Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Sims2Pack Clean Installer V1.6.22 (Updated Aug 2, 2014)

by Mootilda Posted 3rd Jul 2010 at 3:55 AM - Updated 2nd Aug 2014 at 10:28 PM by Mootilda

644 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 460 Feedback Posts, 183 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 5 of 26
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#101 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 12:45 AM
Mootilda is it possible to have a version that does not require installing? Like most of the TS3 tools have? I would like to try to get this to work with OS X and Mono but installable exe's don't work.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#102 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 1:21 AM
Yes, I believe that it would be possible to make the changes necessary to remove the requirement to install. You'd probably lose the ability to "Install All" files within a folder (especially zip and rar files), but I can't think of anything else which actually requires installation. Let me look into it.
Test Subject
#103 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 4:02 AM
Sorry if this has already been answered, but does this help to find problem files? There's one file that keeps crashing the game randomly and I haven't had any luck finding which one it is.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#104 Old 1st Sep 2010 at 4:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sursion
Sorry if this has already been answered, but does this help to find problem files? There's one file that keeps crashing the game randomly and I haven't had any luck finding which one it is.
The Clean Installer can help to find duplicate files, empty files and hacks, but will not find conflicting or incompatible custom content.

Your problem is probably better solved using the techniques in this FAQ: Game_Help:Game_Problemwiki, especially this part of the FAQ: Game_Help:Finding_Problem_Custom_Contentwiki.
Test Subject
#105 Old 11th Sep 2010 at 6:16 PM
I finally installed Clean Installer and it's like heaven sent, seriously lol. It's totally awesome.
Field Researcher
#106 Old 20th Sep 2010 at 11:18 PM
I'm having a problem. When I open my Username/Downloads folder in this program (as opposed to the downloads folder in My Docs), the sims2packs do not show up. I can install packs individually by clicking on them from Windows Explorer, but when I select all the files, there is no option to multi-install. What's wrong? I am running the latest version on Windows 7 64-bit.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#107 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 1:35 AM
Opening a folder inside of the Clean Installer will only show you the packages in that folder, not Sims2Packs. To multi-install Sims2Packs, right click on the folder in Windows Explorer to bring up the context menu. Select Install All.

Here's a manual which explains the various things that the Clean Installer will do:
http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/index.php?page=4
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#108 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 2:35 AM
When I right-click on the containing folder, it only shows the standard windows options.

ETA: Should I change AutoInstallLotFiles in the config to true?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#109 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 3:06 AM
Are you running the latest version of the Clean Installer?

Is the folder a compressed folder, like a zip or rar? If so, the Clean Installer doesn't know how to handle that yet.

Have you rebooted since installing the Clean Installer? If not, try that.

Otherwise, there must be a difference in installing between Windows XP and Windows 7. If so, I'll have to do some research to determine how to get multi-install working on Windows 7.

There may be a way to do this by specifying the directory as a parameter to the clean installer. Let me see whether you can do this with the current version.

AutoInstallLotFiles is a somewhat risky option, since the Clean Installer will install everything in the Sims2Pack without giving you an opportunity to remove hacks and unwanted CC. In general, I wouldn't recommend it unless you are certain about the contents of those folders.
Field Researcher
#110 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 3:09 AM
It's an uncompressed folder, and yes, I have rebooted.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#111 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 3:19 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 22nd Sep 2010 at 4:51 PM. Reason: Fix typo
I'm afraid that we cross-posted. You might want to re-read my last post.

At this point, you only have two options:
1) Install each Sims2Pack individually
2) Use the -f parameter in a command prompt. In my previous example, I would type:
"\Program Files\Sims2Pack Clean Installer\Sims2Pack Clean Installer.exe" -f "G:\TS2LotsWeb\AussieTopenders"
Sockpuppet
#112 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 9:56 PM Last edited by Kabuto : 22nd Sep 2010 at 12:49 AM.
@Mootilda

It seems the x64 shell is a little bit different than 32-bit.

I confirm there is no new entry in the context menu, I've got Windows 7 64-bit too.

With 7-zip (32-bit), the 7-zip submenu in the context menu didn't show, so I think it's the same problem with Sims2Pack Clean Installer (32-bit).

I looked at my registry, I saw Folder\ContextMenuHandlers subkeys are ignored.
7-zip (64-bit) use Directory\ContextMenuHandlers like Microsoft Security Essentials (64-bit) and Mp3Tag (32-bit). S2PCI subkey don't work there too.

EDIT:

In fact, Windows Explorer 64-bit requires 64-bit Shell DLL .

Note: Mp3tag is a 32-bit application but it provides both Mp3tagShell32.dll and Mp3tagShell64.dll .
Field Researcher
#113 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 12:34 AM
That's odd- I use 7zip and its entry always shows up in the context menu. Do I need this 64-bit Shell DLL to run the S2PCI properly, and if so, where can I get it?
Sockpuppet
#114 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 12:39 AM
It doesn't exist that's why there is no entry in the context menu.

Just Mootilda did the 32-bit shell DLL.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#115 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 4:48 PM
Thanks for the information, Kabuto.

Because of HugeLunatic's request to make the Clean Installer more Mac-compatible, I may approach this problem in a different way: allowing people to open individual Sim2Pack, zip and rar files, as well as directories, from a menu instead. If I make the directory process (and thus the installation process) optional, it should work on more systems and will be more future-compatible.

It's always amazed me that the Clean Installer has basically continued to function without support for so long. Very few of the other TS2 utility programs can boast about that feat.

Quote: Originally posted by potatoehead
Do I need this 64-bit Shell DLL to run the S2PCI properly?
No. We are discussing why the Clean Installer has less functionality on 64-bit. If you don't have 64-bit, the Clean Installer will work better for you.
Sockpuppet
#116 Old 22nd Sep 2010 at 6:11 PM
... If you have 64-bit, the Clean Installer will work well too (Just the context feature won't be available).
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#117 Old 27th Sep 2010 at 8:00 AM
Brilliant program, real time-saver. Thanks so much for your efforts mootilda ^_^
Test Subject
#118 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 3:40 AM
Default what am I doing wrong?
ok, so when I went to DL the new version of this program, an error message came up saying that I already had an older version installed-which I did. it asked if I wanted to uninstall it, so I did, and now that I don't have the program at all on here, it STILL won't let me DL the newer version, and continues to come up with the same error message as before. I've checked to make sure all of the program was uninstalled, and it is, so I have NO idea what to do, and I've got tons of new files I can't add now because I don't have the program. what do I do?

Site Helper
Original Poster
#119 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 6:12 AM
Test Subject
#120 Old 25th Oct 2010 at 9:54 PM
thank you! it took some time, but i FINALLY got the new version installed! sooo happy now!!
Test Subject
#121 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 9:29 PM
What does it mean by:
empty package
highlight red
highlight pink
unknown type
Site Helper
Original Poster
#122 Old 3rd Nov 2010 at 11:50 PM
As mentioned in the first post, there is a manual and a quick start guide available. Packages which are highlighted in red and pink are explained there:
http://sims2pack.modthesims2.com/

Empty packages are just what they sound like: packages which have nothing in them. Since there is nothing inside of the package, it should be perfectly safe to disable or remove it. If you want to be sure, try opening the package in SimPE. In the unlikely situation where you find a package which contains something, but which is marked as an empty package by the Clean Installer, please post a link here and I will try to determine what's happening.

Unknown types are just what they sound like: packages which contain something, but the Clean Installer is unable to determine what it is. If you find something which is an unknown type, you can post a link to the package and a description of what's in the package. I will take a look to see whether I can find an algorithm which will allow the Clean Installer to identify this type of package in the future.
Test Subject
#123 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 1:26 AM
Alright thanks. So just to be sure it's okay to delete the pink files since they're duplicates? Just curious but what causes an empty package?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#124 Old 4th Nov 2010 at 2:28 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 4th Nov 2010 at 3:06 AM.
You should not remove all of the pink files, since you need to retain one copy of each CC.

There was a bug in earlier versions of the Clean Installer which could produce empty packages if you saved a Sims2Pack on top of itself; this problem was corrected in the latest version. There may be other programs with other bugs which cause the same problem.
Scholar
THANKS POST
#125 Old 6th Nov 2010 at 8:12 PM
I have been making a lot of floors and using Homecrafter to bring them into the game. It is so nice to be able to pull up my floors in Clean Installer and rename them so quickly and easily. Thanks for adding this functionality to the program!
Page 5 of 26