Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 7:23 PM
Default can you make a unidirectional door in sims 3?
is it possible to make a unidirectional door in sims 3?
in sims 1 i know you could make one with a one tile door and some strategically placed wall but so far i have been unable to do it in sims 2 or 3.
the reason i want one is that i'm trying to create a maintenance corridor in my mansion and to stop unauthorized sims from using it i have to have a locked door in all room access points and the main access point. every time i wish to allow another sim to use it i have to go to every door and change its owner. but if i could put unidirectional doors as the room access points then i could control who uses it and who doesn't with just a single locked door.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 8:33 PM
Have a look at some of Flyby's doors, there may be something suitable for you there.

http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=16355
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Morlock
Have a look at some of Flyby's doors, there may be something suitable for you there.

http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=16355

while those doors look useful, they are all bidirectional.
but thank you for the suggestion
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 10:22 PM
When I do things like this I usually use a tomb hidden door with a torch switch on the wall next to it. Sims won't autonomously use the torch or inspect the hidden door, but any directed sim can pull the torch and go inside. I link up the torch trigger "pull" to the activated behavior "open", and then link up "walk through" on the door to "hide" so it resets after each use.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 11:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Velve
When I do things like this I usually use a tomb hidden door with a torch switch on the wall next to it. Sims won't autonomously use the torch or inspect the hidden door, but any directed sim can pull the torch and go inside. I link up the torch trigger "pull" to the activated behavior "open", and then link up "walk through" on the door to "hide" so it resets after each use.

but then the chores couldn't be done autonomously, there by defeating the point of this system. i have also tried using a series of secret doors that open and close when sims walk though them, but this results in aether me having to guide their every move or it breaks down when more then one sim goes though it and i end up with these big bulky 12 by 8 chambers.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6 Old 9th Jul 2011 at 11:49 PM
as far as I can see, the reason we don't have unidirectional doors in ts3 like we did for ts2 and ts1, is that doors are no longer two tile objects. It used to be that different code and different properties could be set for each OBJD chain. But now a door only has one OBJD and one single process to get the sim through it.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 11th Jul 2011 at 12:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
as far as I can see, the reason we don't have unidirectional doors in ts3 like we did for ts2 and ts1, is that doors are no longer two tile objects. It used to be that different code and different properties could be set for each OBJD chain. But now a door only has one OBJD and one single process to get the sim through it.

that sucks, well thank you for the info and thank you all for your help. i just need to stop being a lazy bum.