Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 3:36 PM
Default Add / remove roads
I can't believe that I don't have a thread for this one. Since I can't seem to find it, I've started a new thread.

It would be very helpful to be able to add and remove roads from a neighborhood, without requiring SimCity 4 and an .SC4 file.

The big issue with this one is UI; we understand how the road structure works.

If it were possible to do in-game, that would be ideal. Can we capture keystrokes at the neighborhood view? Do we have access to the road structure in-game?

For a standalone program, we would want to display a pseudo-neighborhood view. Ideally, a grid system with elevations indicated through colors and contours. The actual numeric elevation could also be available; this would be particularly helpful for beach lots At the very least, we should also display existing roads, neighborhood water, and some indication that lots, trees and deco exist, even if they are only sketched in.

I assume that people would prefer to be able to specify a start and end location to insert or delete a road, but even placing or removing roads one section at a time would be better than what we have now. The program could decide whether to place a straight, corner, T- or full-intersection, or bridge over water. Alternatively, the user could have the ability to select the individual elements themselves, which would allow land bridges (although not land bridges over other roads) and roads which are adjacent but do not meet.

Since we already have a reasonable neighborhood view, it might make sense to give the user the ability to change the elevation of specific elements, such as lots, trees, and deco. We could also allow the user to modify the neighborhood terrain itself; for people who don't have access to this ability in-game.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 2nd Apr 2012 at 12:50 PM
This is a brilliant idea.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 5:42 PM
What if we created a deco item which would be placed in pairs (for start and end) and once they were lined up, a road would appear/disappear between them?

Would reduce the interface chances, but still leaves the issues involving the terrain and adding/subtracting road pieces.
Banned
#4 Old 1st Mar 2013 at 5:59 PM
More neighborhood customization is always welcome.