Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 1:37 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Help getting new graphics card recognised
I just did a fresh re-install of TS3 and am having issues getting the game to recognise my graphics card successfully.
Before re-installing I had TS3 running fine on my current system and hardware, i.e. I had gotten the game to recognise my GPU without any problems - silly me didn't save the updated files though, and I don't know what I'm doing differently this time around.
I followed the steps from the Wiki page Game Help:Getting new graphics cards recognized by the game but got a little confused because of the naming method used by ATI and that none of the 'R9' series are listed in the GraphicsCards.sgr

This is the original DeviceConfig.log, first issue is the GPU memory rating, second issue (although maybe a non-issue) is it reports the wrong operating system. Also my game version is 1.67.

This is the edit I made to the GraphicsCards.sgr file. I think the HD 7900 is the highest rated on the list, although still not as good as my current card.

Edits made to the GraphicsRules.sgr file

With those changes made, when I clear the cache files and run the game, this is the new DeviceConfig.log I get. The card is recognised but I get awful shadows in game that are jagged and flicker - a common issue with older AMD drivers, despite having the current drivers installed. Also the GPU memory rating is still wrong.

And after checking what the default settings look like with my card recognised, they seem pretty low.

What am I fudging up? I've tried multiple times over several days and just end up scratching my head, so this post is my last resort, any help would be greatly appreciated
Screenshots
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 4:40 PM
Thank you! That fixed the GPU memory rating and the texture memory, but I still have an issue with blobby and flickering shadows (that I didn't have before doing the re-install).
Here's an example vid. Areas to look at are underneath his face, around the neck, the collar of his shirt, the bottom of his shirt, shadow of the pants on the knees.
You might have to view it in full screen to see the problem.

Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 5:33 PM
I did use the dynamic shadows before and didn't have any issues. I also just tested without any lighting mods installed and clean cache files and the problem persists.
Instructor
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jun 2016 at 5:58 PM Last edited by alverdine : 27th Jun 2016 at 6:16 PM.
I see the issue in the first vid (most noticeably at around 3:15 when she's sitting outside the diner), but just to prove it's not caused by the dynamic shadows mod, here's a video of my game with nothing in the mods folder except a 'nointro' mod and clean cache files.

I tried to highlight some areas to focus on with by circling with my mouse. Again it probably needs to be watched in full screen, end even then it's not as obvious as it is in-game because of the vidjo quality.

ETA: I'm going to bed now so I won't reply for a while (it's actually 3am, boo!), but I appreciate your help with this.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jun 2016 at 11:11 PM
I'm inclined to agree with you actually. I think it's very possible it's always been this way and I only noticed it now while so focused on graphics settings and getting the GPU recognised. I posted the vids on Tumblr and had a mixed reaction from people - some saying they thought it was normal or they couldn't see an issue, and a few who said that it was abnormal and their game didn't look like that. So I dunno, maybe they just never noticed it either.

Anyway, thanks for your help with getting the memory recognised!
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jun 2016 at 10:33 AM
Thanks for doing the testing.
It's a shame the shadows are so bad outdoors... or maybe it's just a shame that I finally noticed because now it can't be unseen
Test Subject
#12 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 2:54 AM
I'm having a similar problem in that my game will not recognize the graphics card on my new computer. I tried following the steps from that Wiki page too, but I definitely need guidance on what strings to add where. Here is my graphics device info:

Number: 0
Name (driver): AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics
Name (database): AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
Vendor: ATI
Chipset: Vendor: 1002, Device: 9851, Board: 226a103c, Chipset: 0000

I'd appreciate it if someone would help me. And please let me know if you need any more information. Thanks
Test Subject
#14 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Follow the link I posted above.

I'm sorry, but I did look at that link and still don't know what line to replace with what for my graphics card, because nothing is too similar to it. Would you mind helping me out?
Test Subject
#16 Old 13th Aug 2016 at 9:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
1) Go to your game directory: (eg: something like --> C:\program files\electronic arts\the sims 3\game\bin\)
2) Find a file called graphicscards.sgr and open it with notepad
3) Find this line:

change it to:

4) Now "save" and close the notepad.

---

Check your deviceconfig to confirm and make sure the texture memory is correct.

Thank you! I really appreciate your help