Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 9:10 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default FPS limiting on high-end GPU causing me to be unable to log into my TS3 profile/simport
PROCESSOR: i7-6700HW @ 2.60GHz
RAM: 16gb
GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX™ 960M

This laptop: http://store.asus.com/us/item/201510AM170008067/A18486

Anyway, I had issues started The Sims 3 when I first got this laptop a month ago. I used a thread here about adding the graphics card (using this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post4782510 ) and for the last month or so it was good. I just recently read something about high end cards burning out from TS3 being unable to limit FPS. Naturally this worries me. I can't afford to replace this if it dies out that quickly from a game, so I looked into FPS limiting.

Whether I use Nvidia Inspector or the MATY FPS Limiter/3Booter, I have the issue at the start of the game, where you pick your save file, of the game refusing to log me into my TS3 account. I've "unblocked" the files from MATY (some have a Windows security feature that 'blocks' them from access as they're a third party program), unblocked Nvidia Inspector and still, cannot log into my TS3 account. The error I get is "The connection to the server has been lost". It's not my internet.

This isn't entirely game breaking but I like my TS3 achievements but I don't want to sacrifice having extremely high FPS (I'm talking 170+ fps) for achievements.I've tried disabling FPS limiting and was able to log in (both disabling FPS limiting in Nvidia Inspector, and removing the MATY files - I'm not using both at the same time, obviously) so it's something to do with FPS limiting that's stopping me from logging in.

Anyone else have this problem and know of a work around/fix? Thanks.

Ҩ "miserére mei, deus: secúndum magnam misericordiam tuam."
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 9:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Nvidia Inspector is not a "3rd party" software persay. It modifies your existing Nvidia profile, the same one you modify in the Nvidia Control Panel. Fact is, after you set the FPS to 60 in the inspector and saved it, you do not need to run inspector again. So this has nothing to do with your internet problem.

I know what it does. I'm not in the habit of installing strange software to my computer ;D It's the only thing that changed and causes this problem. I just tried my game on a friend's wifi (they live next door). Disabling the profile in Nvidia Inspector = I can log in fine, enabling it again, and I have an issue.

Instructor
#5 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 11:54 AM
I think the problem is base on compatibility problem with FPS Limiter vs dual switchable gpus and vs Win 10 (or even Win 7), your laptop does have dual switchable gpus, Intel HD 530 from your i7 processor and your GTX960M

I also have dual switchable laptop but much lower spec than you have, I have i7 3632QM with Intel HD 4000 and GT610M with Win 10 x64 Home, the problem with mine, if I run Win 7 as my OS, the FPS Limiter (both versions including MATY FPS Limiter w/ 3Booter) won't work for TS3, but fortunately Nvidia Inspector works just fine with Win7 as my OS

But when I run Win 10 as my OS in my laptop, all the FPS Limiter version including Nvidia Inspector works just fine, no problem at all, but the problem I have in Win 10 is with ROG RAMDisk software, in Win 7 my TS3 don't have any problem with ROG RAMDisk when I put some of the TS3 files to RAMDisk, in Win 10 the ROG RAMDisk also run as normal for any other apps or game, but somehow TS3 can't access its files I put in RAMDisk, the screen just blank and freeze just after I launched the game, it's like TS3 doesn't know where its Documents folder went to..

I'm sorry I don't have any answer how to solved your case at this time, but I think your case have the similarity with my case, I'm still trying to find what cause TS3 can't access its Documents folder in RAMDisk in Win 10, maybe if I can figure it out why then I might have the answer how to solved your TS3 can't access your TS3 account with FPS limiter installed..

Note: I'm currently trying to find some solution with WinADK to run the Compatibility Administrator see if I can find a way to solve it, if you want to try it as well, you can download it here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/wi...1.aspx#adkwin10
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 3:20 PM
To tell you the truth, the more I think about this issue, the more I think there are a lot of missing pieces and too much assumptions.

I cannot for the life of me seriously come up with anything solid on why limiting the FPS would actually have any affect on your internet or TS3. Limiting the FPS is simply capping the performance of the GPU, which has absolutely nothing to do with the internet. It makes your GPU run slower, lesser, cooler, etc...

1) It can be a conflict between the GPU and the wireless/network, either driver side or hardware side. But it just seems so unlikely.
2) Inspector caps the FPS through the profile, basically capping it internally within the Nvidia driver (I assume). Likewise I assume MATY's is a 3rd party FPS limiter, which caps it outside the driver. Because I assumed this, then it leads me to conclude it was the GPU itself or the system conflict in capping the FPS. However, I could be wrong about them being different. In that case, try a 3rd FPS limiter - MSI Afterburner
3) Perhaps you can elaborate more. Does limiting the FPS only prevent you from loggin' into TS3 server from the game? Or does it completely block your internet access altogether?

Sorry for the confusion, I didn't want to overload with information and get in trouble. Replying in bulletpoints since a few questions were asked:

- my internet is not interrupted when this happens, TS3 itself refuses to let me log in and so I cannot access shop mode, simport, Sims3 profile to post (or get achievements)
- the 'login' button on the main menu lets me log in when I disable FPS limiting
- GPU and wireless/ethernet drivers are updated
- yes it's a dual GPU laptop, I (hope) I specified my graphics card properly in the file that explains how to add high end cards to the game
- only other issue I have is playing fullscreen results in a crash after five minutes, and playing any resolution that's over 1600x900 creates a black screen and I'm unable to change any settings (can screenshot that later), so yes I might've not added my GPU correctly

Posting both a DeviceConfig as well as DXDiag, and a screenshot of my Nvidia Inspector profile for TS3, because sleep pills are about to kick in and I want to get as much info out there as possible before I fall asleep. Sorry for shoddy typing. I can provide a screen shot of my FPS limiter setting and what happens in game as well.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  toybirds.rar (94.4 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Description: DXDiag, DeviceConfig.log (as .TXT) and a screenshot of my Nvidia Inspector settings for TS3 where I changed the FPS from "off" to 60.

Instructor
#8 Old 2nd Aug 2016 at 7:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by toybirds
- only other issue I have is playing fullscreen results in a crash after five minutes, and playing any resolution that's over 1600x900 creates a black screen and I'm unable to change any settings (can screenshot that later), so yes I might've not added my GPU correctly

From your DeviceConfig I see TS3 doesn't recognized your GTX960M, maybe this that caused the trouble you're having, but first you also need to check if your Win 10 recognized both of your Intel HD 530 and GTX960M, because in order for your GTX960M to work, both needs to have the proper drivers for Win 10 to recognized them.

To check if Win 10 recognized them;

1. Right click on your Win 10 Start Menu and click Device Manager to open it
2. In Device Manager menu, go to Display Adapters and open it
3. If it's stated "Intel HD 530" for your Intel and "Nvidia Geforce GTX960M" for your Nvidia then both drivers are properly installed.
4. But if it's only stated "Intel HD" for your Intel, that usually means you don't have proper driver installed for your Intel HD 530, this will cause your secondary gpu GTX960M won't run (especially for TS3), even if you have installed the latest Nvidia driver.
5. If that is the case, then you need to download and install the proper driver for your Intel, restart it and then follow by reinstalling your GTX960M driver.
6. Please note, you may need to install Net3FX for Win 10 first to install both drivers, if that is the case, go to this thread http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...822#post4948822 post #19

Here's the link to download for your Intel HD 530 driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pr...Core-Processors

And here's for your Nvidia http://www.geforce.com/hardware/not.../specifications (click the Drivers tab to open download menu)

When all of the above don't have any problem or done installing, now you need to get your GTX960M recognized by TS3;

1. Copy and backup your GraphicCards.sgr and GraphicRules.sgr files from C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\ElectronicArts\TheSims3\Game\Bin directory to somewhere
2. Open GraphicCards.sgr with notepad and edit it
3. Find this in the Nvidia's section: card 0x0fe0 "GeForce GTX 660M"
4. Replace the last 4 digits of 0x0fe0 with your device ID which is 139b --> 0x139b --> card 0x139b "GeForce GTX 660M", and then close to save it.
5. Now go to your TS3 documents folder and remove your DeviceConfig and Option.ini to somewhere else, TS3 will regenerate the new ones after you launch the game
6. Now launch the game, set your graphic preference at the TS3 main menu and then exit when you done, don't start to play it just yet.
7. Go and open your new DeviceConfig, if you don't find the "32MB override" then everything is ok and you're good to go, but if not then you'll need to edit the GraphicRules.sgr as well
8. Set up your FPS Limiter or Nvidia Inspector, run your TS3, and then try to login to your TS3 account from TS3 main menu

Hopefully it works for you, if not.., then it's likely because of compatibility problem like the one I have..
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 12:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
From your DeviceConfig I see TS3 doesn't recognized your GTX960M, maybe this that caused the trouble you're having, but first you also need to check if your Win 10 recognized both of your Intel HD 530 and GTX960M, because in order for your GTX960M to work, both needs to have the proper drivers for Win 10 to recognized them.

To check if Win 10 recognized them;

1. Right click on your Win 10 Start Menu and click Device Manager to open it
2. In Device Manager menu, go to Display Adapters and open it
3. If it's stated "Intel HD 530" for your Intel and "Nvidia Geforce GTX960M" for your Nvidia then both drivers are properly installed.
4. But if it's only stated "Intel HD" for your Intel, that usually means you don't have proper driver installed for your Intel HD 530, this will cause your secondary gpu GTX960M won't run (especially for TS3), even if you have installed the latest Nvidia driver.
5. If that is the case, then you need to download and install the proper driver for your Intel, restart it and then follow by reinstalling your GTX960M driver.
6. Please note, you may need to install Net3FX for Win 10 first to install both drivers, if that is the case, go to this thread http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...822#post4948822 post #19

Here's the link to download for your Intel HD 530 driver https://downloadcenter.intel.com/pr...Core-Processors

And here's for your Nvidia http://www.geforce.com/hardware/not.../specifications (click the Drivers tab to open download menu)

When all of the above don't have any problem or done installing, now you need to get your GTX960M recognized by TS3;

1. Copy and backup your GraphicCards.sgr and GraphicRules.sgr files from C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\ElectronicArts\TheSims3\Game\Bin directory to somewhere
2. Open GraphicCards.sgr with notepad and edit it
3. Find this in the Nvidia's section: card 0x0fe0 "GeForce GTX 660M"
4. Replace the last 4 digits of 0x0fe0 with your device ID which is 139b --> 0x139b --> card 0x139b "GeForce GTX 660M", and then close to save it.
5. Now go to your TS3 documents folder and remove your DeviceConfig and Option.ini to somewhere else, TS3 will regenerate the new ones after you launch the game
6. Now launch the game, set your graphic preference at the TS3 main menu and then exit when you done, don't start to play it just yet.
7. Go and open your new DeviceConfig, if you don't find the "32MB override" then everything is ok and you're good to go, but if not then you'll need to edit the GraphicRules.sgr as well
8. Set up your FPS Limiter or Nvidia Inspector, run your TS3, and then try to login to your TS3 account from TS3 main menu

Hopefully it works for you, if not.., then it's likely because of compatibility problem like the one I have..

Both drivers are installed, it's one of the first things I checked. I've been building computers for fifteen years and yet somehow, this whole thing stumps me immensely. I'm going to re-do adding the card to get it recognised though.

ETA: Did the GraphicCards.sgr bit, and got the "your graphics card is not recognised" pop up, as well, DeviceConfig has "Texture memory: 32MB <<OVERRIDE>>".

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Aug 2016 at 1:02 AM
Just curious, did you get a chance to try that 3rd FPS limiter? The MSI Afterburner?

Also, have you tried running the game with your Intel HD and FPS limiter on? To see if it also causes the problem?

This will let us isolate whether the problem is TS3 or your GPU

I'm still running the game using Nvidia Inspector and the FPS limiting setting there. So far the account seems to be logging me in, but seeing other threads related to mine, I can see where my GPU is not being recognised properly.