Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2005 at 9:46 PM
Larger surface area - how add more tiles for an object?
After working out how to do the texture mapping and get the view and perspecive correct for a simple box mesh, see below

I decided that I want to do something bigger. Completed a alien craft earlier today, just needs texturing. By cloning the obstacle course I thought it would be the best way to go about doing it for it seems to have the largest surface area. But now I com to think about it the lengh is right but I need more width, at least anouther two tiles. Got the spaceship to show up in the thumbnails under study next to the telescopes by editing the OBJD. Actually there are over ten more OBJD files, so I deleted them. I don't seem to get the object to appear when I select it from the thumbnail icon. Any ideas what's going wrong, or what I need to do to make a career object appear when selected. Oh, erm side side tracked, is there a way to add more tiles to an object.

Marc
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 8:35 AM
Lol! You've probably deleted the master object! You can find out all about how tiles and OBJDs relate to each other at http://www.angelfire.com/retro/vinylp_ants/Stuff.html
Original Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 11:20 AM Last edited by Xocular : 31st Jan 2005 at 11:25 AM.
LOL, can't believe I was saying what I did, I had been working so hard yesturday I had red eye. Just read through the linked info and I can see what you are saying. This is Sims 1 documentation but I can see how it applies to adding extra tiles to the object, also that every tile is actually is an object in itself and that to add more tiles I need to clone more OBJD's and then make the some neccessary changes, thanks for the info.

I've started from scratch and kept all the OBJD's this time, hehehe; modified the GUID of the master OBJD and all it's slaves, plus made the following changes so it shows up in the study category and room category I want:

Code:
0x008E: room sort flags = 0x0010  
0x0090: function sort flags = 0x0100

Here's what it looks like:

Last week I was playing around with meshes and I scaled up the wooded figure and made it twice as high as a Sim and it showed up in the game perfectly. Now that I know more about OBJD's and adding extra tiles I can't understand why when I click on the thumnail icon the object does not appear ingame. Sometimes when I have made a mistake with referencing with other objects the object does not appear but the green placement box and arrow does. I am wondering why it does not now. Is it because it is a career object?

Thanks for any help with this.

Marc

[grammer edit]
#4 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 1:08 PM
What happens when you have placed the invisible object down? Do all the interactions work as if the object was there and just invisible, or does it seem the object fails to be placed in the game altogether?
Original Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 1:25 PM
It does not get that far. The green placement box does not even appear.

:banghead:
#6 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 1:37 PM
Well you *should* be able to make this object on a single tiled object if I understand correctly. Unlike TS1 where you needed the right number of tiles to hold the sprites together, TS2 only uses multi tiles either because the original object had them and they didn't want to code every single object from scratch, or because the sims must behave differently depending on what part of the object they are dealing with.

If your object is decorative, or has a simple set of actions that can all take place on one tile, I reckon you can base it on a single tile object and save yourself some headaches. Or you could use a simple 3-tile (4 objd) object like a bed to stop sims walking into the object. That's the other thing the tiles are for, to reserve floorspace as I don't think the sims do collision detection.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
#7 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 1:40 PM
Ok I just reread your post and maybe I didn't understand. Did you get your spaceship to sit on the lot but still having trouble with the other object, or doesn't the spacecraft go into the game either?
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 1:55 PM Last edited by Xocular : 31st Jan 2005 at 1:59 PM.
Oh, I was making a comparision between a career object and a design object. I scalled up the mesh of the wooden figure to very large and it did take up more tiles than it one tile, what you say is right. Like you say though I did not want the sims walking though parts of the craft. Can't seem to do anything with a cloned the obstacle course though - I'm going to give up with that path.

Just scaled down my alien craft and swapped meshes with the model air plane, altered the strings that hang it on the ceiling and it looks good there.

I'll see if the scaled up version of the alien craft can go on an area of four tiles. Once I've got it looking right I'm going to add some fun BHAV's - nothing that will ruin game play though.

Thanks
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 9:11 PM
So then, how do you add more tiles to objects? As I don't understand that link. And everytime I try something with a career object, It doesn't show up.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 12:23 PM
I past a week to add a tile to my object and two tile, i make 3 OBJD with flags Multi-Tile=1, master tile index=128, slave tile index=1 and 0... the object appear in the correct place in the catalog. But i can't place it in the field, it don't appear at all.

my object

http://www.modthesims2.com/attachme...3&stc=1&thumb=1
#11 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 12:43 PM
Did you remember to ensure each tile was running an "init" and a "main"? You can point all the tiles at the same init or main BHAVs by entering the relevant BHAV number in the Object Function table for each tile.

It also doesn't look as if you have positioned your tiles correctly in relation to each other. The subindex of your master tile needs to be -1 as it does not actually appear in the game, it's just there to relate the other tiles to each other. The sub index of the others refers to a sort of grid reference of whereabouts each tile will appear in relation to the others - 16x16 is maximum size. I think rows go up by 1 and columns by 16. Just draw it out and write the numbers in on a piece of paper if you can't work it out, I can't do it in my head euther.

The master ID can be any number - might as well be 1 - and all the other tiles that are stuck together to make that object need that same number as their master ID. If you had two objects in one package, then all the tiles in the other object would have a different number in their Master ID, so they know which tiles they go together with.

Now choose one of the tiles that will actually appear in the game - ie not the master tile - and define it as Multi-tile lead object. The game uses that as a reference point if you need to store attributes as the game runs. For example, on a single bed, Maxis chose the pillow end of the bed to be the lead object

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Nearly alive
#12 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 12:47 PM
in the resource file there is a section called footprint, which seems to have a entry for each tile the object will take up. I `m guessing that this needs changing when adding a new tile.

I had spent a bit of time trying to change objects so they take up more space, but have just been to busy lately
Field Researcher
#13 Old 8th Feb 2005 at 7:35 PM Last edited by psyckotic : 8th Feb 2005 at 7:38 PM.
So.....
I have my original object with just one tile. I want 2 tiles with the same function.

1-I clone twice my OBJd: so I have now 3 OBJd with different GUID Number.
For the master :
- 0x0054 Multi-tile master id = 0x0001
- 0x0055 Multi-tile sub index = 0xFFFF
For the slaves (2 tiles (0,0) & (1,0)) :
- 0x0054 Multi-tile master id = 0x0001
- 0x0055 Multi-tile sub index = 0x0000 (for (0,0)) and 0x0001 (for (1,0))

2-I clone twice my OBJf: I have now 3 OBJf identic that point to the same function.

Are you agree with that ??? Or Have I forgot something? :confused:
There is a flag named 0x00BE Multi-tile lead object...
The filename is different for OBJd...
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 20th Feb 2005 at 8:53 PM
I'm trying to swap the master and slave tiles of a 2 tile object. I've tried editing some digits, but haven't had any luck. I got it to only have 1 tile, but it deleted the wrong tile.

Basically, I need to move the position of where a sim stands when they use this object, but that seems a lot more complicated. Miche suggested I just move the object closer to the sim, so I figured if I could just swap the two tiles, it would bring the object closer to the sim, correct? Or does the master tile not determine the placement of the mesh? I could just move the mesh in the GMDC, but then you'd have to use 'moveobjects on' to place it against a wall.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#15 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 1:54 AM
The master tile doesn't exist in play - it's mostly a way for the game to group all an object's tiles together. I don't think swapping them would do any good. I think the part of the object your sim goes to has something to do with routing slots, but I'm not sure... What is the object you're trying to alter, and why would you need moveobjects on?
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 21st Feb 2005 at 3:47 AM
Ahh I see, I was under the impression the 'master tile' was the main tile of the object, and slave were just others surrounding it.

I'm creating an arcade game using the pinball machine as a base. I have it completed, other than the positioning of it. The pinball machine is a lot longer than the arcade game is, so the sim still stands where the end of the pinball machine would be, while the arcade mesh is only about half it's length.

Earlier I tried moving the mesh in GMDC, which of course moves it foward on the tiles. This is a problem if you want to put it against a wall. I tried using moveobjects on to stick the first tile through, but when you tell a sim to play it, they walk around to the other side of the wall where the first tile is, then give the "wall in way" error. What I want to do is delete the first tile (that is now empty), so only the second one (where the arcade is now sitting) operates as part of the object.
Screenshots