Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 12:20 AM
Default Issues with slot placement (and Wings3D as a "slot-plotter")
I'm using Wings to plot out where to put the slots for objects, and as long as the objects have mirrored or centered slots I tend to manage fine (they often end up reversed in left/right order, though), but I often have a lot more trouble with objects where slots have to be offset from each other.

I'm basically wondering which number should go where, since I can't seem to pick up the logic behind it. (picture under)

I've so far figured out that the Z number is the up/down (the middle number in Wings), but I always struggle with which is which of the X and Y numbers, and if any of the (+) or - should be reversed in SimPE (seems that way, but again - the logic). I usually get them mixed up, and it's a bit of trial and failure plus a lot of testing ingame.

The picture in the slot tutorial available here on MTS is from Milkshape, I'm not sure it's translateable to Wings3D (plus, I'm having troubles understanding it anyways). My laptop refuses to run Milkshape, so Wings is all I've got for this.

Thanks for any help
Screenshots
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 12:45 AM
It is translatable to Wings. The 3d programs have x on the horizontal axis, left to right. The z is front to back, and Y is up and down, or vertical.

In SimPE the x-axis is horizontal, the same as the 3d program. The z-axis in SimPE is up and down, vertical. And the y-axis is front to back.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 2:11 AM
So when translating the Y-axis, I'd have to swich the +/- in front of the number?
Instructor
#4 Old 17th Feb 2018 at 2:34 PM
It depends on which directions in Wings are positive or negative. You can pretty much ignore the labels of your axes in Wings, and think of them in SimPE designations.

+x is moving left from the origin, -x is moving right
+y is moving toward you, -y is moving away from you
+z is moving up -z is moving down

(I don't know how Wings3D works, so don't take this example literally. Just think in terms of direction, and match that direction to the SimPE axes.)
So, for example, if your program says a slot that is closer to you than the O(zero) point on the z axis, you ignore the "z", recognize the slot is moving toward you, and assign its value as a +Y in SimPE.
just a girl
#5 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 2:07 AM
My struggles with slots and directions made me finally make this reference of in-game coordinates for myself. Maybe it'll be of use to you too.

Degrees and z's next to them are for rotation. Bold black arrows indicate how sim approaches (for routing slots).
North East South West - for orientation to walls and sometimes used in slot labels and bone names (e.g. slot_0_ne = north-east slot).
XYZ axises and green grid square should be self explanatory.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Feb 2018 at 2:38 AM
Thanks for the picture, Lamare! That'll probably be very helpful