Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 6:23 PM
Default for anyone that's been in a long distance relationship...
What are your experiences with dealing with a long distance relationship? I'm curious about what some of you have gone through. I'm not asking for anything too specific of course, so just say what you're comfortable talking about. I'd like to know because I met someone from the UK (with me being in the US) a little over a month ago, and it didn't take long at all for things to develop between us. We met on a site that I joined recently, and she sent me a PM because of my user image because it's the logo for a band that we both like. Then we started to chat on Skype with just text, and for the last month have used Skype every day but one. She randomly decided to do a voice chat one day, then did the same thing with video chat, so now we do video chats every single day and usually for several hours a day. We also play games online together, those are basically our dates.

So what started off appearing to be just a potential friend has become so much more than that. I was suffering from a horrible depression and was struggling to sleep as well, but now that's all gone because of her so that just shows you what she's meant to me. I know it's been a short time since we met, but I really want to be with her. When we first started on Skype I showed her a list of the games I have since she's also into gaming, and when she saw a game called Shenmue she joked that it was destiny for us to get married. Now I don't think either of us can joke about that, because it does seem like it was destiny for us to be together.

So yeah I ended up talking about her a lot, but I just thought it was important to show how much she means to me. I just love who she is as a person, and she makes me happy like nothing else can so I've just fallen for her.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 8:05 PM
I can't remember if I've ever told you this, but me and [Ex-Fiance] were long distance for a year when he started university before me. At first it was really great, but then I started to find myself very lonely whenever we were apart. That's one of the downside to long-distance relationships - the lack of physical touch can be difficult. It helps if you're working towards a common goal - like the next time you see each other, or moving in together. Counting down the days really helped. I know it's not like that for you and your girlfriend because you both live so far away and you don't have the money to just up and visit her. I use to love waking up every morning to a "Good morning, see you in _ weeks, __ days!" messages.

As you know, I'm considering a long distance relationship right now. I'm hopeful that I'll be able to work enough that if me and [potential boyfriend] actually become an official thing we get to see each other every few months. The past few months of us kinda being more than friends but not officially anything, we were pretty great together, but then again when I saw him in person - he mentioned that I didn't seem to talk anywhere near as much as I did over the internet, which kind of put him off a little. I guess I need to relax around him. After all it was my first time travelling alone and it's kinda scary. It's also scary to consider the idea of moving to another country. I'm sure you're thinking the same thing about your girlfriend - there's a chance you'll be starting a whole new life in a foreign country one day, but hopefully it'll be worth it.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Alchemist
#3 Old 9th Oct 2016 at 9:43 PM
I'm currently in a fresh LD relationship, so I can't help a lot there. Only negative things so far are that you can't see each other just for the evening or so, and the costs for travelling.

I come in peace
#4 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 11:25 PM
I'm in a semi long distance relationship. My girlfriend and boyfriend live in DC and I live about an hour and a half away. So it's close enough that I can go there for the day, but far enough away that it's not convenient for just seeing them for a short time. As Bigsimsfan12 said, the lack of physical touch can get tough as can communication - my situation is somewhat more difficult also because it's polyamorous and we are all mentally ill. I'm so glad for digital communication and cell phones that exist now, but I still look forward to the day when we'll live together.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com