Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 4:50 AM
Default My Kitty Died
My little tortie cat, Shaznay, died today. She was around 18 years old, and I knew she was gonna go any time, but I still miss her. I also know she's in a better place. I just wish I had taken a lot of pictures of her... only have one, I think, and it's a close-up, and I don't know where it is.
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 8:42 AM
18 is an amazing age for a cat. She must have been well looked after to reach that age.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Scholar
#3 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 9:11 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I had a cat, she was 13 years old when she passed away and I felt like I had lost my family member....
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 9:52 AM
Nooooo! Sorry to hear that, @JDacapo and sending you hugs!

My daughter's cat has pancreatitis and has been in cat hospital for 4 days.
Alchemist
#5 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 4:00 PM
18! Wow, great age for a cat.
But I know how you feel. Our beloved Dixie died a few years ago at the age of 16

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#6 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 4:37 PM
Thank you guys... I also wish I had spent more time petting her. She really liked being petted. And yes, she was well cared-for, and for the past few months, we would give her soft kitty food because she liked it the best and would meow frantically when she saw one of us with one of the cans. I know cats may likely be indifferent to us, but they still give us lots of joy - especially when they play with a string we dangle in front of them. If we ever get another cat, I hope it'll be a tortie or a calico, because those cats are so pretty.
Scholar
#7 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 5:17 PM
Indeed they are beautiful, though at the same time I swear an extra snobbishness gene exists in calicos. All the ones I've known have had a stick up their butt more than other colour cats.

You know, I bought a whole chicken today, and boiled all the bones and skin for stock/broth for our cats. Can you believe they turned their noses up at it, and our calico girl even freaked out at it like it was still alive?. But hey, that's what makes cats right - the animal we all know and love.

I find thinking of the silly times with my lost pets helps. It'll make you laugh, and laughing makes happy brain chemicals. Try to think of those times and not the bad. Remember, kitties live in the moment and don't wallow in the past, so all Shaznay knew was all the good you showed her.

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 6:22 PM
Thank you *huggle* and yup, Shaznay and a torbie we used to have, Hermione, tended to be rather finicky. Shaznay tolerated Hermione, though Hermione was angry as a lemming one night when a couple of feral male kittens (both creams) showed up.

Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
Indeed they are beautiful, though at the same time I swear an extra snobbishness gene exists in calicos. All the ones I've known have had a stick up their butt more than other colour cats.

You know, I bought a whole chicken today, and boiled all the bones and skin for stock/broth for our cats. Can you believe they turned their noses up at it, and our calico girl even freaked out at it like it was still alive?. But hey, that's what makes cats right - the animal we all know and love.

I find thinking of the silly times with my lost pets helps. It'll make you laugh, and laughing makes happy brain chemicals. Try to think of those times and not the bad. Remember, kitties live in the moment and don't wallow in the past, so all Shaznay knew was all the good you showed her.
#9 Old 5th Oct 2016 at 6:59 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that, JD. I also had a really old kitty, but we had to put her to sleep a few months ago because of her health.

I now foster cats, and I have a few here up for adoption, so if you want any more kitties, just PM me.

Life is paradoxically coincidental to the ironical tyranny applicable to the unparalleled definition of reverse entropy.

"A thunderstorm breaks the wall of darkness." - Lyrics to Storm

"Meh." - me
Theorist
#10 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 2:45 AM
Very sorry to hear that. Losing your beloved pets and/or them becoming very ill is terrible. I know the feeling

The gorgeous Tina (TS3) and here loving family available for download here.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 6th Oct 2016 at 4:04 AM
It is very sad. We used to have more cats, but they all died of old age. I remember drawing one of them for my sister, using soft pastels. Dunno where it is now, but I had also gotten a frame for it.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 11:35 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, too
Theorist
#13 Old 7th Oct 2016 at 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear this. My dog died years ago when I was 21 and I still get sad about it. Hopefully you will be able to remember your cat with fondness and not sadness someday.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Instructor
#14 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 10:38 AM
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! Even though it's "just a cat" and even if they're old, losing a companion like that is always sad. My own cat ran away months ago and never returned. I still dream she returns, but she wasn't a cat to be gone for more than a day, so she's gone.
Scholar
#15 Old 8th Oct 2016 at 10:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RedSneakers
Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that! Even though it's "just a cat" and even if they're old, losing a companion like that is always sad. My own cat ran away months ago and never returned. I still dream she returns, but she wasn't a cat to be gone for more than a day, so she's gone.

@RedSneakers
I knew of someone whos cat disappeared for 8 months or more and returned, so perhaps there's hope. Especially if you live rurally, I think cats can get carried away in their adventures. My cat in the UK also will disappear for sometimes a week or more and return. I don't mean to get anyones hopes up unrealistically, but they can be known to do that so perhaps bear it in mind.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 4:59 AM
I have lost 5 cat to either old age, terminal disease or both. It is always hardest to say a final goodbye.

18? My cat Nike lived to 21 and she was a little fighter to the end. She was the type to go out kicking and screaming.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Instructor
#17 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 12:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
@RedSneakers
I knew of someone whos cat disappeared for 8 months or more and returned, so perhaps there's hope. Especially if you live rurally, I think cats can get carried away in their adventures. My cat in the UK also will disappear for sometimes a week or more and return. I don't mean to get anyones hopes up unrealistically, but they can be known to do that so perhaps bear it in mind.

I've given up hope of her coming back. It's been months and she was never gone for more than a day or so before, so it would just be very unlikely that she's taken such a long adventure suddenly. I just hope whatever happened to her, happened quick and with as little pain as possible.

Speaking of dead cats, my uncle once found a red cat run over on their road. They had this big, red cat and since they live in a very small town, they figured it was theirs. My uncle dug a deep hole in the garden to bury it and my aunt called my cousin and they both cried on the phone and the poor cat got a proper burial. After they'd finished up, they turn around to see their big, red cat sit by its food bowl.
A few weeks later someone shows up and asks them if they've seen a red cat around.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 11th Oct 2016 at 8:00 AM
Oh my... I hope someone does find your kitty alive *huggles* And red cats are pretty. I love ginger and tortie cats so much. I hope we get one of those or a cream kitten.