Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 1:04 AM
Default Questions for All You Furniture Creators (in the real-world)
I've recently gotten it into my head that I really want to make a big dining room table (I hate the dining set I have now- ugly circular farm table and chairs that have been beat to hell and back- I feel like I'm going to break them every time I use them). Trouble is, I've only refinished and made some alterations to furniture in the past. They've all gone fairly well, and I've almost always enjoyed the work, but I feel like I'm left with a pretty big gap when it comes to knowing how to start furniture from scratch. Ideally, I want a long narrow trestle table (seating 8 people or so), but I don't even really know where to begin- premade plans? make plans myself? places to find furniture-quality lumber without spending too much? Help?

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 7:25 PM
Personally, I would look at premade plans first. That way, you could get an idea of the dimensions you'd need for eight people, how the table would fit together, and if you need or want to make alterations to fit your dining room.

For furniture-quality lumber in your area, try www.woodfinder.com
I think that's where my grandmother found her sources for lumber.
Theorist
#3 Old 28th Jan 2015 at 7:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I've recently gotten it into my head that I really want to make a big dining room table (I hate the dining set I have now- ugly circular farm table and chairs that have been beat to hell and back- I feel like I'm going to break them every time I use them). Trouble is, I've only refinished and made some alterations to furniture in the past. They've all gone fairly well, and I've almost always enjoyed the work, but I feel like I'm left with a pretty big gap when it comes to knowing how to start furniture from scratch. Ideally, I want a long narrow trestle table (seating 8 people or so), but I don't even really know where to begin- premade plans? make plans myself? places to find furniture-quality lumber without spending too much? Help?

You can try here

The plans seem relatively easy to follow and usually there are comments for wood recommendations along with alterations.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 7:30 PM
http://ana-white.com/2012/11/plans/...farmhouse-table

Perfect! That site was definitely a help- I'll have to remember it for other types of furniture too! This is almost exactly like one of the styles I've liked, and it looks like something I'd be able to handle without too much trouble!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Theorist
#5 Old 29th Jan 2015 at 8:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
http://ana-white.com/2012/11/plans/...farmhouse-table

Perfect! That site was definitely a help- I'll have to remember it for other types of furniture too! This is almost exactly like one of the styles I've liked, and it looks like something I'd be able to handle without too much trouble!

Awesome! Glad I could help.