Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jun 2008 at 1:01 PM
Default Death Note
I was shocked to see there was no DN topic up already, so...

Now that all's said and done (unless you're still waiting for the rest of the English version of the anime), what did you think? Who were you rooting for, and why? And what reaction did Episode 25 provoke?

-Spoiler warning-

Personally, I adored it, but I did think Light went a little off the rails after L died.
Advertisement
#2 Old 10th Jun 2008 at 7:45 PM
L and Mikami are definitely my favorite characters in the manga.
I watch the English anime with my mom (and she loves it, weird I know) and the anime is simply superb I think. I can sometimes finish lines for the characters plus it's fun to see all the extras tossed in.
I can't wait to see the end of it and for my mom's reaction to the finale.
#3 Old 12th Jun 2008 at 12:13 AM
I looooove Desu Noto! Absolutely brilliant anime (actually one of the very few I can stand). Its just tops. Intellectual, philosophical, fanastical, everything I love.

My absolute favourite character is Ryuk, he cracks me up. At first he scared the bejeebas out of me but I grew to love him and his apple withdrawal symptoms I like his English voice actor better, because he hits that grittiness and sort of disturbing tone which suits him perfectly.

Second in line is L (of course, who couldn't love him!). Also took me a while to like his character but I have fallen in love with him and his quirky ways. Which is why I was so sad and shocked by episode 25... I couldn't believe it...

Light is good at times and I could like him but he is just too evil! That episode when he told Naomi Misora that he was Kira, and her face right before she was forced to commit suicide... that was heart breaking. I think from that point my attitude towards Light swiftly changed.

Love the series, haven't seen any of the movies yet but I'm bound to soon.
Test Subject
#4 Old 12th Jun 2008 at 2:34 AM
There used to be one I think, but it was deleted xD

I love DN <3 It was my favorite at one time. Mello and Matt being my favorite characters. I liked how they were just as smart as L, Near, or Light, but kind of showed it in a different way. It was a nice change of pace xD
Field Researcher
#5 Old 12th Jun 2008 at 3:56 AM
Light's a faggot whose morals were skewed to begin with. All that "cleansing the world" crap was mostly a cover for his megalomaniacal desire to be a God Of The New World™.

His Utopia would have been nothing but a festering hellhole of fear and Orwellian law. Just imagine the amount of times he must have killed the wrongly accused. He killed innocents under the clause that it was a means to an end.

He was smart, I won't deny that but he over-estimated himself. He thought he could do no wrong, he believed he was so smart that his opinions had to be right and he never once second-guessed himself or examined his beliefs (no joking about the conviction with which I'm writing this).

Evil will always exist, because most of it is bred from necessity and insanity. Crimes of passion will never die, crime of necessity will never end. All Light did was scare people into playing nice. Mikami was worse, killing people just because they weren't living to their full potential, but Light didn't stop him despite having the power to, which makes him just as bad. I kinda feel sorry for Misa, as she did seem kind of nice in a way, but she was obviously just as fucked in the head as the rest of them. She killed people, too, completely without remorse. She's also terrifying because she basically did anything Light asked. Doing anything for love is a very romantic thought, but Misa's dedication was disturbing. Her character was just kind of...pathetic, she was like a little puppy beginning for attention, ecstatic about whatever crumbs of affection were thrown her way.

The funny thing about Misa and Light's 'relationship' is that Light always viewed Misa as a criminal. Because she killed people, he saw her as a murderer just the same as all the ones he had killed with the Death Note. He only kept her around to use her and considered killing her a few times. Apparently only he, God Of The New World™, is allowed to kill and still be righteous. What gave him this holy right? Nothing, he bestowed it upon himself because OBVIOUSLY he's so smart and always right so he can do such a thing and it must be true.

WHAT A BUNCH OF CUNTS.

L was cool, though. He wasn't an angel, but he was fucking awesome and was way more grounded than Light, with far more ethics.

Anyway, it was pretty good. I've got the manga up to volume 10. Very enjoyable, but it pales in comparison to things like Monster. Monster is epic.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 12th Jun 2008 at 4:14 AM
Oh, and episode 25.

I cried, oh yes. I welled up. The stupid fucking fanservice/religious imagery kinda ruined the mood, though. Totally unnecessary. Prefer the manga in that respect, although the little flashbacks to L's Orphanage days were a nice touch.

Seriously, does anyone else's heart weep for him? He was a fucking orphan who dedicated his life (from probably quite a young age) to solving hard-to-crack cases and died at 26. He had no family to moarn his death. Near and Mello were too caught up in their little race to truely care that he was gone. The investigation team were some of the only people to have known him, and because they didn't really understand him, they didn't much care when he died. His appearance spoke volumes about his life style. He rarely went outside, staying in on the computer working most of the time, he barely ever slept and all the company he had was Watari. Ohba confirmed that he'd never had any friends (what he told Light was a lie), so he never knew the joy of love or friendship. He's a fucking picture of misery. Despite this, he just continued on doing his job because he knew it was important and something he had to do. Obata drew him with dead eyes for a reason.
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Jun 2008 at 7:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by spatulageekgirl
Seriously, does anyone else's heart weep for him? He was a fucking orphan who dedicated his life (from probably quite a young age) to solving hard-to-crack cases and died at 26. He had no family to moarn his death. Near and Mello were too caught up in their little race to truely care that he was gone. The investigation team were some of the only people to have known him, and because they didn't really understand him, they didn't much care when he died. His appearance spoke volumes about his life style. He rarely went outside, staying in on the computer working most of the time, he barely ever slept and all the company he had was Watari. Ohba confirmed that he'd never had any friends (what he told Light was a lie), so he never knew the joy of love or friendship. He's a fucking picture of misery. Despite this, he just continued on doing his job because he knew it was important and something he had to do. Obata drew him with dead eyes for a reason.
Gah, you're so right! Near and Mello... the self-centered idiots. That scene where the man in charge of the orphanage tells them L's dead- he's grieving, and all they care about is who L picked to be his successor!

Can you tell I don't like them much?

But yes, I did feel so very sorry for L. Poor thing never had a real life, and I'm willing to bet he was pretty much forced into becoming a detective in the first place.
Original Poster
#8 Old 12th Jun 2008 at 7:59 PM
Although... does anyone else they'd have done what Light did if a Death Note fell into their path? I think I either would've done that, or gone insane with guilt after the first death.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 13th Jun 2008 at 1:18 AM
I wouldn't have thought it was real so if I did even test it to begin with and the person died, I would have been wracked with guilt and burnt the damn thing. No human is meant to have that sort of power.
#10 Old 14th Jun 2008 at 11:22 AM
Yeah, I agree. If I found a book like that I'd probably be too scared to write someone's name in it anyway. I probably would have just threw it in the trash, or burnt it. Even if they are criminals, it would just freak me out too much!

But one thing I really don't get about Light is that, how does he expect to create a perfect, crime free world? Especially since he's found out that it wasn't just L who was after him, now that Near is part of the investigation. I guess its because he's deluded with power, but you think a smart guy would figure out that his mission is practically impossible?
Test Subject
#11 Old 17th Jun 2008 at 1:32 AM
Love DN! A lot of kids in my school started reading it before school ended; I've read up through Volume 7. A girl I know happens to love Near and hates Light. ^_^
Original Poster
#12 Old 18th Jun 2008 at 5:23 PM
By the way, what did people think of Episode 37 (the last one)? I still can't bring myself to watch anything other than the very beginning and end of it, other than the part where Matsuda... goes a little bit bonkers.
#13 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 7:58 PM
This was a cool manga. I like L but it's too bad what happens to him.
Scholar
#14 Old 10th Jul 2008 at 9:52 PM
I finally got around to watching the TV series. I didn't really care for the beginning or the middle (besides the occasionally comedic moment courtesy of Light's pompous behavior), but I had to admit, I found the last third very entertaining.

It was mostly a case of "Oh, man, they are going to nail his ass! I cannot wait till they nail that jerk's ass! It's going to be awesome."

And it was pretty darn satisfying when Light got taken down. I didn't really like Near Or even the original L that much, but it was still a great moment watching him try and weasel his way out of it.

Quote: Originally posted by aimsme
By the way, what did people think of Episode 37 (the last one)? I still can't bring myself to watch anything other than the very beginning and end of it, other than the part where Matsuda... goes a little bit bonkers.

My favorite episode (though I'm not a huge fan of the series). I was very happy with the choice of action Matsuda took.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
#15 Old 27th Jul 2008 at 6:36 AM
I love Death Note! Everybody I know, just about LOVES L! Except for my roommate, who is weird and likes Light instead. L is so much sexier! :nyah:

My parents actually watched it which I think is HALLARIOUS! **SPOILER** My mom says all the time, "L's not really dead, I know he's alive somewhere" and just today she told me that he's sexy. lol. Duh mom!

If I picked it up, of course since I've seen this anime, I would think it's just a toy or something, and I would probably right the name of this girl I dislike. If she actually died though, I would be freaked out, burn it, and probably be like this: for the rest of my life.

My favorite episode is defiantly the last one! ***MAJOR SPOILERS*** I love the part where Light laughs...it's just so evil and he is so about it and then Near's like, "No you're just a murderer." And, rather than in the Manga, where light is just a b****, and like "NO I DON'T WANNA DIE!" you actually feel sorry for him when he's running and having flashbacks. And then the way Mikami kills himself is just pimp.
But yeah, I didn't really like the series as much after L died, I especially hated Mello, because he was so full of himself. I watched though b/c I wanted to know what was going to happen...that's the reason why you watch from the beginning.

My favorite characters:
1) L: because he's awesome and sexy and you just want to squeeze him!
2) Mikami: because he's so psychotic, he's just fun to watch, and listening to his story...I actually can understand his point of view.
3) Soichiro Yagami: I loved Light's father. He was just very kind and never gave up.
4) Matsuda: I thought he was just adorable! I liked him from the start, and somebody had to tell Light off for leading his own father to his death after all his father did for him too!
5) Ryuk: He just stands there and watches. It's funny how it was all for his entertainment.

Least Favorite characters:
1) Mello: he's annoying, I hate his hair and he made it all end, when it should've lasted longer.
2) Misa: you kind of felt sorry for her at points, and she wasn't extremely annoying until she met Light, but she's really stupid...she just went along with whatever he said.

Light was fun to watch at times. Such as the time when he had hidden the mini TV in the chips. It was such a dramatic scene and that made it so funny "I'll take a chip and EAT IT!" But then there were times where you just hated him so much. Like when L dies (especially if you see the deleted scene "L's Funeral"). And there were those times he wasn't so bad, like in the beginning, or when he lost his memory of the Death Note. I liked him then, but then once he got it back in his hands...he was a real b******.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 28th Jul 2008 at 1:46 PM
I love Death Note, but I love the anime more than the manga. The manga is just too long for me. My favorite characters are, well, Light and L ^_^ I know they both have different ideals, but they're both smart, and good looking XD

I also like Mello. He's a lot cooler than Near (I really wish they thought of someone better than Near, or introduced Mello alone) and he's almost as cool as L. I wanna cosplay as him someday (even though I'm a girl hehe).
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Sep 2008 at 9:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Jetta
I love Death Note! Everybody I know, just about LOVES L! Except for my roommate, who is weird and likes Light instead. L is so much sexier! :nyah:

My parents actually watched it which I think is HALLARIOUS! **SPOILER** My mom says all the time, "L's not really dead, I know he's alive somewhere" and just today she told me that he's sexy. lol. Duh mom!
My mum's tried banning it for some odd reason (apparently I'm obsessed :P)...

Quote:
Light was fun to watch at times. Such as the time when he had hidden the mini TV in the chips. It was such a dramatic scene and that made it so funny "I'll take a chip and EAT IT!" But then there were times where you just hated him so much. Like when L dies (especially if you see the deleted scene "L's Funeral"). And there were those times he wasn't so bad, like in the beginning, or when he lost his memory of the Death Note. I liked him then, but then once he got it back in his hands...he was a real b******.
Ah yes, the famous crisp scene. *snickers*

And I did so adore the innocent version of Light. I actually cried at the L's funeral scene- not for L, but for the innocent Light who seemed to have died too.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 8th Sep 2008 at 12:57 PM
I'll take a potato chip... and I'll EAT it!

Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube

28/11/07
Test Subject
#19 Old 1st Jan 2009 at 12:13 AM
)~*spoiler alert*~(
i miss L. i wanted to just kill light, but i guess i've always wanted to do that. I hate light, but he is cute, but not as cute as L. Near is cute too, bute, again, not as cute as L. I think this might be obvious, but i love L.
Test Subject
#20 Old 9th Feb 2009 at 11:11 PM
Ah... Death Note<3 I just started reading the manga (I had to lend my Big Viz Dragon Ball Z in exchange! It made me so very depressed to be without it...) and so far, I'm lovin' it. L makes me laugh. Light creepily enough reminds me of myself, and Ryuk causes a lot of giggles with his apple-eating habits. It's a good read. I'm enjoying it.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 10th Feb 2009 at 2:42 PM
It's the only manga I've ever read from begining to end and the only anime series I've ever been able to follow from begining to end. Episode 25 did make me cry, as did the very last episode.
I don't like Ryuk. The whole thing was his fault because he was bored and wanted to see what would happen. He had no loyalty to anyone but himself. He is also one of the least interesting characters to me. My favorites (in terms of being interesting, not necessarily "right" or "wrong") are L, Light, Soichiro, Matsuda, Mello, Aizawa, and Rem. Ryuk, Near, and Takada are my least favorite.
#22 Old 17th Mar 2009 at 1:16 AM
Kyra should have won. I was honestly rooting for him the entire time. O_O

Also, ever since I finished Death Note I've got a habit of twirling one of my locks of hair with a finger while bored. >_<
Moderator of Camera Models
retired moderator
#23 Old 24th Mar 2009 at 3:48 AM
I started watching Death Note mid last year and was enchanted. I was quite shocked by how good it was.

HOWEVER

I couldn't maintain interest after L's departure. Granted I only went a few episodes in after that... should I have stayed for more? The L vs Light thing was just so wonderfully put together I couldn't see the show sustaining my interest without it.

*** Games Journalist with the magazines PC Powerplay and Hyper ***

And guys don't say a game is 'addicting'. That is a horrible massacre of the English language. The word is 'addictive'. Thank you. :)
#24 Old 28th Mar 2009 at 12:48 AM
ElPresidente: I thought the rivalry between Near and Mello gave it a bit of an edge and I really enjoyed when everyone interacted, especially when Near figured out that Light was L and teased him with it. Plus I loved Mello when his truly freaky side came out after the raid on his compound.

I've been spending inordinate amounts of time on YouTube watching Death Note related videos -__-
It started because I found out there was a deleted scene of L's funeral and I had to see it, haha.
Forum Resident
#25 Old 12th May 2009 at 10:13 AM
I FREAKIN ADORE DEATH NOTE! It's the best anime and I even recommended it to my mom, and she loved it! It kinda spread though...since mom had to recommend it to her friends and such, even to her church pals O.o

Some of them didn't quite approve and my mom says they're too afraid of the word "death" LOL however, some really loved it. I think its the best/most educational anime out there - IMO. Its also really easy to relate with the characters, how they feel and think.

My fave characters would be L, Ryuk, Mello, Matt, Halle and Light...sometimes. XD he's just too entertaining. "I'll take a POTATO CHIP!....and EAT IT!" XD

Oh and Cyvole, there's an alternate ending where Kira won. It's around youtube (manga pages).