Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 12:51 AM
Default Clone of a clone
Hi all,

I've been experiencing a bit of a problem with an object I've been trying to clone recently, and wanted to see if it anyone else had experienced it.

I have a custom object (cloned from the Venus sculpture), and I want to clone it. Let's call my original custom object Clone A. The cloning itself seems to go okay, creating a nice new shiny Clone B. But I have trouble with things like changing the mesh and texture images in Clone B - it seems to want to use the mesh/textures of Clone A.

Now I don't think I'm doing anything wrong in the mesh importing process. I had no trouble changing the mesh in clone A from the sculpture to my new mesh, and I've cloned and remeshed a few other (Maxis) objects before. I only seem to have this problem with my clones of clones.

Is this replicative fading, or am I being an idiot and missing a step of the process somewhere?

For reference, I'm using SimPE 17c, and the Mesh Tool 0.9.29. The original Maxis object was the "On A Pedestal" sculpture, and Clone A is in beta here.

Thanks for all the help everyone, it's much appreciated!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 3:23 AM
Naming and hashing issues.
I can all but guarantee it.
When your 'clone b' asks for a mesh or texture by name, and that same name is in 'clone a' there's a good chance the game will use the 'clone a' one instead of the copy that's sitting inside your package. Especially if there is a name issue in your clone. People have similar problems with their cloned objects using game original textures and meshes for the same reason.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 3:40 AM
Echo, instead of cloning your clone -- save it as a new name, hit fix integrity, give it a new internal name, hit update and ok, then add guids. You'll have a perfect clone of your original. (The point of the clone function is to grab all the orignal parts -- you already have them, eh?)
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 5:37 AM
Thank you both for the suggestions, the help is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately it didn't fix the problem, which makes me thing there's something wrong with my original object. I'll try tracing through the RCOL chain thing again to see if anything's been misnamed.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 17th Feb 2005 at 8:36 AM
I had this problem most of yesterday and finally fixed it by going to the Object - Models text lists file and changing the model name to your new name - you can copy and paste it from the GMND etc. Just your bit of the name, don't include all the end bits that say it's a e_shadow or a root_rot or whatever

Ideally, SimPE would be updated to automate this bit, otherwise by default it always points back to the object you cloned it from.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)