Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 6:17 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Late Night
Default Mods not working after following instructions, tried various things
Hey everyone! I'm having some trouble getting the mod setup to work. My game runs fine, I'm on windows 8.1 and my game is on version 1.17.6. I've installed the modthesims framework, and my folder looks like this: http://prntscr.com/eyzkqb

So unless I'm blind (not impossible), my setup looks as it should in accordance with the setup guide. Despite that, I still load the game to find the intro running and none of my other mods working.
I have tried:
Deleting the whole setup and starting again
Deleting the cache files all at once
Replacing Resource.cfg
Patching and reinstalling the game

If anyone has any insight please let me know. I'm sure as the guide says I must have done something wrong but I have yet to find out what that is.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 21st Apr 2017 at 6:49 AM
Yikes. Most mods out there today are just not going to work on Patch 1.17 as there have been way too many changes to the core and other game files since then (late 2010). Is there a reason that you are not patching your game up to current levels? The SuperPatcher to bring your game up to 1.67, which is considered current, all in one step can be downloaded here (note that it is a huge download): https://help.ea.com/en-tr/help/the-...3-super-patcher

Forget about using Origin and Patch 1.69 if the offer comes up, that one is also considered current but doesn't add anything to the game itself that most anyone would call helpful unless you need your game to be Origin controlled for some other reason.

You said you did try patching, but by what method and how did you land on this old version again?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 6:45 AM
I forget what method I used exactly - I only have the memory of feeling accomplished in having patched the game, which I know isn't very descriptive. It's totally a good call to patch, though, given how much can change .5 of an entire version later ...

Nevertheless, I don't think that worked - I'm still running an intro upon startup, and my skuversion.txt tells me that I'm on 1.67.2. Got anything else I can try?
Field Researcher
#4 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 6:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by rimnord
I forget what method I used exactly - I only have the memory of feeling accomplished in having patched the game, which I know isn't very descriptive. It's totally a good call to patch, though, given how much can change .5 of an entire version later ...

Nevertheless, I don't think that worked - I'm still running an intro upon startup, and my skuversion.txt tells me that I'm on 1.67.2. Got anything else I can try?

Try starting up the Launcher and see what your game version is at the bottom left corner of the Launcher.The .txt file might be showing the wrong version for some reason.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by flowr
Try starting up the Launcher and see what your game version is at the bottom left corner of the Launcher.The .txt file might be showing the wrong version for some reason.

Launcher looks to be telling me the same thing, 1.67.2.024002 etc. Thanks for the quick response :lovestruc
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 7:03 AM
Also check the modification time and date of the file called DeviceConfig.log in your TS3 game folder in Documents. It should be exactly that of your most recent launch attempt -- if not sure, launch the game and then go back to see if it's updated. It's possible that you have a second TS3 game folder someplace and the one you are putting mods into is not the one that the game is reading.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 7:07 AM
It looks to be the right folder - DeviceConfig is reading 1:41 AM on 4/22, which is right around the last time I ran the full game and not just the launcher.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Apr 2017 at 7:14 AM
(rolling up sleeves) I see this one is going to be stubborn and requires a bit more force -- your game, I mean, not you personally.

If you haven't already done this, pull your entire TS3 user game folder out of Documents to the Desktop (you can put it or elements inside of it back later), thus forcing the game to spawn a new one on its next launch. You will have no content at all, no saves, installed worlds, etc. but those will all be safe back in the pulled out folder. Back out, set up the Framework with the sample mods again, and try to start a new game. Do the sample mods get recognized on the clean game folder?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 2:21 AM
Actually -- that worked!!! x_x

I guess in deleting/reinstalling the game itself I never considered that my documents would be messed up. Loaded the game with no intro, no problem. Thanks so much igazor and flowr. You guys are good.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 24th Apr 2017 at 3:17 AM
Yah, re-installs and patching (and patching that takes place during the install procedure) can ruin an existing user game folder if it's not pulled out first. Doesn't happen to everyone all of the time, but it's certainly not unknown either. Glad you were able to get that sorted out!
Field Researcher
#11 Old 25th Apr 2017 at 10:01 AM
Glad to be of any help! Happy to hear that the mods now work!