Does this method only work on full-body meshes? Because I could try frankensteining a similiar shape from existing meshes and use that as reference? I'll go try that right away!
Sockpuppet
Original Poster
#39 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 12:07 PM
Make sure the OBJ is exported with a skeleton attached.
and no, it works on every shape.
Field Researcher
#40 Old 10th Dec 2012 at 1:15 AM
Out of curiosity, would you know a better way to fix the arms in a TS3 to TS2 conversion? I've read and re-read your other tutorial on fixing the arms for TS3 and have even tried to reverse it, to no avail. I can get the 3t2 mesh inside bodyshop, but the arms tend to be rather elongated and the hands/fingers may be oddly bent. I've tried using the conversions tutorial with the bonefix and simply trying to align the shoulders of the TS3 mesh with the TS2 one.

Thank you!
Sockpuppet
Original Poster
#41 Old 12th Dec 2012 at 6:26 PM Last edited by BloomsBase : 12th Dec 2012 at 10:56 PM.
You need to open the file from the 2nd post, not the bonefix file to fix the arms.
As described you will run into some issues with the fingers as sims 3 hands are diffrent jointed(they have original one joint/bend more.)
Field Researcher
#42 Old 10th Feb 2013 at 10:29 PM
Thank you Bloom! I will look at the files from the other post (excluding the bonefix) to see if I can work out something.
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#43 Old 21st Aug 2014 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Open up Toolkit:
-Go to autotools for WSO tab
-in the auto assign bones tab you select your frenkensteined mesh in the
''WSO mesh to modify'' box
-load the reference mesh in the 2nd box
Leave the settings as they are(interpolation and replace all boneassignements ticked).

Save your file

-Start new in Milkshape and import the reference mesh with the unimesh importer
-Import the just saved file from Toolkit under import/TSRW Object.(do NOT import additional joints)
-Fix the meshgroupname(set it back to body, bottom or top)
-Fix the meshcomments
-Delete the reference mesh and export your new mesh with the Unimesh exporter.

Hi, I did it as you said but I'm not getting a option (import additional joints --yes or no)
If I import my generated .wso file to my reference mesh it just imports the mesh but it doesn't ask me for additional joints.

Did I something wrong?

EDIT: I'm creating a pregnant morph if you might ask.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Instructor
#44 Old 12th Jul 2022 at 5:04 AM
is it done the same way in the sims 3? is there a tutorial for the sims 3 explaining the process?
sorry if that's off topic, but just thought someone here could link me to it...
Page 2 of 2