Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 9:11 AM
Default Question about cloning windows.
When cloning windows and editing the mesh - I noticed two sides - north and south. Which side is the side facing inside the building and which is facing outside - or does it matter?

Also - if one wanted to leave a part of the glass section missing from the ledge so that that little section is open and not covered with glass - would that be done via recoloring the glass texture? Or would that involve editing part of the mesh itself?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 9:21 AM
A window can be placed either way round, so you could end up with either the north or the south outside when you are playing. So just decide for yourself which you want to look like the outside and the player will have to "pull" the window the right way round.

For the glass, it is best to actually alter the mesh, because usually it uses a material that is shared between several windows, and you don't really want to have to start editing that or creating a custom texture. So much easier just to make sure the glass mesh stops short of the area you wanted clear.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 9:40 AM
Thanks Inge - I have opened the frame part but not sure how and where to get the glass part as there is no GMDC for the glass part of the window. Do you have any suggestions? It's the storybook stencil window.
#4 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 9:51 AM
The glass *should* be part of the same GMDC as the frame, just a different subset. Are you exporting through the GMDC plugin window, or using Extract from the resource list to use with Wes's Milkshape plugin?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 10:07 AM
I used the export button from within the GMDC plugin window. Was that not right? FYI - The table was the only thing I have ever made in MilkShape - so I am fairly new at it - other than just messing around in the program for practice at creating with it.
#6 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 10:10 AM
That's fine. Just needed to know which in order to give the next suggestion. Ok before you export, make sure all the parts, in the box next to the preview window, are ticked. Only ticked subsets get exported.

Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 10:12 AM Last edited by wndy26 : 4th Oct 2007 at 11:57 AM.
So that was my mistake...LOL! I already edited both the south and north sections of only the frame...will I have to start over?

Update: Well, I indeed will have to start over...after starting over the last time. The storybook window has two distinct sides. I wanted to add a counter to the inside section and a ledge to the outside section to build my ticket booth. I got them backward for this particular window. LOL. But other than that and adjusting the wallmask it looked really cool!

Is there a way to enable a slot on a window so that things can be placeable on the ticket booth inside counter? Do you know the specific height for counter tops in order for objects to sit correctly?

Also, Inge...thank you a ton for all your help! I dunno that I would have gotten as far as I did with it without your help! TY TY TY
Test Subject
#8 Old 5th Oct 2007 at 5:18 AM
The north side mesh faces the arrow on the placement grid I believe.

As for height, end tables are around .8 (based on a tile being a 1.0 x 1.0 x 1.0 cube)
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 5th Oct 2007 at 5:12 PM
Thanks! That helps tons!