Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #3 - posted on 20th Oct 2017 at 10:54 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 768 (Who?), Viewed: 202856 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356[/url]
Page 1 of 31
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 1:54 AM Last edited by Numenor : 9th Nov 2005 at 1:58 AM.
Default *OUTDATED* (Was: Recoloring Objects with SimPE’s Object Workshop)
After many months of "honoured service", this excellent tutorial (thank you RGiles for having made it so complete and understandable! ) has eventually grown too old...

The new tutorial, completely rewritten, with new images and updated for the latest SimPE v.50b, can be found HERE.

(Thread closed)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
This tutorial may be republished in its original form or translated to another language on any free site or in the free publicly viewable section of any pay site. If you have published a translation, please send me a link to it by PM so I can add your link to this thread. MTS2 users may be happy to find a version in their native language. This tutorial may NOT be republished on any part of a website where a paid subscription is required to view it. If you are republishing, please store and link to your own copies of the images rather than linking to them on my server. Thanks. RG

Translations available :
Dutch tutorial/Nederlandse tutorial
Italian Tutorial
Russian Tutorial
Polish Tutorial ("Pomoc" section)

This tutorial was first written based on the features of SimPE version 0.12t, and has been updated to apply completely to version 0.14a. I can’t guarantee that it will be correct for future versions of SimPE. I’m going to try to do this without screenshots because I’m very disorganized... you should see my “Desktop”. If anyone really needs the screenshots, I can add them later, but this is a very short process.

EDIT: New screenshots were provided by Deedee. Thanks so much for taking the time to do these and share them with everyone. Click the thumbnails to see full-sized images.

EDIT 03Aug2005 (by Numenor): If your recolours look blurry, use the DDS Utilities, as explained in this post

An alternate method of creating recolors is the Wizards of SimPE, a plugin that was created after this tutorial was written. You'll find it in the SimE folder in your Start menu. I don't plan to write a separate tutorial for the Wizards of SimPE because it's just so easy, if you try it you really can't fail. If you simply must have a tutorial for it, you can find one by DeeDee on the SimPE site.

*Special Note: In order to recolor objects that Maxis shipped with only one color choice available, you will first need to download the “Enable Color Options” package which is available on this thread. Anyone using the recolor you made with the “Enable Color Options” package will need to install that package as well.

You’ll need
- SimPE 0.14a or higher
- An image editor that supports PNG files

Make sure you know the in-game name of the object you want to recolor and open SimPE.

Special note for anyone using a non-English version of the game: Open SimPE, click the "Extras" menu item, and them click "Options". You will see an option to set the "Default Language". Select your language in that list, and then click the "OK" button. Close SimPE. The next time you open it, Object Workshop will display the names of the objects in the same language as your game. The objects named in this tutorial are from the English vesion.

For the purpose of this example, I’m going to start with some bedding. Bedding, as it turns out, is part of the “Colonial Ironwood Bed” object, but most things you’ll want to recolor will have their own name because you can buy them separately in the catalog. For bedding that will apply in-game to all single and double beds, always start with the “Colonial Ironwood Bed” object.

In the main menu, click “Plugins” and then “Object Workshop”

It will take a several seconds for Object Workshop to load because it’s getting a list of all the objects in your game. If you open the Workshop again without restarting SimPE in between, it will be fast the next time.

In the text box at the top of the Object Workshop dialog box, start to type the name of the object, and the list of object below the text box will start to scroll to take you to the right object name. Or rather than type it, you can simply scroll through the list until you see the name of the object.

Either way, once you found Colonial Ironwood Bed in the list, click on it (even if it looks like it’s already selected for you).

You should see a thumbnail of the bed appear below the list of objects on the left.

There are 2 options below the thumbnail: “Clone” and “Color Options”. Make sure “Color Options” is selected.

On the right side of the dialog box, you’ll see “Create Color Extension Package”. Make sure that option is checked.

Click the Start button.

You will see a dialog box explaining the experimental nature of object recolors and reminding you that you’ll need the “Enable Color Options” package in order to use Object Workshop with objects that originally only came in one color. As long as you’re willing to participate in this beta testing process, click OK.

A Save File dialog box will pop up. Here you need to choose a name for your recolor package. It’s very important that you pick a unique name for it because the internal numbers in the package will forever be based on the name you choose here, and if you pick the same name as someone else, your recolor will interfere with theirs and maybe neither of them will be available in the game. It’s a good idea to put your name or username in as part of the package file name. Just don’t call it “bed1.package”. Be descriptive.

After you’ve picked a name, click the Save button. Go grab some fresh coffee, take a potty break, or just sit back for a bit. This takes a while, and SimPE will probably look like it froze. It didn’t.

When it’s done working, you’ll get a pop-up box with the different parts of the object listed. For the bed, your choices are “bedding” or “frame”. (For simple objects that have only one part, you won’t see this box at all.) Click on “bedding” in the list, and then click the blue text for “Select”.

SimPE will work for another few seconds, and then you’ll see a list of 3 files in the “Packed Files” list at the top of the SimPE screen. You only have to worry about one of them.

In the list of 3 files, click on “Texture Image”.

In the lower part of the SimPE screen, click the tab for “Plugin View”.

You should see a nice big picture of one of the Maxis default beds. Right-click on the image.

In the pop-up menu that appears, select “Export…”

A Save File dialog appears. You can keep the default name that’s given to the image or choose your own name. It doesn’t matter. This is just for your use, not the game’s use. Save it anywhere that’s convenient to you, just know where you’re putting it and click Save. Don’t bother trying to save it as anything but a PNG. So far no matter what you call it, SimPE only saves PNG files.

OK… that’s the first half in SimPE. Now minimize SimPE, go open that image in your image editor and make something stunning. Don’t ask me how. If you know how, please tell me.

EDIT 28Aug2005 (by Numenor): in order to actually edit the texture for the bedding, you can refer to the good Tutorial by Tiggerypum. NOTE: the tutorial applies only to beddings textures.

Done editing your new bedding? Save your file as either a BMP (24 bit, if you’re asked to choose) or a PNG (not interlaced).

OK, back to SimPE. You should still see that image of the original Maxis bed. Right click on it again.

This time when the pop-up menu appears, select “Import”.

In the Open File dialog that pops up, browse to your edited bedding image, and click the Open button.

The picture of the Maxis bedding should be replaced by your own.

Right click on it again. In the pop-up menu, click “Update All Sizes”.

In the upper right of the Plugin View tab (right above the image), click “Commit”.

SimPE will pop up a window to tell you when it’s done committing your changes. Click OK in that window.

In the main menu of SimPE, click File and then Save...

And you’re done. Put the new package file into your Downloads folder, and go test it in the game. And if it’s cool, share a copy with me.

Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip Tutorial in WordPerfect format thanks to Anglesims2.zip (11.3 KB, 1978 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar Tutorial in WordPerfect format thanks to Anglesims2.rar (10.0 KB, 1109 downloads) - View custom content

You can't use a bulldozer to study orchids.
65 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 2:04 AM
Thanks, RGiles.
Test Subject
#3 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 2:36 AM
RGile, you are my hero....thanks
#4 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 2:38 AM
Thanx ill try it out later
Test Subject
#5 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 2:46 AM
Way major thanks from a major lurker

:howdy:
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 2:54 AM
good tut but the object tutorial shows this. See screenshot. maybe Quaxi should address this.
Screenshots
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 3:00 AM
Some people are getting errors in the plugin when first load it. Is that when this happened? Quaxi's not around right now, but I want to be able to report this stuff to him when he gets back.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 3:03 AM
Thanks RGiles. *hands you an entire chocolate-cherry cheesecake*
#9 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 3:19 AM
mine was ok. are they sure they downloaded the latest version? might still have .12 r?

thanks for this, BTW!! You are AWESOME!!
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 3:28 AM
Cozmicrain twisted my arm and forced me to do this... or at least asked nicely.

Mmmmm, oh sweet wonderful cheesecake! Thanks :D
Test Subject
#11 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 6:42 AM
I cannot thank you enough for this RGiles. If I could send a strawberry cheesecake via modem I would. Here is a screenshot of what took me about 15 minutes to do , which is amazing because my first and ONLY successful fridge re-color took me the better part of a day(yeah I got Rudolf's brother Randolph the blinking fridge saved in my junk file, as well as the mysterious Dr. (red)X) I did cheat though, I used your templates, I think you called them clown furniture, and it made it go even faster. We need a cheesecake smiley now.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 8:46 AM
RG why does this come up when i use OW for the total mirror??
Screenshots
#13 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 9:24 AM
RG, I'm going to steal this and post it on Spiffy, if that's OK I guess it's not stealing if I ask first... ahhh well, Here's some cheesecake, just look in the other direction for a minute.
Original Poster
#14 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwizz

Numenor just figured out yesterday (I think) that OW is getting an error on all mirrors because of some information in the files about reflections that it's not expecting. Quaxi has been around to fix that yet. Sorry I didn't think to mention that.

Bortai_Degera,
It's not quite stealing, no. You'll need practice at that. It's fine to repost it there.

RG
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwizz

The mirrors still aren't handled correctly by SimPE, so no recolor is possible so far, even if the original mirror already has multiple colors options.
Note that it's possible to recolor the frame mirror, but some hand-made work is needed in order to do that; SimPE it's not suitable for the purpose.
I pointed out this problem to Quaxi, I'm sure he will fix it in one of the future releases of SimPE
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 8:57 PM
RG I can not thank you enough!! Your so called mini tutorial on all of this let me do a creation in about 15 minutes. No hang ups no glitches I even tested it in the game it works great and doesn't flash blue w00t

I couldn't make heads or tales with all the updates on pinheads thread it all just made my head hurt . This was direct and to the point and very well written I can't imagine anyone needing screen shots. Excelent job.

Just to show ya what I am working on.... (see attatched pics)
Granted there is a lot of tweeking to be done... I made that bed before I knew you uploaded a template so needless to say the next try should get everything to line up right. Curtians and furniture to come that go with the wall papers and such. Here's some screen shots of my cabin in the making.

And Rennie rocks for doin those fire places they are perfect!
Screenshots

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't compare your life to others,
You have no idea what their journey is about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Original Poster
#17 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 9:14 PM
Your theme is great, and I love the color choices... very earthy, my fave. I'm glad the little tutorial helped. I've never written one before, but I think I'm going to do a series of short ones like this for the stuff I've been playing with for making parts of objects or floors transparent and adding bump maps like you can with bodyshop.

RG
Instructor
#18 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 9:58 PM Last edited by Quaxi : 27th Dec 2004 at 10:27 PM.
@kyjj911:
You have to set the correct Paths in "Extra->Options..." for this feature to work properly.
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#19 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 10:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaxi
@kyjj911, kidwizz:
You have to set the correct Paths in "Extra->Options..." for this feature to work properly.

Sorry, Quaxi, but I don't think this is the cause of the problem: all of us (RGiles, kyjj911 and I) had the same error, referring to an "Unknown RCOL block cViewerRefNodeRecursive".
Well, this RCOL block is certainly unknown to me but I think that the RCOL wrapper simply can't handle this type or block. Am I wrong?
Scholar
#20 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 10:25 PM
ok i see that some ppl were able to do this but when i am at the very begining after i select the colonial iron wood bed and hist start i get the message .............inorder for this feature to work on objects that are not yet colored enabled i need two other files ect....but how do i know what ones are coloed enable (does that just mean objects that have multiple color obtions?) sorry if this was alreday answered
thx
Instructor
#21 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 10:27 PM
Ah, it was only the answer for kyjj911.

Sorry! And you are right, the Block is just unknown to the Wrapper at the Moment. I'll have a look at it.

@dragon_tfm:
Yes, those are Objects with multiple Color options.
Scholar
#22 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 10:44 PM
ok i got another problem.....i followed evrything rather quickly and i went to go copy the .package....but i dont have one just a .bak uum what i do wrong or what should i do
Original Poster
#23 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 10:50 PM
That's a rather odd one. Did you save the file and close SimPE? If you open SimPE again and go to the main menu, File and then Recent Files you should get a pop-up to show you where the file saved.
Scholar
#24 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 10:56 PM
ok so like now im really confussed caus ei did what you said...and it showed it was saved where i thought i saved it BUT when i go to find in in /mycomputer....its still not there and i even tried save as and hopeing it would show up it just overwrites the .package file that i cant see arg
Scholar
#25 Old 27th Dec 2004 at 10:59 PM
ok so apparently my computer hates me cause i restarted it and now its there....i need a new one like so bad lol arg
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 31