Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jul 2012 at 11:17 AM
Default Can you use Sims 3 skins on Sims Medival?
Title speaks for itself. I wan't to know because I want to use this one http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=479460
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Jul 2012 at 3:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by acrazyguy3/2
Title speaks for itself. I wan't to know because I want to use this one http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=479460

I'm fairly sure this will work fine unedited. I think the textures are the same size.
You'll have to rename the files to overwrite the TSM skintone files though or they won't show.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 4:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ChickieTeeta
I'm fairly sure this will work fine unedited. I think the textures are the same size.
You'll have to rename the files to overwrite the TSM skintone files though or they won't show.
Thank you
Scholar
#4 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 3:12 PM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 7th Jul 2012 at 1:39 PM.
I don't know who disagreed with me, but here it is in my game.

Screenshots
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Jul 2012 at 10:19 PM
I had to cover my eyes then as I scrolled down! Lovely sim!
Scholar
#6 Old 7th Jul 2012 at 1:59 PM Last edited by ChickieTeeta : 7th Jul 2012 at 3:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I had to cover my eyes then as I scrolled down! Lovely sim!

LOL I've cropped it back a little from the original posted screenshot. I cut it above his 'sim-bits' then posted it, but it was still quite low (hadn't realized quite how low till I came back and scrolled down myself lol). I wanted to keep the hips in, since this is what I liked best about this skintone, they've been beautifully done. Hopefully it's not so excruciating to scroll down now =P

Thank you, he was originally a heavily cassed NPC, I like to play with the features they were given till they look decent. I saved this one, and he's now my monarch's brother.
Test Subject
#7 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 1:46 AM
What would they need to be renamed, by the way? What would I want to name the files if I was, say, looking to overwrite the pinkest skin and the one second to last on the right column?
Scholar
#8 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 3:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cuniculosa
What would they need to be renamed, by the way? What would I want to name the files if I was, say, looking to overwrite the pinkest skin and the one second to last on the right column?

I normally look through the build files and guess which is which, it's not always evident from just looking at them, so the answer is I don't know which these would be. The pinkest one might be the WhiteLight skintone, but again I'm just guessing.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 8:57 AM
I normally look through the build files and guess which is which, it's not always evident from just looking at them, so the answer is I don't know which these would be. The pinkest one might be the WhiteLight skintone, but again I'm just guessing.

Oh, so what you mean is you'd just need to rename them so the computer doesn't get confused? So say you have the same default skin named "SuperHairyAll Skin" in your TS3 mods folder, but if you want it in you TSM folder, you just copy the .package file you'd have to rename it as "SuperHairyAll Skin2"?

This magic goblin armor smells a little musty.
Scholar
#10 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 6:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Smashed Cat
Oh, so what you mean is you'd just need to rename them so the computer doesn't get confused? So say you have the same default skin named "SuperHairyAll Skin" in your TS3 mods folder, but if you want it in you TSM folder, you just copy the .package file you'd have to rename it as "SuperHairyAll Skin2"?

No it's what's inside the package that needs to be renamed to overwrite the tsm skintones, it/they has/have to be identical to the one/ones you want to overwrite, instance ID and all.

You'll also most likely have to edit the casp file to make it work with TSM too.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 21st Feb 2013 at 8:51 PM
Somehow the sims in Medieval look more realistic than the dolls from Sims 3 even with imported skins...
Field Researcher
#12 Old 26th Feb 2013 at 10:42 PM Last edited by Silverprinz : 26th Feb 2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: added info
You can use an existing skin mod, replacing the image files as you like and re-assemble a new package. As a quick example, here is one I did for my game because I wanted a more red skintone. I used Gimp 2.8.2 plus .dds plug-in to edit the image files.

A screenshot and 7z of the file are attached.
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  RedSkin.7z (763.0 KB, 143 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#13 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 1:40 AM
If you're overwriting the basegame skintones there's no need to fiddle with casp files at all, so long as the filenames are the same.
Scholar
#14 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 8:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cuniculosa
If you're overwriting the basegame skintones there's no need to fiddle with casp files at all, so long as the filenames are the same.

I know, I had a moment of brainfreeze, you are of course, right.
Test Subject
#15 Old 2nd Feb 2014 at 11:30 PM
I know, I had a moment of brainfreeze, you are of course, right.

I wish you could explain what is overwriting for those dummies like me.
I cannot live without NavetSea's skintones and I really really really hoped they could be used in Medieval...
Test Subject
#16 Old 16th Feb 2014 at 1:36 AM
Same Here. I haven't a clue how to mod TSM or even open the package and of course, I don't know how to figure out what the file names need to be either. I suppose google may guide me to this solution though.
Test Subject
#17 Old 7th Mar 2014 at 11:27 PM
Male skins work perfectly fine for me without renaming anything (I barely know how to do this anyway). Is there such a mod for female skins as well?

When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes.