Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#26 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 2:32 AM
Default "SIMCITY" confirmed by Maxis at Gamechangers.
Heres the trailer:
http://youtu.be/iiuruey9da4

Heres the brand new site with several juicy details:
www.simcity.com

Features:

Constructible Worlds
Immersive 3D worlds and tactile interactions give you the power to shape the city you envision.

Customize buildings to unlock additional functionality and offer additional gameplay benefits.

Experiment and place buildings in different locations and watch how it affects your city.

Play with new enhanced design tools like curvy roads and zoning to create the city you always wanted.

Complete missions to unlock better buildings and create the most impressive city in your region.

Multiplayer:
Work together with friends to build a region for the first time! The cities in your friends’ region will directly interact with each other.

Want to be a good neighbor? Send fire trucks to help your friend in an emergency.

Want to be a bad neighbor? Produce mass pollution and watch your friends’ Sims become sick.

Team up to share resources and accomplish great feats like launching shuttles into space.

Participate in global challenges like lowering the total pollution output in the SimCity world to unlock a trophy to place in your city.

Check regional and global leaderboards to compare your city with your friends.

Every decision in your city and those in your friends’ cities will impact the greater SimCity world.

ITS GONNA BE MULTIPLAYER AND DEV BY MAXIS! OMG!
Advertisement
Scholar
#27 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 3:56 AM
Just watched the announcement vid about 10 times on YouTube...CAN'T WAIT
Forum Resident
#28 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 4:02 AM Last edited by jeffrompas : 7th Mar 2012 at 4:13 AM. Reason: Didn't realize the kotaku links the same video. Oops
Me too, gotta love the quirkiness in the trailer. Hoping that this won't be like societies.
Instructor
Original Poster
#29 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 9:40 AM
Here are the system specs needed to run it --
(from the order page)

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better or Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:
Windows XP/Vista/7

RAM:
Windows XP: 1.5GB
Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB
PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB RAM

Graphics Card:
ATI X1800 or better*
nVidia 7800 or better*
Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better*

DVD-ROM:
8x or better

*Minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM and Shader 3.0 or better support.

-- I'm not an expert by any means but this doesn't seem to be too bad.

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Test Subject
#30 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 10:04 AM
Mainly cause the game is now called SIMCITY and not called SIMCITY 5.
Forum Resident
#31 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 10:45 AM
Quote from kotaku:
Quote:
Those buying either the Digital Deluxe or Limited Edition sets will get access to a range of superhero content, including a superhero and supervillain themselves (the game has individual Sims, so they'll appear in-game), along with their relevant buildings (or lairs) and special events (the villain goes on a crime wave).

Hopefully this means that the limited edition carries the same content as the digital deluxe one.
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#32 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 11:37 AM
I hope so
Echezzman Nwokeoma
staff: senior moderator
#33 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 11:38 AM
This is going to be interesting
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#34 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 12:57 PM
I merged these two threads, apologies to anyone reading who is slightly confused by the double posts!
Instructor
Original Poster
#35 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 9:44 PM
So what under the hood of the Glassbox Engine?

Here's an article from Gamasutra that explains the mechanics. And I like the part of the quote below that mentions SimTower and SimCopter!

Quote:
"You should be surprised by how simple this is, and frankly skeptical of how you can build a SimCity game out of this," joked Glassbox system designer Andrew Willmott at GDC on Wednesday.

Willmott broke down how the Glassbox engine works on a basic level. Glassbox was built with all future Maxis-made simulations in mind (classics SimTower and SimCopter were namedropped as possible directions to go, though these are obviously not announced products), though for now it's being utilized just for the upcoming SimCity revival.

This is a somewhat technical but I thought some may like to know more.

They call me The Seeker.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#36 Old 7th Mar 2012 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jeffrompas
Me too, gotta love the quirkiness in the trailer. Hoping that this won't be like societies.

Well, in regard to that, this worried me a bit:
"Experiment and place buildings in different locations and watch how it affects your city."

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 10:39 PM Last edited by SimJymm : 8th Mar 2012 at 11:33 PM.
The SimCity developers held a Reddit AMAA (Ask Me Almost Anything) today (Thursday March 8, 2012) it was from 12:00 - 3:00 PM PST.

It's a long read with "only" 2485 comments. Luckily they give you the top 200 when you go to the link.

Here's a taste.

Quote: Originally posted by Ocean Quigley -- Creative Director
We’re making SimCity, not some dopey casual game.

The most important thing is the integrity of the simulation underneath it, the stuff that represents the systems that make up a real city. I don’t want to enforce sustainable design principles in the game – I want them to emerge as natural consequences of your interaction with the simulation.

If you don’t deal with your sewage, with traffic congestion, with walkability & transit, with ground and air pollution – your city will reflect that! And there are lots of people who will want to explore the simulation and see what happens when they do. Making some polluted, congested, urban nightmare is a total win condition, as far as I’m concerned

They call me The Seeker.
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#38 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 2:49 AM
It isn't a fake. EA has confirmed the game's development at the current GDC.

Anyway merging this thread with the other one so we have a single SC5 thread rather than two.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
Scholar
#39 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 4:12 AM
Given the crap I put up with Steam, and how I've slowly adjusted to dealing with similiar, though not entirely the same crap with Origin, I know that won't be stopping me from playing this. I still have SimCity 4 installed--3 is just too simple for me to go back to after that, I need incredibly depth and complexity--but god, does the game have its issues now.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#40 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 8:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimJymm
Originally Posted by Ocean Quigley -- Creative Director
We’re making SimCity, not some dopey casual game.

The most important thing is the integrity of the simulation underneath it, the stuff that represents the systems that make up a real city. I don’t want to enforce sustainable design principles in the game – I want them to emerge as natural consequences of your interaction with the simulation.

If you don’t deal with your sewage, with traffic congestion, with walkability & transit, with ground and air pollution – your city will reflect that! And there are lots of people who will want to explore the simulation and see what happens when they do. Making some polluted, congested, urban nightmare is a total win condition, as far as I’m concerned

Well, that certainly sounds like total win to me.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Instructor
Original Poster
#41 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 4:19 PM Last edited by SimJymm : 9th Mar 2012 at 5:58 PM. Reason: added a brief description for clips
Some in-Game footage from HWClips the article is in German but you can handily choose a language.

clip 1 -a little building and map creation,Agents+Paths+Zones

clip 2 -economic loop and it's game effects

clip 3 -environmental effects

clip 4 -fire simulation

The videos are shot by hand of a presentation by Andrew Willmott at GDC. As stated in the article the videos are in the Debug mode and not the final graphics.

They call me The Seeker.
Forum Resident
#42 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 5:34 PM
Yay for zoning! Ploppables are just Infrastructures like power plants etc. :D
Theorist
#43 Old 9th Mar 2012 at 9:19 PM
Here's the major news from what Sim Jym posted. This game is gonna be awesome.

[Andrew] We can support a much richer set of transport options this time around, in terms of what agents (cars/people/bikes) can travel along what kinds of routes. (Hilariously so sometimes -- due to forgetting a line in a data file we had cars driving in the air along power lines at one point.) What will be in there for ship, I honestly don't know at this point. I'd love to see you building that housing area for real though!

[Ocean] Maxis didn’t develop Societies – we did SimCity 2k, 3k & 4 (and the original of course!)
I’m not going to bash Societies, but I will say that this new SimCity was built from the simulation engine up, and is the one that I wanted to make after I finished working on SimCity 4.

[Dan] There’s no lack of data present in our simulator, we’ve been experimenting with playful ways of representing that data to the player. That doesn’t mean you’ll have any less detailed data on your city, in fact, in a lot of ways you’ll be able to explore your city data along other dimensions that weren’t possible with previous SimCities. We’ve taken a lot of inspiration from modern data visualization techniques/style and we’ve built in the notion of ‘data layers’ into the game. For example, if you want to know everything about how power is flowing through your city, you can click on the power data view, you’ll be able to see electricity flowing down the wires, buildings will change colors representing power stored, plus you’ll get global stats about your cities power system (output/usage, etc).

[Andrew] We've addressed this elsewhere, but I just want to repeat, single player is definitely still a big focus. And if you want to play all the cities in a region yourself, that's absolutely possible. I think there's some research somewhere showing that, even with strictly multiplayer games, people wind up soloing for the majority of gameplay hours, so you're not alone!

[Ocean] Yeah, like SC4, you can build out a region by yourself, and make all of the cities serially. There are lots of players who just want to control their own world, and they don’t want anybody to interfere with it. But even those solo players are going to be participating in the flow of resources that constitute the core of the games economy – the economic landscape that they’re operating in will be shaped by the actions of other players, even if they are only playing solo. In addition, there will be regional challenges and opportunities that you’ll be competing against other regions for. So you can play by yourself. More social players can play with their friends and accomplish more, faster, but that’s their choice.

[Ocean] SimCity is all about creating and controlling a pretty complex simulation. The trick is to make the simulation intelligible, so that the cause-and-effect relationships are apparent to the player. So that you can see what’s going on.
It has to be accessible to people who have never played SimCity before. Just because the simulation is complex doesn’t mean that it should be hard to understand.
And we’re doing our best to model real-world systems with some degree of integrity, so that you’ll understand something of how they actually work. And you’ll make the tradeoffs that real cities have to make.
For example: sure coal is filthy and will sicken & kill Sims who live down-wind, but man is it cheap! And it makes plenty of power! And it works at night! And when the wind doesn’t blow! Sure, I can put up with air pollution and increased mortality for that!
So we’re not trying to lecture people and tell them what to think, we’re building a game that lets them try stuff out for themselves, and see what happens.
As for custom content – think back to SC4 - first we just need to get the game out, and make everything work robustly.

[Andrew] The news ticker was a great idea. We're trying to update it a bit for the new SimCity, move it from the era of print to today's online papers and blogs. But it's a great way to get a bit of personality and humour into the game, which I think is a lot of what makes a Maxis SimCity game.

[Ocean] We’re making this the richest, most sophisticated simulation we can. SimCity is only as good as the simulation underneath it –that’s what makes it worth caring about.
And as for music – Yes! Kent Jolly is our sound designer, and he’s very, very good, another long-time Maxis veteran.
One cool thing I can say about the game’s audio is that we’re binding it to the pulse of the simulation. When buildings are running simulation rules (like generating power, for example), they’re driving music and sound effects (that are synched to the overall beat of the simulation). The audio is telling you what the simulation is doing, it’s not just filler. And that’s a general aesthetic rule for us – there shouldn’t be any filler in the game, everything is there to show you what the simulation is doing. Everything you see is doing a job.

[Dan] The size of our new cities are roughly equivalent to the SC4 medium sized city (2 kilometers square). That said, you can connect cities together inside a region and build out a network of connected cities - each city providing different resources and abilities to its neighbors and the region. For example, one city could be a residential suburb which provides workers every day to a nearby industrial city. The industrial city could be providing power to the suburb. You can play both of these cities yourself, or even run the entire region by yourself, or invite a friend to help out. As for the biggest gameplay improvement, we’re moving from a purely statistical simulation model to an agent based model. So one example of how that’s different would be that the vehicles you saw in SC4 were just visual representations of ‘traffic density’ at that location, they weren’t real, if you watched them long enough they’d fade out as they turned corners. By contrast, with our new simulator, each and every vehicle and person is a real simulation entity heading to some real destination. So traffic jams occur naturally – it’s really fun to build out a road structure, start zoning, play for a while, and ‘discover’ where your busiest intersections are. Thanks for your support, we really do take our community seriously and are trying to deliver the game that we all want to play

[Andrew] Zoning is pretty much the same as SC4. Without that it's not SimCity! You do plop key buildings like fire stations as usual (unless you're okay with your city burning to the ground every so often), but most buildings are simulator generated.
Limited Edition vs. Collectors Edition

[Kip] Trust me when I say the base game is going to be loaded with content. We wanted to give our hardcore fans an opportunity for something extra if they decided to pre-order the game. We came up with the Heroes and Villains for our hardcore fans. Inspired by SimCity lore, Super Sim or Maxis Man as he’s sometimes called, was first seen in SimCity 2000. We decided to bring him back in a much bigger way in this SimCity.
The Collector’s edition is jammed packed with content. We have 3 new landmarks that will serve a function in your game, helping to boost tourism. They will also influence the building around them. The base game will include plenty of landmarks as well.
To clarify, the Limited Edition is a pre-order special of the base game and priced at $59.99, just like the base game. The Collector’s Edition is an Origin exclusive, priced at $79.99.

Hi I'm Paul!
Banned
#44 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 5:31 PM Last edited by 5M0K3 : 10th Mar 2012 at 7:31 PM.
Personally I wish they would spend this time making new games rather than updating old ones again and again and again. I wish they would just send out a patch for like $10 dollars or something to add to your game, making it better. But to me, all of these sequels and whatnot are just the same thing with better graphics.

EDIT: I'm not saying I wouldn't give SC5 a chance. But both EA and Maxis are very creative, and I know they could make great NEW games.
Theorist
#45 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 6:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 5M0K3
Personally I wish they would spend this time making new games rather than updating old ones again and again and again. I wish they would just send out a patch for like $10 dollars or something to add to your game, making it better. But to me, all of these sequels and whatnot are just the same thing with better graphics.

Simcity 4 is ten years old, I wouldn't call that updating again and again. It's simply outdated. You can update, but it gets to a point where you can't stretch the system anymore and it's easier to create an entirely new game. Considering what we know about the game (which is hardly anything) wait before you write it off.

Hi I'm Paul!
Mad Poster
#46 Old 10th Mar 2012 at 8:58 PM
can't wait! when will it come out?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Field Researcher
#47 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 4:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kiwi_tea
Wash your mouth out! No. It's not. It's not even a game that happened.

*Washes mouth*

Sim Societies? I've never heard of such a thing

Common sense is one of nature's great ironies... It turns out common sense isn't so common.

Please see my new journal for news on my mods as well as requests.
Instructor
Original Poster
#48 Old 11th Mar 2012 at 9:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 5M0K3

The underlying mechanics of SimCity (dropped the 5) are so different from SimCity 4, that to call it a remake is a disservice. This is a City Simulator done with a totally new game engine and is fundamentally a different game. But yes, you can call any new game that's being made remakes if they visit the same game genre that's been done before and you're right there are games being made to look new but are still the same game with a fresh coat of paint. But I think the new SimCity goes deeper than that.

Like Robodl95 says don't right this off as just a remake.

They call me The Seeker.
Scholar
#49 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 12:12 PM
Well on the trailer,
You should see a notice on the footer ( Bottom)

"Images not representative of actual game."

Man I hope it won't be like Sims Societies...

But Sims Societies isn't made from MAXIS...

Sim Renders
www.ansettanimation.com

Ansett Animation Studios is a subsidiary of RomerJon17 Productions © 2019 - 2020
Inventor
#50 Old 12th Mar 2012 at 1:24 PM
To everyone that´s hung up on the "made by Maxis" thing...
Maxis is a name owned by EA, they can slap it on anything they like, just like the new Bioware studio they opened couple of months ago that has hardly any ties to the original Bioware.

I'd be surprised if anyone on this new Maxis team was involved on any of the old Sim City series. It's just smart marketing.

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.

Page 2 of 7