3 people viewing
Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#5501 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 8:45 AM
@Rosebine - this. 30-day trial, but the software is only $9.99, which is pretty reasonable.

I can't guarantee it'll actually work with newer systems, but here's the older free version. And although I can't vouch for it personally, Nimi Places also looks like a free alternative to it.

I used to use the free version of Fences, but now between my start menu and Pegtop PStart it's a bit unncessary.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Inventor
#5502 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 8:49 AM
Wow, I'm amazed by how many icons people have on their desktops. I only have 15 at most.
Mad Poster
#5503 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 8:52 AM
I always find it amusing when people treat their desktop like a temporary folder. I actually made a temporary folder in the root of my data drive to avoid it happening.

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#5504 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 9:29 AM Last edited by HarVee : 23rd Feb 2018 at 9:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Rosawyn
https://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

A person really doesn't need that to keep their desktop organized. Just do what I do since going to 8.1 - Create a folder, put this folder in your documents, put all your shortcuts in that folder, create a shortcut to that folder on your desktop. I have one for games and one for other programs. Two folders that contain access to most every program/application on my computer.

No start menu slogging through to get a program to launch, no wasted memory, and no clutter blocking the background image.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#5505 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 9:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I can't guarantee it'll actually work with newer systems, but here's the older free version.

It's the free version I use. I've had it so long I forgot where I got it! I use Windows 7, so I can't vouch for how well it would work in any other setup, but I wouldn't want to live without it.
Mad Poster
#5506 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 9:58 AM
I can open nearly any program in just a few seconds by hitting the Win key and typing the first few letters of the program - though I use PStart a bit more because hell if I can actually remember the program names. Did they remove the start menu search in 8.1?

Inventor
#5507 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 10:08 AM
Did they remove the start menu search in 8.1?

Nope. It's still there.
Mad Poster
#5508 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 10:15 AM Last edited by HarVee : 23rd Feb 2018 at 11:42 AM.
Did they remove the start menu search in 8.1?

Start Screen (from pressing Windows key) and click the magnifying glass, or just pressing the Windows key and typing something will bring it up like this:

Or you can right click on the windows icon in the task bar and left click search, or use the charms bar (windows key+c) on the side to search. Or just streamline it all and press windows key+f. All of which bring it up like this:

Lastly there is also the Apps page part of the Start Screen which also has a search function. Difference here from the previous methods above is that the function here only searches the ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu directory for shortcuts to apps. Which means if an app doesn't create a short cut there, it won't be found using this method.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#5509 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 4:10 PM
I don't like the new Downloads section's layout.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Inventor
#5510 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine

I think it's also changed layout a few times. Once, I found the Thanks button below the descriptions but now it's in the Files tab. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I prefer the old layout mainly because it's easier to grasp all the basic information at the glance. We tend to read from top to bottom, so having the Information tab on the side and below the preview pictures makes it less efficient from a reader's POV.

The preview pictures seem to be much bigger as well but don't reach all the way to the right side of the screen (maybe it's just my monitor though), so it creates a strange empty space above the Info box, and the pictures are of different sizes, making it a bit harder on the eyes than it was when they were smaller pictures behind a scroll bar section.

Please don't kill me...
Alchemist
#5511 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 4:53 PM
I did it again..my poor desktop...
I must go to..Start/Rosie/Desktop to find anything..lol
Will I ever learn?
I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's especially bad now that TS2 has lost its icon for some reason.
Screenshots
Theorist
#5512 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 5:16 PM
This thread inspired me to clean up my desktop. It's so tidy now ^_^

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Top Secret Researcher
#5513 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 8:10 PM Last edited by yavannatw : 23rd Feb 2018 at 8:30 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Sketching
I think it's also changed layout a few times. Once, I found the Thanks button below the descriptions but now it's in the Files tab. I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I prefer the old layout mainly because it's easier to grasp all the basic information at the glance. We tend to read from top to bottom, so having the Information tab on the side and below the preview pictures makes it less efficient from a reader's POV.

The preview pictures seem to be much bigger as well but don't reach all the way to the right side of the screen (maybe it's just my monitor though), so it creates a strange empty space above the Info box, and the pictures are of different sizes, making it a bit harder on the eyes than it was when they were smaller pictures behind a scroll bar section.

Please don't kill me...

Agreed. I didn't think the layout needed changing. It took me ages to find where to favourite something for later download. I also don't like the large "12 more" (or however many pictures there might be) to the right. It's not visually appealing. And why is the main picture 'greyed out'? I have to click on it to get a decent look (not happy).

Don't kill me either...
Forum Resident
#5514 Old 23rd Feb 2018 at 10:16 PM
I actually finally fixed my game by myself. It took me month to figure out how to fix, but it works again, with animations and everything. Families does take time to load but it's bette than losing 80% of the animations really, and what makes me more happy is my water isn't in squares anymore. It all came down to the game didn't recognize my graphic card and now that is fixed >:3
I'm ready to play all night baby.

I build small houses *^*
Mad Poster
#5515 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 12:49 AM

classic.modthesims.info

Some of us have eyes that prefer the classic look. Try that and see if it makes you happy again.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Mad Poster
#5516 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 1:00 AM
Where, how, do I do this?

Top Secret Researcher
#5517 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
classic.modthesims.info

Some of us have eyes that prefer the classic look. Try that and see if it makes you happy again.

No, the classic look doesn't do it for me.
Mad Poster
#5518 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:12 AM
What is the classic look, and how do i change it, or where? All I see is..
Bootstrap
Bootstrap - BlueFish (I have)
Bootstrap - Slate.

Mad Poster
#5519 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:13 AM
It's horrid. So so busy and much less practical than the old one >_>

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Mad Poster
#5520 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:25 AM
I'm not fond of the new layout myself. It's far more cluttered, and there's far much empty space between the elements.

Mad Poster
#5521 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:39 AM
Somebody knows why this had to change? Is it just a test to see how we react? I find it complicated and not at all pretty.

Mad Poster
#5522 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:42 AM
I'm not sure. Delphy, er, Tashiketh was talking about it in the Discord a while ago, but I wasn't really paying attention.

Mad Poster
#5523 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 2:46 AM
Oh well. Anyway, it needs some *polishing* It looks unfinished.

Mad Poster
#5524 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 3:08 AM
I don't like anything about it. I especially hate that they moved the thanks button down. Before they put it at the top of the page, I used to be horrible about remembering to thank people. I need that cue to remind me. So, now it's back at the bottom of the page.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#5525 Old 25th Feb 2018 at 3:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I especially hate that they moved the thanks button down.

This! I have to click all over creation to even find it. grrr!
Page 221 of 511