Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 4:14 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Resource.cfg is crashing the game every time I launch it
I have gone through every single link this site has given me, links I've found elsewhere, and links from friends. I know for a fact the resource.cfg file is what's causing the crash because everything works fine without it. All I have are a few Nraas mods installed. Before you ask, I've checked that site to see if there was anything I could do to fix the resource.cfg file. I do have it in the Mods folder along side the Packages folder. Everything is in the correct place. I do have Origin installed, so I don't know if that changes anything. Can anyone please give me some extra help with this?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 4:44 PM
If you remove Resource.cfg and your game doesn't crash, I'm afraid that doesn't mean Resource.cfg was causing it. Without Resource.cfg, your package files are ignored so you have no mods or package based content loading up at all. I think the more likely cause would be a mod or a bad combination of something in your Packages subfolder.

But let's start here. There are two known combinations of NRaas mods that will cause the game to crash on startup every time. One is having the MasterController Progression add-on module in place without both the MasterController and StoryProgression base mods. The module acts as a bridge between the two base mods and should not be there if either one is missing.

The other is having a mod that controls EA store premium content without the content in place. Such as, for example, NRaas Cupcake without the Bakery set or Shooless Uber Toilet without the Uber Toilet item.

Either of these possible?

Crashes can also be caused by mod versions not intended for your game's patch level or mismatched mod and add-on module versions, such as a new version of MasterController base with an older version of MasterController Cheats not meant to work together. Or a package file that was really intended for TS2 or TS4 somehow ending up in there.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 5:22 PM
I've double checked my downloads and I have all the compliments downloaded together. I have the most up to date versions of the mods downloaded. Perhaps some of them are too up to date to be used with the game?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 5:59 PM
What patch level is your game on?

If you could, please provide three screenshots in Detail View, showing as much of the contents of each as possible: Your TS3 game folder, Mods folder, and Packages folder. Let's see if anything stands out or looks odd there.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 6:46 PM
My game is 1.69.43.024017

If needed, I'll post more screenshots of the rest of the mods I have.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 7:12 PM
1 - I didn't see an answer to this question yet. What patch level is your game on?

2 - Take the file called PassportData.package out of Mods. It is not a mod file and does not belong there. I can't see it if it's off the screen, but if you have one called ChallengeData.package in Mods, do the same. Delete the file called ScriptCache.package from your game folder, and try to start up.

3 - If that doesn't work, take out the NRaas Cupcake mod, delete the file called scriptCache.package from your game folder, and try to start up. If it loads without crashing, that probably means you do not have the Bakery Set installed.

4 - If that's not it, remove everything from Packages except for one mod, let's say MasterController base but nothing else, delete the scriptCache.package file and try again.

Edit: Sorry, you're on patch 1.69. I need to go clean my eyeglasses (pardon me).
Mad Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 8:15 PM
Must be irrelevant, but I haven't seen an Overrides folder in the OP's Mods folder.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Site Helper
#8 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 8:35 PM
If you have an extremely old version of the Framework, the resource.cfg has changed. And if you don't have an Overrides folder (although there is virtually nothing that belongs in there) you may have the extremely old Framework.

I'm fighting medication side effects and a connection that keeps dropping because it's 100 degrees and humid enough to carve chunks out of the air. (Ok, that's a bit of an exaggeration. Not much, but a bit. ) Otherwise I would track down the link for the MTS prebuilt framework in Help: GameHelp- TS3 Basics: Installing Package files and suggest that you might want to swap out the Framework you are using for that one.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 9:09 PM
I removed the Passport.package file and checked on the framework. After doing that, the game started running fine. Thank you all for the help. It's much appreciated.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 10:24 PM
FYI, PassportData.package does serve a purpose. It holds data related to simporting. But it belongs in an enclosing folder typically named with a bunch of goofy hex codes and numbers in TS3\Downloads, not in TS3\Mods\Packages. Makes sense that if the game tried to read that one as if it were a mod file, since it is in the same file format as a mod would be, that the game would crash. Not really recommending that anyone try this, though.

I'm going to guess that you found it in Downloads one day, which is where it lands automatically, and moved it to Mods thinking it must have been misplaced.

Glad you got that sorted out.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 10th Aug 2016 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Must be irrelevant, but I haven't seen an Overrides folder in the OP's Mods folder.

The Mod Framework is on This Page Here at MTS

Nothing should be in the Overrides Folder unless a Developer/Mod Creator instructs to put a file in there. For example, Arsil' Cooler Mod has three files and one needs to go in Overrides.