Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 1:13 AM
Default New Patch (!) on November 12th
So I just saw a post over at SimsCommunity mentioning that a new TS3 Update will be available tomorrow including a new "Expansion and Stuff Pack Manager"

Link: http://simscommunity.info/2015/11/1...w-new-launcher/

That was unexpected

Check my tumblr:
http://eliasctifler.tumblr.com/
:)
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 1:20 AM
Now if they improve performance with their crap launcher.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 1:21 AM
It annoys one that they (EA) give no detailed patch notes outside of the pack manager, which is rather useless for this one seeing as one doesn't use the launcher.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Mad Poster
#4 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 1:22 AM
As always, don't install it until you are completely sure it won't mess up your game and your mods.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 2:00 AM
I get the impression that it is an Origin update, which is all well and good but I don't play TS3 via Origin and do not want too. So I'm hoping it won't try to take over if it does come down with the usual Origin update. An Any Game Starter is a good idea though, wonder how they thought of that!!
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 2:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
As always, don't install it until you are completely sure it won't mess up your game and your mods.

That leads naturally to a question: is there a way to be sure -- or even to estimate -- the likelihood of trouble, other than by installing it?

(I only know of one way: wait for someone else to try it and report their experience. I feel kind of selfish when I take that approach! But I do believe and hope that these early reporters are people whose strong technical skills reduce their risk -- people who know confidently which folders need backing-up, and so forth.)
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 2:38 AM
So let me get this right all this update is doing is to allow you to play which sims 3., expansion you want so will this not affect your saved game.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 2:40 AM
Honestly, I'm more shocked that EA is choosing to even update Sims 3 now. Obviously, they're still supporting the game, but I wasn't expecting any new major developments until The Sims 3: Ultimate Collection.

-sbugg
(If you're curious on how to pronounce my screen name, I pronounce it "ess-bug".)
Obsessed with the lives of virtual people who run to scream at fires since 2012.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 2:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dailycard
So let me get this right all this update is doing is to allow you to play which sims 3., expansion you want so will this not affect your saved game.

It'll effect everything. Save games, mods, lots. Everything. Disable a pack from loading and everything that relies on it will no longer function correctly.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Scholar
#10 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by r_deNoube
That leads naturally to a question: is there a way to be sure -- or even to estimate -- the likelihood of trouble, other than by installing it?

(I only know of one way: wait for someone else to try it and report their experience. I feel kind of selfish when I take that approach! But I do believe and hope that these early reporters are people whose strong technical skills reduce their risk -- people who know confidently which folders need backing-up, and so forth.)

Aha! I can do that myself - I have an identical Sims 3 installation on my other laptop, so I can test it out. If it messes that up there's no loss, I can just re-install,

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
#12 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 3:56 AM
But if I use RalphaelNinja's SimGameSelector, I don't need the launcher. I'd rather not have the launcher.
Theorist
#13 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 3:57 AM
Has this maybe something to do with the recent TS3 activity on/by Origin? I first had a dozen icons in my library of several EP's and SP's of TS3, because I couldn't register the original BG and one EP (WA) I already have had on disc and have installed on my pc, while buying these packs at a later date via Origin. Probably due to once registered on an old account about five years ago. Since very recently I've got an auto registrated version of the BG at my TS3 account and turned the old EP/SP icons into one general TS3 BG icon in Origin.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
#14 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 4:17 AM
I saw this and had some hope that EA recognized Sims 3 as still having the ability to be milked as a cash cow, but i think what they're trying to do is get people to use the launcher, so they can advertise the Sims 4.

There's an application out there that works quite well. I see no reason to do this.
Theorist
#15 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 4:20 AM
The Sims 3 Store is still open and all the packs + BG are still buyable via Origin. I would guess that they still make money out of it.

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 4:33 AM
Trying to wrap my mind around this.....
I've always used the Sims 3 Launcher, but it will be a cold day in hell when I patch Sims 3 again. Just the thought of it makes me want to start crying.
I can't don't believe they're trying to help Sims 3 players or even care about Sims 3 at all. They didn't care back when the game was still being developed for, so why would they start now?
dodgy builder
#18 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 7:00 AM
I can't help but thinking thei're sneaking in some discontinuation flop ware. They want people to start using ts4. I would have loved it if the instead started making stuff and do repairs so the game though.

I have to do something to this spellcheck thing on my phone. It makes so many strange decitions.
Instructor
#19 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 8:19 AM
I don't care if it's just a launcher update. The thought of EA patching TS3 anymore makes my blood run cold.

A fool and his money are soon parted. ~ Thomas Tusser
Icy Spicy
#20 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 9:07 AM
Nope.Not interested.It just seems like a ploy to make everybody switch to origin. .And Any Game Starter is good enough for me
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 9:40 AM
Call me silly but if I don't want a expansion pack install, l will not install it simple. So why install software which have no benefits. (^_-)
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#22 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 9:56 AM
This feature will only be useful for new games. If you try to load an existing save with now some EPs disabled you will likely break that game. Without much chance to fix it again afterwards. If at all.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 10:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
This feature will only be useful for new games. If you try to load an existing save with now some EPs disabled you will likely break that game. Without much chance to fix it again afterwards. If at all.
I am going to keep my game the way it is, I like my sims and all the things I done to and all my CC
Scholar
#24 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 11:57 AM
obviously it's a nice try to lure customers right into Origin void Which is understable, because Origin gives the company significant control over user, with some Win10 ideas it may be deadly connection (and honestly: Steam is no better in these matters).

Updated drivers would be nice, however leaving hardcopy users behind (if such update is true) seems to be not exactly fair. And nobody really knows what become mess as generous addition within such generous gesture. Because, guys, when EA does something - what possibly could go wrong, right?

However - if they would make giveaway (Story is a company milk cow anyway, and according to theirs strategy I suppouse the next generation of "any game" might rise as "free of charge" sceleton, the real content will be placed in Store) - like they did with Sims2, I'd certainly buy even Sims4 or maybe any "any other game".

Silly me -.-

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Mad Poster
#25 Old 12th Nov 2015 at 3:40 PM

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Page 1 of 6