Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 1:31 AM
SUGGESTION: Co-ordinated effort on new body meshes.
This is not a request, but a SUGGESTION.

People are doing MAGNIFICENT work here (way beyond my poor abilities), but I'm seeing a lot of DUPLICATED work. I've seen several version of Adult Female with enhanced boobs/booty, some with only one. A shorter skirt but no breast enhancement, etc.. etc...

Great diversity, great work, but it's ending up with people having multiple MESH files that do (very close) to the same thing. And that means you have to almost have a different MESH for every outfit.

It's a pity you can't make LEGO BLOCK meshes (ie, top/bottoms seperate) but IN THE LONG RUN might it not be a good idea to make a seperate BODY MESH forum area, and have a co-ordinated effort to make a 'unique' set of meshes for the 'basics'

Adult Female:

nude, ehanced breast (if nothing else, reference sizes by C-,D-,E-,OhMyGod-Cup sizes)
nude, ehanced butt (sizes could be J-Lo, WideLoad and WO MOMMA! :D)
nude, heels (from 3" to 6" spikes, boots, etc..)
nude, permute the above
several sizes of waist, permute the above
short skirt, permute the above
regular skirt, permute the above
etc... etc.. etc..

Teen Female:

ditto

Elder Female:

ditto

Male... as things require

basically an un-official, offical MTS2 MESH pack so that people could make their clothing to it, and not have to end up with (almost) a unique MESH per outfit...

I would think that a colaberative effort to get 'the boobs right', 'the butt right', 'the waist right', etc.. could go a long way towards getting a super set of MESH's that could become a 'standard'....

then again, that's just my opinion.. I could be wrong...
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 2:24 AM
I was thinking the exact same thing. If only it was possible to have the core body seperate and have clothes stretch around them. That way all you had to do was modify the core and not have 1000+ new meshes of the same thing just for new clothes.

I would go for the bigger boobs, smaller waist norm as any male would. C size plzkthx....

Lab Assistant
#3 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 2:51 AM Last edited by Sandman01 : 14th Feb 2005 at 3:04 AM.
I must have 500 meshes for Sims1 and once they crack mesh code you'll probbly see 500 for Sims2 . The more specialized the outfit the less the genaric mesh works.

dang i need spell checker lol
Test Subject
#4 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 2:58 AM Last edited by UberSims : 14th Feb 2005 at 3:09 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rosco
It's a pity you can't make LEGO BLOCK meshes (ie, top/bottoms seperate)

What I'm disappointed about is that Maxis made the Sims 2 with only top and bottom "lego blocks". I thought more blocks would have been feasible and allowed greater custimisation, i.e., how cool would it have been if arms, bust/chest, abdomen, buttocks, thighs, calves and feet had all been editable seperately?

Maybe it would have let to a whole lot of meshes that wouldn't have matched each other, but that's what a whole body mesh is for IMO.

Could this come in a later expansion pack? Could a top today equal several parts joined tomorrow?

And maybe skin packages should have been designed to fit over a mesh, rather than be the mesh itself. If the "block" size was smaller, reference points could be made in a seperate file corresponding to the x/y co-ord on the graphic files of the skin, these reference points could be matched to the edges of the block, meaning then that all kinds of clothes could fit on all kinds of meshes without the need for seperate packages.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 3:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sandman01
I must have 500 meshes for Sims1 and once they crack mesh code you'll probbly see 500 for Sims2 . The more specilized the outfit the less the genaric mesh works.

I'm not saying there isn't a need for 'specialized' meshes.. but do you need one for every different miniskirt and heels?
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 3:07 AM
Naa but don't want new modder afraid of posting hard work either.
Test Subject
#7 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 3:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosco
I'm not saying there isn't a need for 'specialized' meshes.. but do you need one for every different miniskirt and heels?

I guess you'd only need different "lower" meshes, but if Sims 2 goes the way of Sims 1, with over 100+ shoe meshes on one site alone, there are going to be a heck of a lot of packages out there.
Test Subject
#8 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 3:13 AM
I agree something should be worked out. It's kind of rediculous that you need a seperate mesh for every different outfit. You have 5 outfits, and need 5 meshes for these, that's 10 for just one sim. And then there's only one default nude, so when your sim is nude, you lose all enhancements, etc. If you changed the default nude, you would have one set of enhancements for every sim. The Sims 1 way of doing skins and meshes seemed a lot better.

I agree. And also, something should be done to make the same level enhancements work for different outfits, so your sim doesn't go from a C-cup to a B-cup when she changes from a skirt to pants. A community effort would be good. This is a good idea.

There's nothing like biting off more than you can chew, and then chewing anyway.
For RAR extractor, go here!
http://www.rarlab.com
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 3:29 AM
I too was disapointed with EA games and bodyshop only being a face modifirer, and yet Wrestling games EA makes you can alter bodies 1000's of ways we got jipped.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 10:46 AM
I'm having trouble getting Mesh Tool to actually import my object (see this post from this thread if you think you may be able to help). So, I've held off on releasing (and finishing) my toolset because I want to make sure things are mapping right and whatnot.

But, I've been thinking about the same thing - consistency in some way. Obviously, it'll never be completely consistent, but this could help with the new meshes.

Basically, I heard a lot of people talking about Poser (and DAZ Studio which is free and compatible with Poser files). With those programs, there is something called a magnet. You apply it to a section of the mesh and it stretches and moves it the way you'd like. Then, you can save your "Magnet Set". When you load another similar model, you can quickly apply those magnets to it and it'll take the same exact shape of the first one you did.

So, for example, I made a bodyshape that I call "Comic Female" - you know, big breasts, narrow waist, round hips (and I was playing with giving the arms and legs a bit of musculature, too). I started with the basic "underwear" mesh and made my mag set. Then I did one of the dress meshes. It took me under two minutes to duplicate the same body style in the dress mesh that I got for the basic mesh.

My idea was to release my mag sets (you need a different set for each gender and agegroup since the model sizes are different). That way, if someone has a Sim that's got a "comic heroine" dress on and they want her to have a nice business suit, their modeling time will be just a couple of minutes - and the body will look the same. IF (and there's always the IF) the mags became the standard for "busty" models, then it would be really easy to make a new "high heel" mesh for standard Sim Females, and also release a busty version with just a few minutes extra work.

Again, I'm not sure how useful this would/will be to people, but consistency is a good thing in many cases and this would surely help with that - if, of course, folks chose to adopt it. And, using the technique with your own body shapes would surely save time in the long run for everyone.

If someone has Poser or DAZ Studio and they've also had luck making new models and would like to try my mag set - lemme know and I'll send my presets over to you to try out. (Or, of course, you can just make your own mag set and get the jump on me and try to get yours adopted as the "standard" for that body type - just so long as you share them with me for when I DO finally get MeshTool to adopt my edited OBJ's).

And, one last plea - if anyone has an idea as to what my problem might be, I would be eternally grateful. (I'm nearly bald now from pulling my hair out).

Thanks and lemme know if anyone is interested in the mag set.
X.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 14th Feb 2005 at 3:48 PM
I agree it would be good to have some co-ordination of effort to achieve the minimal number of alternate meshes. In an ideal world body 'magnets' sound great, but until such a thing becomes available there seems to be a great demand for 'bigger' breasts etc. I've already had several requests for bigger this, smaller that etc. The posibilities seem endless, especially if you're gonna end up altering every mesh currently available(?)
When I chose which models I altered for my Altered Meshes, I chose what I thought were the most common ones, that people could skin to their needs, but my interpretation of a C-Cup may be different to others etc. I even now have 3 versions of the afnudetop in my game: B+-Cup; C-Cup and A-Cup, and then there's all the variants as you say ...?
Perhaps someone could form a DataBase? Otherwise, I agree, it will just get out of hand (no breast-pun intended!) - although I personally love(?) altering meshes, and I can see how people who aren't very good at skinning, (like myself), but want to create something for the community ... oh, I don't know - I always end up talking myself out of things!

L+K's xxx
Test Subject
#12 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 2:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sandman01
I too was disapointed with EA games and bodyshop only being a face modifirer, and yet Wrestling games EA makes you can alter bodies 1000's of ways we got jipped.

Too true. Although I hope (and pray) that someone will fix this. Maxis, if you're reading this, this means you!
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#13 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 3:13 AM
For gods sake - where in the forum description does it say "please hold long techinical discussions here*? It doesn't does it =P Post in General Modding - thanks. Moving.

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Feb 2005 at 5:10 AM
(hides in corner)

I didn't start it as a 'techincal discussion', it was a suggestion to those TESTING MESHES, so that's where I thought it should be.