Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Top Secret Researcher
#26 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by EleanorElphante
Personally, I think that Simlish is just one of those wacky things this series is all about. It's just so silly and fun. (And saves EAxis a fortune on recording separate languages.) I don't really mind if it doesn't translate into English or any other language.

I agree. Janet says singing in Simlish is perfect for when all you're trying to say is "I feel like singing."

I can't keep myself from wanting to analyze it, but in doing so, I hope to always keep in mind that the point is to enjoy it.

Mind you, different people find different things fun. I think it would be a load of fun to analyze the spoken language, not with a view to translating it (no way -- we rely too much on body language, inflection, context, and other non-verbal cues like those pictures that float over our heads), but just because.

Regardless of the experiment, the raw ingredient would take some up-front grunt-work to create: we'd need a collection of Simlish utterances transcribed into a phonetic alphabet, such as IPA (probably the Wikipedia flavor of IPA.) (Perhaps you think this is more Ronnie-style deadpan humor, but in this case I'm actually serious; I used to work for a search engine company, and I know enough computational linguistics to know that such a data corpus would be useful for a long time to come. But it will be months before I can devote much time to it.)

Once having that data, we could test theories like "Spoken Simlish has about the same distribution of phonemes as American English", or "The Simlish used in translations of popular songs has lots of b's and p's at the ends of words, compared to the original lyrics." The more enterprising might be able to create a program that would generate new candidate Simlish words or phrases that fit the style of the existing ones -- turning to advantage the fact that it's fundamentally gibberish -- sort of like how the community "Simlish" font uses new symbols in a style compatible with the EA symbols.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#27 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 9:15 AM
Ebec and LB,there are probably already different dialects of Simlish! The only problem is that you can't understand them!
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 3:10 PM
Perhaps if everyone contributed words they do understand, we could develop one that would be suitable for mods.

Sul-sul seems to be "Hi, hi, welcome" (From Intro)

Bar Bar fringlenerp is along the lines of "Oh, Oh, worry."

Keeb Keeb is " good,good." As in asking a neat sim to clean.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#29 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 5:12 PM
DarkAmaranth, I was just kidding...

But, I can't see what you mean...
Lab Assistant
#30 Old 8th Jul 2011 at 6:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zandvoort
I think the bubbles aren't even saying what they're talking about. I once had 3 bubbles in a conversation: flowers, car, and water... Guess they we're talking about flowercars which can swim?

"I drove back to my house, picked up my watering can from my garden, and watered all of my tulips?"

Lab Assistant
#31 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 12:59 PM
Yeah or I took a trip in my car noticed how beautiful the flowers were flowering and then I stopped at the lake to ..... fish? Hehe
Page 2 of 2