Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#51 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 3:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Delphy
Alias are the company that does Maya. OBJ is a pretty old format nowadays but it's easy to read and is fairly portable.

yes, but what's with the alias wavefront thing? why doesn't MilkShape say Alias wavefront or alias rather than just Wavefront OBJ? Did alias/maya use/originate the OBJ format in an earlier version?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 3:35 PM
Blender does import and export .obj files.

ยง
Test Subject
#53 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by blut3ng3l
3D Studio Max doesn't import .obj I think Gmax is a watered down version. (Is Gmax even made by discreet?) MilkShape actually can import .obj files. If you click import and look for the program that says obj by it, it works. They are actually using MilkShape to export files into the GMDC format (with wes_h's plugin). Then SimPE is used.

Maya PLE would be good to build up skills for mesh editing though. As well as all of the watered down versions and or trials.

Hopefully, if Blender imports .obj files, that might be the best program to use to gain skills and actually create things for use.

All of us who are discussing this are probably not too good at 3D editing yet though. We should probably build up skills with random programs, trials, Maya PLE, Blender, etc.etc.etc. using tutorials.

Another program to add to the list, which is a pay, is maxon's Cinema 4D. It imports .obj files. MilkShape can't import the files it creates though. So converting it to a GMDC is a minus using that.

Actually that's incorrect about 3d studio max not importing obj files. Users would need download obj2max max2obj, Just click the 3d max version u have and download the two plugins. and then in ur 3ds root directory there is a plugins folder drop those files in there.

here's the link Object to max and max 2 object plugins

Now i hope that helps some.

Seraphira
Test Subject
#54 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 4:49 PM
Blender is an excellent program. I just downloaded it a few days ago and I'm starting to get the hang of it. When you first look at it it may seem a little wierd and if you're used to another 3D Editor you'll probably think it's REALLY wierd, but give it some time and read some tutorials and you'll get used to it.

If you download the Wavefront .Obj Exporter/Importer, mentioned earlier, you should be able to both export an import .obj files with no trouble at all. Actually, I know it imports them (I've done it), but as I don't have access to the "Sims 2 Mesh Tool" I haven't been able to see if the exported files work (although I see no reason why they shouldn't).

I actually think it feels like a "real" comercial program and I can't believe it's completely free. So, now you can stop asking about it... If you don't want to spend thousands of dollars, Blender is an EXCELLENT choice.

(Find it at www.blender3d.com)
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 11:45 PM
Roughly what would be a good poly count for objects hair and such?
Alchemist
#56 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 12:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cold_Ethyl
Roughly what would be a good poly count for objects hair and such?

Most of the hair files I've looked at in TS2 have under 500 polys. The bulk of the appearance detail seems to come from texturing.
<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 1:04 AM
Yeah I was taking them apart in game and noticed how flat they looked. Objects would probaly be around the same to. People, hmm 8000 or so? Give or take a few 1000
Instructor
#58 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 11:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vinther
If you download the Wavefront .Obj Exporter/Importer, mentioned earlier, you should be able to both export an import .obj files with no trouble at all.

OK, it's time for my first posting. Hi @ all! :howdy:
Have to start with a stupid question... :bricks:
Where can I download the Wavefront.Obj Ex/Importer? Could't find it.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#59 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 11:27 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Khaibit
Where can I download the Wavefront.Obj Ex/Importer? Could't find it.

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Import___Export.5.0.html
Instructor
#60 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 11:35 AM
Thanks a lot!
(damn, this question was really stupid... try not to continue asking stupid questions.)
Test Subject
#61 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 12:46 PM
The new versions of Blender should come with .obj (and a bunch other) import/export plugins. The one I downloaded a month ago did anyway.
Test Subject
#62 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 1:22 PM
It comes with an Importer but not an Exporter.
Test Subject
#63 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 2:23 PM
Back on the subject of polycounts, I think it might be useful to come up with some guidelines on that; some of the hair files for TS1 were ending up at 500k-1MB and seriously impeding performance. TS2 is already pretty hardware intensive with noticeable slowdown even on a 3.2GHz P4 with X800XT and a gig of RAM if you turn everything on.

I personally don't want the best models to have so many polys they bring the game to its knees when you can acheive much of the effect through decent texturing, so how about maybe some warning in the mesh tool if you try and make a new object that contains a really outrageous number of polys? I'm not suggesting that you prevent the object being made, just warn the creator.

I started out modelling for GTA and some of the models for that were ridiculously high poly count, mainly from people new to modelling for games who made them using splines in 3DS Max with no clue as to the impact a 50k+ poly car would have on the game...
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#64 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 6:38 PM
Test Subject
#65 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 9:27 PM Last edited by simgrl04 : 19th Jan 2005 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Got answered
Miche, that is so cool!
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#66 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 9:31 PM
Her arms weren`t altered at all, only the skirt. I know that because this is about the only object/mesh I have actualy changed myself.
Test Subject
#67 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 9:41 PM
It's most likely the cut of the skirt. *nod*
Lab Assistant
#68 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 10:52 PM
blender
So i have blender right, now what i want to know is? if i use blender import/export thingy , does that mean that i dont need to use simpe. Are do i need SimPE to extracted the obj files out of the sims , just so i can work on the meshes. :confused:
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#69 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 11:18 PM
You still need Simpe, yes to export the obj files out , but also to extract the gmdc files out, if you are modifing a existing object.

(The final interface and process isn`t finished yet, so things might change, but you will still need Simpe, and know how to use it.)
Test Subject
#70 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 11:21 PM
seresv, You still nee to use SimPE because SimPE will take the object from a format the game reads to the .obj the we can edit (with Blender, for example). The tool this thread is about will take the .obj back to a format the game will read. You will need to use SimPE again to put that file back in the game.

Edit: Oops, Miche said it beofre me. Oh, well.
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 11:31 PM Last edited by electric : 19th Jan 2005 at 11:43 PM. Reason: adding a link.
About my problem with Anim8or.

I managed to export the object out and the gmdc file. Anim8or wouldnt read the file.So, i found a small program on the net called Crossroads. I opened the object that i extracted using Crossroads, saved it again as an .obj file (yes...i know weird), then Anim8or read the file without a problem, even though it was saved as an obj file before. So i edited the mesh,and now waiting for the new tool to be released. Its strange how it wouldn't read the first obj,but read the second.
By the way, anybody wanting to use Anim8or, heres the link.
http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html

This guy (Steve) does this for free.Hes a legend. He has an excellent help site with a great forum too.Dont pay a cent for 3d programs.
Lab Assistant
#72 Old 19th Jan 2005 at 11:46 PM Last edited by electric : 19th Jan 2005 at 11:47 PM. Reason: fixed link
crossroads is here
http://synapses.mcg.edu/tools/xroads/xroads.stm

I only used it because Anim8or wouldnt read my file without this.Most 3d programs wouldnt have a problem.
Test Subject
#73 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 3:01 AM
I have the same problem with Anim8or except I use UVmapper to export OBJ files again which also allows me to texture the model too.
Test Subject
#74 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 3:02 AM
so when will this tool be up for d/l?

I hate hacks that lets you cheat
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#75 Old 20th Jan 2005 at 11:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Pagnotta
so when will this tool be up for d/l?

We don`t currently have a release date...ie it will be released when it`s ready, which should be "soon". Please read the FAQ on page 1 as that question was already answered.
Page 3 of 6