Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 1:00 AM
Replies: 20 (Who?), Viewed: 19660 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Nov 2004 at 7:15 PM
Default Replacing game textures - How to ?
1. Tools :
- SimPe
- TXTR extractor v0.3

2. How to find texture you want

This is little tricky, actually i have object 6,7,8,9 extracted on my hd, and browsing through them, you'll be better off browsing LIFO files.
When you find texture you want check its name.

it could be for example :

mirrorartnouveau-surface1_lifo

the 1_lifo tells you that it's not the largest texture
largest textures are marked with 0_lifo so be sure to find that one.

When you got proper texture export it.

Now you need to find corresponding TXTR file, i usually use Find in Files option to do that. Search for mirrorartnouveau-surface1_lifo in the folder where you have TXTR files extracted.

When you have it copy it to your TXTR extractor export folder. You will also need this texture name so you have to open it with extractor too. In our case TXTR name is mirrorartnouveau-surface_txtr

Now edit your exported bitmap ( its in export folder);

Go to TXTR extractor again select File->New, new dialog will open.
Select your edited bitmap in first edit box, and your TXTR file in second edit.
If your texture had alpha channel choose DXT3 from TXTR format, if not choose DXT1.
In texture name paste the name of the texture -> mirrorartnouveau-surface_txtr

Click import.
DOS window should appear saying that it's compressing, after it's gone you can close TXTR extractor.

Now start SimPe.

Choose File->New
then choose File->Add
Browse to your export folder and select the texture file.
Select the file from the right listbox
at the bottom tabcontrol choose Packed File
from File Type combo select Texture Image
click commit.
Choose File->Save
Save it in your Sims2/Downloads folder with your favorite name.

Run the Sims 2 and enjoy.

[ Edited ]
[ Edited ]
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 2:28 AM
I cant find the TXTR files to extract! where are they? :confused: :confused:
#3 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 2:34 AM
What does this do? Sorry, not versed in modding/skinning at all. Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 7:19 AM
Can some one help me? i followed the tutprial and i did and i got the attatched file at last but when i put in into my game it doesnt load! why???????????? :confused: BTW: i'm a noob 2 modding/skinning
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip Bar_Stool_TXTR.zip (8.2 KB, 126 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip bar_stoolTMP_AND_BMP_FILES.zip (33.0 KB, 95 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: zip bar_stool_package.zip (8.2 KB, 109 downloads) - View custom content
Field Researcher
#6 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 8:40 PM Last edited by Temporary : 10th Dec 2004 at 9:10 PM.
I'm lost, where do you find textures? Can you be alittle bit more specific please?

EDIT 1: Nevermind, I found them. Now, how do I export a texture using SimPe? Am I doing this right?

I'm in SimPe, browsing Objects09.package and selected pottychair-red0_lifo. How do I export it?

Edit 2: Nevermind again. Ok. I exported pottychair-red0_lifo using SimPE to a new folder, is that right? Now what? o_0
Field Researcher
DELETED POST
10th Dec 2004 at 8:55 PM Last edited by Temporary : 10th Dec 2004 at 9:02 PM.
This message has been deleted by Temporary.
Field Researcher
DELETED POST
10th Dec 2004 at 9:09 PM
This message has been deleted by Temporary.
Test Subject
#7 Old 11th Dec 2004 at 12:17 AM
Hi,

I try to change the colors, but i have really big Problems
Im not really good in English and the Tutorial is very difficult to understand.

And i can't open the extracted bmp with Photoshop (he don't unterstand the File), so im not able to edit the picture.

I use this Programs:
SimPe_012n_de
txtr_extractor_v031

is someone here that speaks German and can help me a little?

greats
grizzli

PS: I hope my English is not to bad
Forum Resident
#8 Old 11th Dec 2004 at 3:53 PM Last edited by anglesims2 : 12th Dec 2004 at 9:21 AM. Reason: Adding information of SimPE New version and a qwestion.
The TXTR for some reason is not working right for me do you know why? I like to know so I can make things too. Please help me thank you your tut is great too, By the way.

By the way a new SimPE version is now out the 12o version I just updated mine there are settle new things. Like what is the levelcinfo mean? LOL :eek:
Forum Resident
DELETED POST
12th Dec 2004 at 9:18 AM
This message has been deleted by anglesims2.
Test Subject
#9 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 4:11 PM Last edited by -wanted- : 12th Dec 2004 at 4:19 PM.
thank youuuu

but when i trying to import its shows me this error massage "DOS utilities not found..."
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzlibaer
Hi,

I try to change the colors, but i have really big Problems
Im not really good in English and the Tutorial is very difficult to understand.

is someone here that speaks German and can help me a little?

Bist du der/die Grizzly ausm Simsforum :eek: ?

Wenn ja, muss die Welt ja super klein sein xD

Sorry for german posting I think grizzly understand it better!
Test Subject
#11 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 10:39 PM
Hallo Tantchen,

sowas aber auch, das man Dich hier trifft Hast Du Erfahrung mit den Sachen? Ich wollte das ausprobieren, aber bei mir funktioniert gar nichts Ich würd gern einige Sachen im selben Look wie die anderen machen (auch für meine Schwester)
Meinst Du die finden es ok, das hier auch Deutsch gepostet wird?

gruß
grizzli
Field Researcher
#12 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 10:46 PM
Quote:
Hallo Tantchen,

sowas aber auch, das man Dich hier trifft Hast Du Erfahrung mit den Sachen? Ich wollte das ausprobieren, aber bei mir funktioniert gar nichts Ich würd gern einige Sachen im selben Look wie die anderen machen (auch für meine Schwester)
Meinst Du die finden es ok, das hier auch Deutsch gepostet wird?

gruß
grizzli

Probably not....just use the "Private Messages" thing....there you can use any language you want.

Its fun to be a Sadist.
*The Pain & Pleasure Principle*

Save the world and drown a politican today!

El diablo sabe mas por viejo que por diablo!
Test Subject
#13 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkmoon
Probably not....just use the "Private Messages" thing....there you can use any language you want.

Thx for the Info Darkmoon

Private Message is active , but i hope someone can also help me with txtr_extractor_v031 - i really dont unterstand phervers Tutorial :confused:
Perhabs Pictures can help to unterstand which I must do ...

greets grizzli
Field Researcher
#14 Old 12th Dec 2004 at 11:28 PM
Quote:
Thx for the Info Darkmoon

Private Message is active , but i hope someone can also help me with txtr_extractor_v031 - i really dont unterstand phervers Tutorial :confused:
Perhabs Pictures can help to unterstand which I must do ...

greets grizzli

No Problem....sorry I can't help you with that, as I'm no "Moder" or "Programmer".

I'm not sure, but I thought that one of the "Moders" here speaks german....I think I seen some posts of him/her in a german forum...again sorry, but I don't remember the board name, nor the name of that person right now.

Its fun to be a Sadist.
*The Pain & Pleasure Principle*

Save the world and drown a politican today!

El diablo sabe mas por viejo que por diablo!
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 3:18 AM
acckkk!!!
Ok trying to follow this turorial thingy...

ummm had to figure out where to find those object packages the tute doesn't say. At anyrate. C/programfiles/eagames/sims2/tsdata/res/sims3d

I found tons of object packages. I opened the txtr extracter the latest posted version.... went to browse to those files... clicked on the object08.package file to extract what ever it was i was supposed to extract.
Then I get an error message... This is not a valid txtr file then the program crashed. Anybody have any clear step by step instructions for any of this? mmm Its got to be me and something I did as other people seem to be able to do this so its definately me... I just need a good teacher to hold my hand a lil. Thanks any help is appreciated

peace

rain

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't compare your life to others,
You have no idea what their journey is about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
#16 Old 10th Aug 2005 at 9:08 AM
ok thans a lot
Field Researcher
#17 Old 9th Aug 2006 at 12:31 AM
Quote:
And i can't open the extracted bmp with Photoshop (he don't unterstand the File), so im not able to edit the picture.

Sometimes the game, particularly if you use BodyShop, will create BMP's with bad headers that Photoshop can't read.

The easy way around that is to open the bitmap in MSPaint or Photo Editor (I suppose Office Picture Manager would also work, but I hate that program.)

Once you've done this, save a copy of your bitmap to the Desktop as a PNG. Then you can do whatever you want in Photoshop. Just be sure to change it back to a bitmap through Photoshop when you're done, or else BodyShop will be useless.

I agree that this is a confusing tutorial. But I'll help out however I can.
Inventor
#18 Old 13th Oct 2006 at 7:38 AM
I've done all this in the past, and I find the biggest problem you regnoising the textures you want the modify.

I have been looking for the University Green book, the sims use to study, I would like a change in colour, but never can find it.
Test Subject
#19 Old 24th Aug 2008 at 1:45 PM
ok i need some help im wanting to replace the texture of the diary ive tryed replacing the texture using wizards of SimPE but i hasnt worked ingame can someone help
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 26th Sep 2008 at 6:05 PM
I'm having trouble changing the hot choc mug and the espresso cup :-/ And for some reason I can't find this TXTR extractor - all the links for it are dead.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 4th Dec 2008 at 9:13 PM
Is the texture extractor supposed to stop SimPE compressing the image too much or something because as far as I knew SimPE can export and import textures without the use of an external program anyway?
I've made a replacement before for the FreeTime clown facepaint but it only works on certain machines. It used to work on mine before I upgraded my drivers but now it just looks so blocky and blurry that I've had to remove it from my downloads.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu