Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2015 at 3:25 PM Last edited by xPennyxTallyx : 27th Jan 2015 at 5:28 PM.
Default A Post-Apopalyptic Military world.
So I recently started revamping Riverview into a world I have been searching for. It's based on just after zombies have been exterminated from the world, everyone is still paranoid and suspicious, so all houses and workplaces are fenced in. Stone-working and such are pushed to the side in the rush to construct the building needed. Meaning all the buildings are cinder block and metal.

I've also decided to only use the candle style and the hurricane lamps, after all there wouldn't be much fuel left for electric after the apocalypse. The only electric items used are in the houses, the fridge, cooker, washer and dryer. I've tried to make a few things look rusty, so they give off a salvaged look. I also decided to make the furnishings sparse, using mostly base game stuff as some of it look like furniture that could be salvaged or put together quickly in large quantities.

There will be only one piece of CC used in this world: Jynx's Rabbit hole rugs.

Anyway I've just about finished the military sector of the world that has the Military base (which also houses city hall and the police), the hospital, six identical homes for Soldiers, a gym, a park where all the fresh food is grown and a car lot where the military keep their refurbished moving vans.

The Park. The only source of fresh fruit and veggies in town.

The hospital. The only building with a red roof.

The Car lot (One of the first things I built)

The Military Base (Includes City Hall and Police)

Soldier's House (Six in total but all are Identical. As I would assume they would be anyway)

The Gym (Building now has same roof colour as the Soldiers Home but I forgot to take a picture . Rusty Weightlifting Machines, Freshly repainted treadmills and wooden pull up bars. Also includes Bunks and table tennis for the people who are still scared to go out at night and stayed too late.

For a world that is supposed to look blocky I think it seems alright. Opinions are appreciated, Flames will be used to roast marshmallows.

"Fear is only in our minds. But it takes over all the time."
Advertisement
#2 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 4:37 AM
This is an interesting concept, good luck with it
Instructor
#3 Old 26th Jan 2015 at 10:49 AM
You'll have to read up the building tutorials here at MTS, which can help you get rid of Autoroof, using the old red roof colour, and better furnishing. The concept is good, but you'll need to have better actualization. Good luck
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Jan 2015 at 5:48 PM
Default Update
The Science Centre. I need add something else either side of the building, maybe crates or some more trucks, any opinions?

A view of the military sector. The original tree layout is there but anything higher than low def for trees in my game make's it crash...

The Grocery store. The toilets are were the actual rabbit hole is hidden. I thought market stalls would be more likely than a shop after the apocalypse.

School. The only rabbit hole with indoor furnishings (That may get deleted because I hate them)

"Fear is only in our minds. But it takes over all the time."
Field Researcher
#5 Old 27th Jan 2015 at 5:59 PM
I agree, the idea is very interesting. However, I don't really get the post-apocalyptic feel from the terrain, it looks too green and tidy in my opinion. I would add some weeds, brambles, bushes, etc. here and there to give it a more messy look, as if no one had taken care of it and nature had just started invading the whole place during the apocalypsis

Find all my creations here:
My blog: Nilxis Designs // My Tumblr page: http://nilxis.tumblr.com
Scholar
#6 Old 27th Jan 2015 at 9:36 PM
I have to agree with what's been previously said. One thing I would add is that I wouldn't use that gothic Victorian graveyard fence around the outsides of the lots, instead I would use the much more modern chain-link fence as I think it is much more appropriate for the kind of buildings you're creating.
Instructor
#7 Old 27th Jan 2015 at 10:03 PM Last edited by Crowkeeper : 27th Jan 2015 at 10:32 PM.
I agree with Fergus Mind. I think that the fence you used is the biggest problem - You want to make your world look like it has been built very quickly but you used a fence that took a lot of effort to make.
I also agree with Nilxis that the terrain is not the right choice.
Maybe it would look better if you havent used any roof - just a floor and the low fence around it. I think that it should look as simple as possible to create the feeling you are aiming for. I would also use all these barrels and crates from buydebug.
Edit: I made you an example of what I mean:
Screenshots
#8 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 1:47 AM
I think the major piece of advice I'd give you is to watch your spacing with regards to potential sim traps. You know as well as I do how dumb sims can be sometimes, so make sure you have ample squares between gates and front doors, for example or adequate spacing in bathrooms and kitchens and around tables and chairs to allow for more than one sim to try to get in at once, particularly in community lots. The last thing you want is for sims to be yelling and waving at you for the sake of an extra square or two.