Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd May 2016 at 2:40 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 23rd May 2016 at 2:52 AM.
Default NPC UNI Student mechanics?
Please, feel free to edit my lame title, add bacon etc..if you see fit.

I am using notowineregen, and would like to know how many uni students the game will create for me, when I'll move my sims into a dorm.
I am playing with empty templates as well, so forget about Academie LeTour and the likes, they don't exists in my game.

My main hood is new and I just created a campus hood for it.
The UNI Hood will be empty of sims, until I move mine in.
The appartement-like building I will move my sims into has 4 units. If I move both my sims in, there will be 2 units left. I can expect 2 NPC students right?
But will the game also create more..just to visit my lot?
It's been too long since I played UNI, but recall other students visiting the lot. Students I had not created.
(Forget also about cow mascot, cheerleaders Profs and streakers, I'm not interested by them, and I am aware they will be created)

I also just built little rental properties, but the game won't take them into consideration and move NPC's in..this isn't sims 3.
So...should I expect more than 2 NPC students you think?
To have more choices, I thought about placing a second building, and moving one playable in each of them...then 6 Students would be created.
Is this how it works?

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 23rd May 2016 at 2:47 AM
As far as I know the game will produce one uni student for every dorm door.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 23rd May 2016 at 2:48 AM
If you're suppressing townies strictly enough (but I think you need nodormieregen for this) it won't create any dormies at all, only NPCs - professors, cow and llama mascots, barista if there's a coffee stand, dorm cook, cheerleaders, coaches, streaker, cashiers for any businesses that have more registers than the number of cashiers already generated for your main hood. All the professors will be generated, but you'll only get one each of the others unless you place multiple NPC generators on the lot.

When I was developing LGU, I at one point had all the dorms occupied, and the last dorm never filled all its rooms, using up the last of the dormies I'd created and not generating any more.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd May 2016 at 2:51 AM
Ok. I don't have nodormieregen, so game should create one per door, just as Jo said.
Thank you both.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 23rd May 2016 at 1:24 PM Last edited by maxon : 23rd May 2016 at 1:53 PM.
No, the game will create 50 students when you create the hood - that's without empty templates. No dormieregen just suppresses the creation of new dormies.

What people generally do is have empty templates (so no students made on university sub-hood creation) then use nodormieregen to stop any generating as you play. That means with both in place, you don't get ANY students that aren't your own. The doors don't prompt the game to generate students, just acts to call them up. With nodormieregen, if you have no townie/dormie students in the neighbourhood, when the game makes the call, no-one comes.

If you want dormies, you can either do this and create your own (what I did with Little Carping) or use not-empty templates. If you don't want the standard EAxis templates (students are always made from the same template and if you add a second university, the game will add a further 50 students built on the same templates (so two or more sims with same appearance but different names)) you can try and find a custom set. I'm not sure there is one available but I might well be wrong about that since I don't play other people's hoods as a rule and don't keep up with what's available.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 23rd May 2016 at 1:38 PM
Brainiana made me about 8 dormies. No way do I have 50.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#7 Old 23rd May 2016 at 1:45 PM Last edited by maxon : 23rd May 2016 at 2:05 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Brainiana made me about 8 dormies. No way do I have 50.

Probably because it comes with that many - or it comes empty and your game generated 8 because you don't have nodormieregen - in that case, the doors call up students and because there is nothing there to prevent students being made, the algorithm for creating students is activated. What Pescado did with the noregen mods is set them to prevent the game making NPCs of various stripes unless the game needs one - the dormie door call is, effectively, the game needing something and, in many NPC cases, Pes's mod allows the NPC to be made if there isn't one available. In the case of townies and dormies, the mods simply stop the call up without making an NPC because this does not prevent the game functioning correctly (as preventing the appearance of a nanny or maid would).

Also, Brainania is a custom campus - what I'm describing is what happens with an EAxis standard neighbourhood. I have done the numbers count a good number of times, the game adds 50 students (with a standard EAxis university (AFAIK anyway) or empty map to make your own) when you create the sub-hood provided you don't have empty templates and nodormieregen.

I also refer you to what Moo has to say here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...00&postcount=30

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 23rd May 2016 at 2:07 PM
I don't have 50 either; since I fill up dorms with my own playables - all I see around campus are secret society members, using nodormieregen, as well as the maxi playable students.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 23rd May 2016 at 2:31 PM
Yes it came empty and the game did a slight pause as each one got made. It also made the NPC's. I could be wrong but I don't think Rosebine is playing the EA made Universities though. I know the game uni's come with heaps of dormies.

~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd May 2016 at 4:17 PM Last edited by maxon : 23rd May 2016 at 4:40 PM.
They come with the same dormies (well, maybe not all the pre-mades) because the dormies are made to a stealth template which, like the Pleasantview townies, is always the same. I think though that the names are different so to be more accurate, it's more like downtownies. The game adds the same dormies to a new custom university sub-hood too (made on a new map) though not necessarily to a fan-made hood like Brainania because the nature of making neighbourhoods like that means that some settings get checked to on - such as, 'this neighbourhood has already been initiated' which tells the game that the neighbourhood has already gone through the initiation process (when it was made) - I'm not entirely certain but I'd guess it's something like that. There's something telling the game it's not a completely new sub-hood if it's not adding dormies and you don't have empty templates.

Yes, it would pause as that's the game making the sim.

Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I don't have 50 either; since I fill up dorms with my own playables - all I see around campus are secret society members, using nodormieregen, as well as the maxi playable students.

Is that with the cleaned up templates? Nodormieregen will prevent students generating once the sub-hood is loaded and initiated - only empty templates will stop the template dormies appearing in your sub-hood during initiation (unless it's a custom made hood like Brainania apparently). If you don't have Pes's sshack, you will see multiple members of the secret society. The sshack will make one member of the secrety society usually from an existing dormie if there is one. It works in a similar way to the other no regen hacks in that Pes makes the game look for an already existing SS member when the game calls for one. There's a 'bug' without it in that the game will call for an SS member, on a community lot for example when your sim visits, and create a new one EVERY TIME which means they eventually proliferate all over the place. It might also be why you see new dormie students, albeit SS members, generating even with nodormieregen.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 23rd May 2016 at 4:39 PM
Ok!...so I am not playing with EA made uni hood, I had to select a sc4 terrain. i do not have nodormiregen.
How much should I expect..one per empty door, or a certain amount just because?
You guys gave good example/explainations, but either using EA templates, or using noregen...I am using none of it. Me confuse now.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#12 Old 23rd May 2016 at 4:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Ok!...so I am not playing with EA made uni hood, I had to select a sc4 terrain. i do not have nodormiregen.
How much should I expect..one per empty door, or a certain amount just because?
You guys gave good example/explainations, but either using EA templates, or using noregen...I am using none of it. Me confuse now.

With empty templates, you should have none to start with and the game will generate dormies as you go. The final number is not known I think - it's like townies in this regard. In the first instance, you should see dormies being created to occupy your dorms but you will also see, I think, new dormies created when your sims visit community lots (in order to populate them - it's from the lot population object that the call comes in this case) and also, likely, as walkbys on your home lot (that happens with townies if you don't have notownieregen). If you don't have the sshack, you will also see SS members. This is what all those hacks are for.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 23rd May 2016 at 4:52 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 23rd May 2016 at 5:23 PM.
Great! Thank you. I do have sshack I found out...didn't remember I had. And notownieregen. It is the no dormie regen I do not have.
So if I want a bit more choices..I better send my playable to comminity lots while on campus...or as I said in my first post, use 2 appartement-like dorms instead of putting both playables in just one. More UNI student would then be created.

Quote: Originally posted by maxon
and also, likely, as walkbys on your home lot (that happens with townies if you don't have notownieregen).

About this..I do have this mod, but still had a walk-by when playing my main hood...he was not a tenant or anything. He became my sim's friend, but how come HE got created?
Only thing I can think of is that he got created as a cooworker for my sim, since he has the same career...But when he walked by the first time, I had no ways to know this. I've learned this after I moved him in.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 23rd May 2016 at 6:08 PM
Not sure where he came from but it depends what he is - I guess that doesn't make much sense. I mean is he a townie, downtownie, holiday local, apartment neighbour (most likely) - what? Until we know what he's classed as, it's not possible to say why he's there.

Mad Poster
#15 Old 23rd May 2016 at 6:41 PM
If townies are suppressed enough, even NPCs who aren't interactable will walk by. I've seen the restaurant cook walk by on community lots without a restaurant during hood development. Whether they can walk by residences I'm not sure - I'm not generally looking out for walkbys when I'm playing development.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 23rd May 2016 at 7:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
Not sure where he came from but it depends what he is - I guess that doesn't make much sense. I mean is he a townie, downtownie, holiday local, apartment neighbour (most likely) - what? Until we know what he's classed as, it's not possible to say why he's there.

He walked by when i was playing my appartement lot. Like I said, he was not a tenant, I would know...All untis were taken anyway.
Just a guy passing by. I have not attached any Downtowns, so he cannot be a downtownie. I have not attached any vacation Hood..he cannot be a holiday one. he can only be a townie. Which is weird. I had my sim run to greet him, as I liked his look.
I must say, this appartement block was at that time, the ONLY lot in Town...not even one community lot, nothing. I've built a house since, so now i have TWO lots total in this Hood.
He really came from Nowhere..but it is ok, as I said it a few times already in other threads..he looks like Jesus..so I am ok with the fact that NO mods can stop HIM from being..created. lol

Mad Poster
#17 Old 23rd May 2016 at 8:16 PM
@maxon - I have to think here, I have been playing a custom uni hood and have not been into a maxis one for a while, so maybe that is why. The dormies may well be lurking somewhere, but I have not seen any, apart from the secret society bunch. That may also be due to the fact that there are no dorms in the cc hood for them to move into. There are 3 dorms, always with 6 playables each, and if I cannot replace them from my hood I make a YA in CAS.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 23rd May 2016 at 9:10 PM Last edited by maxon : 23rd May 2016 at 9:31 PM.
I must say, this appartement block was at that time, the ONLY lot in Town...not even one community lot, nothing. I've built a house since, so now i have TWO lots total in this Hood.

As Peni said, he might be an NPC. Another possibility is if you have ever called up looking for a roomate. The game makes loads of them when you place an advertisement.

Or divine providence. YMMV.

Edit: actually, the other thing about apartments is that when you move in a sim to a new apartment, the game almost immediately makes an apartment dweller to take one of the other apartments. If you play on, it will make enough residents to fill all the lots, spawning one every 15 seconds or so (it seems to be about that long). With the first, I mean literally a second or two after you agree to take an apartment for your sim. Even if you save an exit immediately, the sim still gets made. When you move in a second sim to another apartment on the same lot, this first apartment dweller is assigned to a new apartment and the game will go on filling from there. And so on with the third and fourth. Also, with a second apartment lot, the game will not use the first apartment dweller but will make a new one for each apartment lot. If you have four apartment lots in your neighbourhood, you almost certainly have four apartment dwellers too (minimum) - you should be able to see them in SimPE.

When AL was new, it wasn't possible to block the generation of these sims. There are now hacks available which will use, for example, existing townies as apartment dwellers (it always take the most recently made, btw). You don't have any you say but usually there still has to be someone to live in the other apartments so the game will get them from somewhere even if it has to generate someone. I think there is a hack now that will let the apartments remain empty (I don't have it) but that's been a fairly recent thing.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#19 Old 23rd May 2016 at 9:15 PM
I have search for roomates once on that lot. So maybe he would have been created as a potential roommate you think? Because I don't recall seeing him within the choices I had.
He cannot be an non-interactable NPC either. I had all options on sim's pie menu, just as I have with any other safe to play sims.
It would be hard now to peak in his character file to know why he exists, since I moved him in a while ago. He is now one of my playable.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#20 Old 23rd May 2016 at 9:30 PM
I have search for roomates once on that lot. So maybe he would have been created as a potential roommate you think? Because I don't recall seeing him within the choices I had.

Yes - the game seems to make far more potential roomates than it shows you on the list (as I found to my cost). It seems to attempt to fill a pool when you first place an ad.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 23rd May 2016 at 9:34 PM
Good to know. Too bad he had to walk by to be noticed..I would have chose him for a roommate instead of Jim Futa, honestly.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 23rd May 2016 at 10:23 PM
What was he wearing? That might give a clue as to who is is. Could be garden club, I had one spawn.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#23 Old 23rd May 2016 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
What was he wearing? That might give a clue as to who is is. Could be garden club, I had one spawn.

I posted a pic of him..he is the dude wearing orange ALL OVER (including his hair) he was the one coming into my house uninvited.
http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...952#post5022952

Oh and about how nay students will be created, I'll find this easely finally. Once I will move my own 2 teens on the campus, I'll save then close the game. Then will launch SimPE and look at how many YA I have. For now, I have none...obviously.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 23rd May 2016 at 10:53 PM
Could be garden club, you can tell if he has sell potion on his menu.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 23rd May 2016 at 11:14 PM
Even now that he is a playable?

Page 1 of 2