Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 9:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DemonicDarkWolf
In doing so I added elevators to each apartment, (it's a duplex) so the sims could use the elevators to get to the separate floors in their own apartment.

I think in this case the game would read the elevator as a secondary exit door from the apartment on one floor (which it doesn't accept), and read the other floor as an entirely separate apartment with no entrance door (which it also doesn't accept). You're probably gonna have to use the spiral stairs instead.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#27 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 4:13 PM
Ah, that's what I thought. Spiral stairs are ok to use, thank you.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 3:34 PM
So basically, when you put in an apartment door, it converts it from residential to rental?

Cool. I'll have to study that more carefully, just skimmed over it.
Test Subject
#29 Old 14th Mar 2010 at 7:10 PM
omg.. is the apartments expansion really good?? worth buying?

Mizz ¤sώεεт LīLL1פ ez яiтε ђεяε---!!=D*
Mad Poster
#30 Old 15th Mar 2010 at 1:02 AM
One thing I like about apartments is that you can actually visit your neighbors. You can go in, grab a bite out of their fridge, sleep in the bed.... LOL
Test Subject
#31 Old 25th Mar 2010 at 6:56 PM
finally-i had tried to build apartment lots and had failed miserably.
Lab Assistant
#32 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 2:26 AM
Apartments are boring to build.
And quite annoying too.

Call me Isobel

*hates recorders, no-touch-the-baby mommies, and lost dice"
Scholar
#33 Old 29th Mar 2010 at 2:32 AM
Speak for yourself. I find it more amusing than houses.
Test Subject
#34 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 3:39 AM
I made and apartment out of a community lot, planing to use the "changeLotZoning apartmentbase" cheat, and the community phone, wouldnt change into a mailbox. Then I accidentally deleted the phone.

the cheat still makes it an apartment building, but when you move a family in, you cannot play in live mode, only build and buy. Please help?
Scholar
#35 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 4:49 AM
It's always best to start building with a residential lot because you always can buy the phone from the catalog if you want to change it into a community lot.

In your case, get the buyable mailbox for AL and the buyable trashcan for BV. (Sims2>Hack/Mods)
Theorist
#36 Old 5th Apr 2010 at 5:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sim_Sis_22
I made and apartment out of a community lot, planing to use the "changeLotZoning apartmentbase" cheat, and the community phone, wouldnt change into a mailbox. Then I accidentally deleted the phone.

the cheat still makes it an apartment building, but when you move a family in, you cannot play in live mode, only build and buy. Please help?

Arathea is right. Your problem is that you tried to make an apartment out of a community lot. It never works. I don't know why, but it doesn't, and people have already written about it somewhere in this forum. The lot should be residential first, you may change its zoning to community afterwards, but it should always start out as residential. If it started out as a community lot, then the mailbox won't change correctly, ever. Consider it a game quirk, I too couldn't properly zone my lots to apartments until I found that out.
Test Subject
#37 Old 6th Apr 2010 at 1:14 AM
Thanks guys, So dont start on a community lot. Got it. That sucks, i spent a lot of time on that lot. I got the buyable mailbox, and trashcan, and they appear in the game, but you can't place them on the lot. It wont work and I don't know why. But thanks for trying
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 5:36 AM
Building apartments are one of my most favorite things to do, personally. Just when you are, make sure you add room (or add) places for kitchens and bathrooms. I never bought University, as most people said it was just annoying.

WARNING -- I didn't realize that if you left an apartment unfurnished -- though you had utilities in the apartment building itself that justified the purpose -- the sims continue to have aspirations to buy toilets, fridges, etc., and it gets annoying to fulfill especially when there is no room to buy it. I was trying to build like a boarding home where you just lived in an apartment which only housed you (kind of like Hey! Arnold). Doesn't work, unless you can adjust the aspirations so the default ones about buying certain furniture can be disabled.
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 11:45 PM
I find it a bit annoying to build apartments because it takes forever to do everything, and you must make sure you've not missed or forgeoten anything before converting a lot into apartmentbase (you can fix what you've done wrong using some cheats, though). It is not like with the house, where you can fix sth., add a missing window/staircase, etc. after you've moved a family in.
AS for the lack of space: I usually build 5-6-7-floor buildings with oonly one apartment on each floor, so there's enough space fo everything, and it looks like a normal flat. I like Apartment life, it made the game much more realistic for me, because here where I live we have mostly flats/apartments, only few ppl live in detached houses.

And thank you for tutorials HP, it is really helpful and must-read.
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 3:47 PM
I hope this is the place for a query about apartment building!

I've built a pair of semi-detatched houses. One half is divided into 2 flats, which are wroking fine.

The other side is a house, and the game doesn't seem to recognise the second story- it's not factored into the rent (the rent for the house is about the same as for the flats) and you can see the furniture in it when playing the other flats. If you rent the house you can use the second floor fine, but when I was playing one of the flats I was able to turn the CD player off in the second floor of the house.

Only one door into the house, anyone got an idea why this is happening and how to get around it?
Scholar
#41 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 5:04 PM
That's a problem with modular/split level stairs. You can get more information about it in this thread. (Sorry, can't find a better link.)
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 5:50 PM
Thanks very much, it does indeed have modular stairs! Ah well, back to build mode!
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 18th May 2010 at 9:08 AM
Hi! I hope it's alright if I post my question here, I've looked all over MTS2 site and google but I couldn't find it.
So, I've recently build an apartment and I would like to share it with you here on MTS2, but how can I upload the apartment from my game into a package? Because it's not the same as uploading houses.

Thanks in advance! =)
Test Subject
#44 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 6:29 PM
Thank you SO much! For the longest time, I'd had no idea how to build an apartment! (:

- CandinFat(:
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 31st Aug 2010 at 2:15 PM
Why can't we make Apartments normally? What the hell is wrong with the modern expansion packs these days? My god, EA are so dumb.
transmogrified
retired moderator
#46 Old 31st Aug 2010 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PeterFoster111
Why can't we make Apartments normally?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you're asking why you have to start with a residential lot and then changelotzoning, the answer is simple: EA's empty lot catalog includes only residential or community lots. You would have to change lot zoning to build a custom dorm (all the way back in Uni) or hotel (BV) as well. It would be cluttery and redundant to have a bunch of empty lots of every type sitting in the neighborhood interface.

If you're asking why apartment lots go into build lockdown after their type has been changed, that's because the game has to treat each individual apartment as its own lot/separate saved game.
Test Subject
#47 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 11:02 PM
Anyone else have this problem:
I build an apartment complex and put in the bathroom, kitchen and light fixtures. Everything is great.
I move one of my Sims into one of the apartments and objects from other unrented apartments disappear. Objects like the kitchen, light and bathroom fixtures.
I suspect it has something to do with automated Sims moving into the apartments because a Sim I haven't made walks into the apartment but then disappears. Eventually reappearing
out on the lot to bother my made Sims.
Is there anything I can do about this? Any way to stop these annoying unwanted Sims from coming into the apartments?
I'd like to have the whole apartment complex rented out by my Sims only. And I'd like for the objects to stop disappearing.
Does anyone have any clue as to what I should do about this?
Thanks much.
Mad Poster
#48 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 11:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pineapplerum
Anyone else have this problem:
I build an apartment complex and put in the bathroom, kitchen and light fixtures. Everything is great.
I move one of my Sims into one of the apartments and objects from other unrented apartments disappear. Objects like the kitchen, light and bathroom fixtures.
I suspect it has something to do with automated Sims moving into the apartments because a Sim I haven't made walks into the apartment but then disappears. Eventually reappearing
out on the lot to bother my made Sims.
Is there anything I can do about this? Any way to stop these annoying unwanted Sims from coming into the apartments?
I'd like to have the whole apartment complex rented out by my Sims only. And I'd like for the objects to stop disappearing.
Does anyone have any clue as to what I should do about this?
Thanks much.

That'd be because townie neighbours move in shortly after your sim household does. If you move your sims into each flat (ie one household per flat) no townies will move in as all the flats will be taken. I think you can only move in 4 householsd though, so if you have more than 4 flats on the lot there will be townies living in the extra ones.

Objects inside the flats will still "disappear" if you're playing another flat (ie objects from Flats B, C & D won't be visible when you play Flat A) but they'll be there when you change household and play the other flats. They disappear because your household can't see into the flats that they aren't renting unless they knock on the door and go in.

Hope this helps! :-)
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 7th Oct 2010 at 9:10 AM
I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but I saw that the tread was talking about Apartment Life. I was wondering if there was a way to have a normal residential lot but still be able to have a roommate?

Ant content for Sims people, Sims content for Ant people
Mad Poster
#50 Old 11th Dec 2010 at 3:28 PM
I was experimenting with splitting a large residential house into multifamily units, and it occurred to me to wonder: Is it possible to hack a lot so that a tenant is the landlord? So that, for example, Rich Romance, on retirement, who has spent his entire life in pursuit of the Meaningless Woohoo and has no family to inherit the property anyway, gets tired of going up and down stairs, duplexes his house, and lives downstairs, leasing the upper floor to strangers (preferentially, to attractive young people who provide eye candy without having to drag himself all the way out to the clubs). He'd get the income from the rent and be responsible for upkeep. The building would revert to a management company (the default landlord) on his death.

I don't have anyone in place to do this with right now, but it's the sort of thing that happens around all the time. (Except it's usually old ladies who've outlived their husbands and are resisting their kids' efforts to move them into a nursing home.) I could just write it as backstory and the default landlord would be the super; but if there's a hack...

What would be the hazards of changing the zoning of an inhabited lot?
Page 2 of 7