Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 9:39 PM Last edited by coolsim22 : 12th Nov 2014 at 4:09 PM.
Default Weird things you did when you was a kid
i thought this thread will be fun to make

when i was 9 or 10 all the girls in my year group had side fringes (at the time i thought they didn't have a fringe at all), i was the only girl in the year group with a fringe at the front of my face and because i really wanted my hair to be like every one else's hair i thought it would be a good idea to cut off all my fringe thinking my hair will be the same as all the girls. as soon as i looked in the mirror after i cut my fringe of i learned that you don't get a side fringe by cutting all your fringe off. anyway for the rest of the evening i felt guilty and i was in shock by what what i just did for the whole evening i was thinking 'OMG, OMG, WHAT DID I JUST DO,WHAT DID I JUST DO?, AM I GOING TO GET BULLIED?, I DON'T WANT TO GO TO SCHOOL TOMORROW!'

luckily i didn't get bullied but every one in my year group at the time kept asking me about it and i learned a very important lesson because of the experience, cutting of your fringe does not give you a side fringe and leave the job of cutting your hair to your hairdresser.

now that i think back on it, it is kind of funny that i though cutting of my whole fringe will give me a side fringe

Have you done any strange or weird things that you may or may not have regretted when you was a kid?
i definitely regretted cutting my fringe off and after growing my fringe for 2 years i finally got the side fringe i always wanted.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 9:59 PM
I got my hair (side fringe, fyi) caught in a swing when I was a kid. It was when I was going around in circles so the rope was pretty tight and I tried to swing around in circles the other way but that only seemed to make it worse so I just plain pulled my head backwards with full force, which pulled all my side-fringe straight out of my head.
12 years later, the right side of my head still has a slight bald spot. People are like "I can't see it!" but before, my hair would kinda go in this outward curl/flick before and now it's just not there on one side.

Edit: Weird how all these posts have either included side fringes or swings...

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Nov 2014 at 10:10 PM
Hahah when my boyfriend was in Sixth Form (a year before we met, because he was in the year above) he thought he was an 'adult now' so instead of getting his Mum to cut his hair, he tried cutting it himself. Apparently it looked terrible and his Mum then had to spend hours trying to fix it. I think in the end she just cut it really short.

Forum Resident
#4 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 2:35 AM
I have a hair story too, but it doesn't involve my hair. I had Barbie dolls once, and I thought if I clipped off their hair, it would grow back. Obviously not, it wasn't a hairdressing edition. I probably still have that pageboy-cut doll in a cupboard somewhere.

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Instructor
#5 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 3:58 AM
Might as well change the thread title to "weird hairstyles that you had when you were a kid."

I was more of a "tween," but I went through a phase from about the end of 5th grade, (10 years old,) all the way to I think 7th grade (12ish years old) where I refused to brush, comb, or really do ANYTHING with my hair! My argument would always be "I have curly hair and you're not supposed to brush curly hair!" Eventually I got into the next phase, which was always brushing my curls out. It looked truly terrible.

Oh, then the summer going into 9th grade I used red kool-aid to dye my hair. Note to self: NEVER do this again!!! There was no way to get it out other than cutting it. It looked nice for awhile though.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 4:01 AM
There's a lot I did that was weird. Apparently being an only child just makes you do weird things. Keeping with the hair-related stories, I had short hair. My parents would not let me grow it out. I had a bowl cut.

Anyways, when I was little, I just wanted long, beautiful princess hair, instead of the ugly bowl haircut that I had. Well, I couldn't just make my hair magically grow, so what is a girl to do? Well, I wore my shirts on my head, or my nightgown for longer hair. I'd walk around the house like that all the time, apparently, even if guests were over. Some people still comment about my clothes-hair, but it worked! But yeah, it was weird. People for some reason think I don't remember it, because I was a young kid, because they will tell me about it, and I'm like, "Uh, yeah, I was there." Well, I really wanted princess hair, and I vividly remember it well.

I did not leave the house like that, though. I guess I had enough sense to know people didn't walk around with clothes on their head outside, but as soon as I got home, princess hair was on. (Sort of like the poor person's "wig"/a child's awesome imaginary wig).
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 12:56 PM
Breaking the hair combo, here's a story that's not about hair. Also my earliest memory:
When I first heard this song , I loved it. I was about 3 or so at this time (possibly younger) and I have a vivid memory of standing on a toybox in my bedroom and jumping off it screaming "I get knocked down! But I get up again!" and climbing back on top of the toy box.
I actually have quite a few memories from around that time (the year before I started school, but my sister would be at school), I know people say they're false memories of what people told you, but I vividly remember quite a lot from when I was 3 onwards, so I presume that's when I developed episodic memory.

I also remember when I was about 5 and I use to imitate Ainsworth's 'Strange situation' experiment (Attachment theory) with my dolls and other psychological experiments I would watch on tv. And yet out of me and my sister people would consider me 'the stupid one'

Mad Poster
#8 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 1:30 PM Last edited by grammapat : 15th Nov 2014 at 2:35 AM.
When I was maybe 3 I went to bed eating a banana (why would my mom let me DO that?). I remember standing by her (my head was knee level, is that 3?) while she put my bedding in the washer. I felt just awful, waiting for her to wash banana out of my hair. Then there was the time, walking to school with my friend, when we got side-tracked looking at bugs in a big field. Found a mud puddle; must have been deep, I remember how good it felt to SWIM. Don't remember if we ever got to school, but think I would have remembered the result of coming home with my school clothes covered with mud. And for some bazaar reason I was always a "farm girl", wanting to grow things and bring home animals. I remember finding kittens, even a baby duck, and trying to hid them under my bed...

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Theorist
#9 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 2:59 PM
I think I was weird to the point of mental illness.
When I was maybe 8, my cousin came to stay with us. She told us a story about someone whose kidneys quit working and they had to be hooked up to machines regularly (dialysis). That freaked me out so bad, I would literally go pee every 10-minutes to make sure my kidneys were still functioning properly. I think that went on for at least 1 or 2yrs.
Not long after, my dad who was a neurologist, would bring home videos about brain tumors and watch them on the livingroom TV where I would be hanging out playing with Legos. That freaked me out so bad, I started getting headaches all the time and thought I had a brain tumor. The chronic headaches went on so long that my parents had me get a CAT scan just to make sure there wasn't really anything going on. Negative for anything, anxiety and psychosomatic they said it was. I'm guessing I was about 9 or 10.
Close to the same time, I watched an America's Most Wanted where one of the victims was dying of Cystic Fibrosis. I think that somehow made me develop a chronic cough. I asked my dad if I could possibly have Cystic Fibrosis, after all, I had a lot of mucous. My dad told me, no, it's impossible, you're born with it. Then afterwards I was sure I had some kind of lung cancer. The chronic cough went on so long, my parents had me get a chest X-ray, about the same time as the CAT scan. Anxiety and psychosomatic again.

All that worry made my childhood not very much fun at all. I wish I could go back and tell 8yr old me, "don't worry, you're clear for at least the next couple decades". Sucks that not a whole lot changed going into adolescence and adulthood.

More light-hearted weird things I did:
I wore plaid pants. They were hand-me-downs from my dad. I don't think plaid pants were ever in style, but my dad is a little nerdy Chinese man and I guess he had these plaid pants from his younger days. I didn't even realize how dorky I must have looked as a 3rd grader wearing antique plaid pants to school.
I've always loved cars, and one time saw the Lovebug movie on the old movie channel. That made me decide to draw a Volkswagen Beetle on my hand with a pen. Any time it would start to fade, I'd re-draw it. I probably kept that up for several months.
Ever since I was really little, I played with toy cars as if they were dolls. I was making my own "Cars" movies in my mind before the movies existed. I would always carry a Matchbox car in my pocket with me everywhere, it was like a little friend or pet. I didn't race or crash them, I literally played with them almost exactly the same way little girls play with dolls. I had a stupid voice for them that I would call my "car-ry voice" which kind of sounded like Lisa Simpson. It drove my mom nuts.
I would get so heartbroken when my parents would trade in a car, because I thought it was a member of the family. At the dealership, I'd go through this physical ritual of a "virtual brain transplant" from old to new, which was what made it okay in my mind for my parents to trade cars. It probably didn't look too far off from a witchdoctor dance. I think I tried to do it when no one was looking, but if a car dealer saw me, they'd probably think I was some weird kid.

Resident wet blanket.
Instructor
#10 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 3:28 PM
I remember watching a movie with my parents where hotel guests get 'radioactive fish poisoning'. I had to go to the doctors sometime after and told the doctor, in front of my mum, that my mum had fed me radioactive fish fingers at least they both had a sense of humour!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 4:36 PM Last edited by coolsim22 : 12th Nov 2014 at 4:58 PM.
@pizza, are you talking about the movie called, Guest House Paradiso.
i watched that movie 5 years ago when i was sleeping over at my cousin's house, it was our sleep over movie because we couldn't think of what else to watch. Unfortunately i was eating some snacks, we got to eat while watching the film, when the really disgusting scenes started and every time a guest was sick me and my cousin hid behind our pillows because we were nearly sick just watching it. so me and my cousin went to bed feeling very nauseated.
lets just say i don't plan on watching that movie anytime soon.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 4:54 PM
when i was about 7 years old, one of my baby tooth fell out, i then put it under the pillow ready for the 'Tooth Fairy' so i could get my £1 or £2 which i was really excited about. when i woke up the next morning the first i did was look under my pillow to see if i got some money but there was no money under my pillow, so how did i react?
I started crying my eyes out and went in my parents bedroom just to wake them up to tell them the 'Tooth Fairy' hasn't come to take my tooth and give me £1 or £2. which was kind of weird. LOL.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 12th Nov 2014 at 5:23 PM
Here's one weird kid: I lived in Maryland, where red ants are very common. They're a delicacy in Asia, and I discovered that they're yummy, although prone to biting your tongue when you're ingesting them...

Another: where I lived was close to the inlet of the harbor, and sometimes the flotsam would contain styrofoam packaging broken up. I thought they were dinosaur eggs.

At the time I didn't even know dinosaurs could lay eggs either. I was a very dumb kid. Surprised I made this far in life
Forum Resident
#14 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 2:55 AM
I used to watch Disney cartoons and reenact the stunts in them, like trying to jump into a pool of water as in Jungle Book, swinging up on a "pirate ship" as in Peter Pan, you get the drift.

As a teen, I once painted my nails blue (I couldn't find black polish) when I was in a mallgoth phase, and I didn't know about base coat at that time. I ended up with bright blue thumbs for weeks once my parents* made me take the color off.

*They still don't like it when I wear dull colors like black or dark purple, even if they understand the intent behind them.

Avatar model: Shi Gaik Lan / Atroxia "Jade Orchid" Lion (Source: Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires).
The Four Stars (Table of Content)
Mekageddon, the Interactive Story. (Remake Discussion) (Dev Tumblr)
Scholar
#15 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 3:54 AM
Oh gosh. So, I had a lot of anxiety as a kid, about a lot of things (well I still do but it's a bit more normalized now). Anyway when I was between 9 and 11 I was completely convinced that I had or was going to get worms (parasites). Never told anyone but felt so ashamed and disgusting and thought about it constantly. Also between the ages of 10 and 13 or so I was terrified of being possessed by demons...completely convinced that Satan was going to come and possess me, and I was terrified of that.

On a lighter note, when I was in second grade I have the distinct memory of putting mud in a bowl during recess, and then I got in big trouble for trying to take it inside...but they must've let me anyway because I put it in a big wooden trunk I had and didn't tell my mom until I was in the sixth grade because I was afraid she'd be mad at me.

Also, when I was between 12 and 14 me and my friend and sister would make our dolls have sex with each other...yeah. It was an interesting time.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Scholar
#16 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 6:24 AM
When I was about 6 or 7, I used to get dumped with my aunt, uncle and their two kids for the weekends. They lived in the backblocks and were all hardcore Christians, so every Sunday, it was Sunday School. Anyway, I got fixated on this passage in the Bible, where the Lord smote Uzzah for touching the Ark of the Covenant and I got it into my head that anything I 'consecrated' would also cause anyone who touched it to 'get smoted'. So, I would make these vials of holy water (composed of real water, lemon juice and my uncle's aftershave) and would go around consecrating random stuff and telling the other two kids "if you touch this, God will smote you just like he smoted Uzzah."

The daughter was my age and the son a year younger, so they totally believed it, which was fine while I was consecrating things like a rock outside or part of a tree branch. However when I consecrated the son's BMX, the blouse went and cried to his dad and I got in deep shit because he thought God would smite him if he tried to ride it. I don't recall exactly what happened afterwards, but I think the pastor from Sunday School got called down to remove the 'curse' on everything I had been blessing.

Heaven's Peak, my CAW WIP
Theorist
#17 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 10:09 AM
Weird things I did when I was a kid? Listen, I just turned 26 but I sure as hell don't think of myself as a grown-up... more like a scrawny manchild who needs to harden up. But I do still have this problem of numbers that goes back to childhood.
Any time something important comes up I look at my watch or clock. Let's say that it's 12:55. That adds up to 67. Add those single digits and it's 13.

Congratulation. Your Awesome!

Awesome numbers in general: 4, 6, 8, 12, 13, 20, 32, 64
Bad numbers in general: 1, 3, 9, 10, 14, 21, 36, 81
Theorist
#18 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 2:41 PM
When I was really, really little, like a baby or toddler, my mom made me this green velvet throw pillow. When I was 4 or 5, I drew a smiley face on it with red magic marker and I named it Pillow Face. I slept with Pillow Face up until I moved out of my parents' house at age 24. Even then, I took the pillow with me, and dug it up out of the closet a few weeks ago to support my mousing arm. The velvet is quite worn and the face I drew is still there, but barely visible.

Resident wet blanket.
Scholar
#19 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 2:54 PM
When I was 5 I used to play with my mom's old barbies, when I was 6 my grandparents got rid of them because Barbies are for girls. Lol

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 9:25 PM
About a year ago i did the 99 second scratching challenge on my wrist because i thought it was 'cool' and now i have a scar on my wrist
i regretted doing it. i still get urges to do it again on my arm but i always stop my self from doing it because i don't want my arm to end up like my friend's who does it quite regularly. one day i may not be able to stop myself doing it, depending on how i feel.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 13th Nov 2014 at 11:22 PM
Drink pickle brine after the pickles were eaten.

Any weirder or what?

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Field Researcher
#22 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 4:38 AM
Hmm. I was a weird kid who grew into a weird person, so I know I have a few stories. The biggest thing I can think of is when I was a younger child, I couldn't STAND certain materials. Bubble coats and that weird felt-like cloth that is in so many 90's cars (which also happened to be the material of our couch) were the worst. I remember scratching at our couch like some sort of rabid animal and my dad yelling, "Honey, stop! Are you okay?!" Mom also said I used to scratch at my coat (why she wouldn't just pick out a suede coat for me or something I do not know) and yell about the material bothering my fingernails, but I don't remember that. Just the feeling. I was a pretty docile and intelligent child, so that was extremely unusual. I still have that "itch" when I'm around those things, but I am not bothered by it or running around scratching things, so I guess I'm okay. It might have been foreshadowing my misophonia, what with the sensory issues and all.

Another thing that I used to do, which has managed to turn itself into maladaptive daydreaming, is pretend I was in a different... world? place? when I was bored or upset. I created an elaborate alter ego and world. When I had to go to school, I was a "servant" and at home I pretended I was a princess and had found my true identity. It was like playtime taken to the extreme. I created characters that other me probably talked to and imagined our conversations. I mean, I knew who I was, but entertained myself with this story. It didn't help that I was so quiet, either.

Ugh, I wish my weird kid stories were of cutting my bangs or falling off a swing! Mine are less "cute" and more "..."
Theorist
#23 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PANDAQUEEN
Drink pickle brine after the pickles were eaten.

^But what about jalapeño juice?
Inventor
#24 Old 14th Nov 2014 at 3:33 PM
... I was a biter.
But only to people I trusted. I never bit strangers.

I was just a bit weird in general. But I now know that was my autism (not that all autistic people bite or anything, I just mean my weirdness in general). I'm still weird now, just better at hiding it when I need to and way better at embracing it. :D
Field Researcher
#25 Old 15th Nov 2014 at 1:33 AM Last edited by Noa_4ever : 15th Nov 2014 at 3:04 AM.
I was also oddly curious about bugs and insects. On a vacation once, I collected rollie-pollies in a sandbox that had what seems like hundreds in there, according to my memory. I was in that sandbox for at least half the day until we did a real vacation activity later on. Don't remember the full vacation, but I remember that sandbox with all of those rolly-pollies and me and my cousin trying to collect them.

I also dug up worms and would take the garbage can lid and fill it with water and watch them swim. I liked how they flopped in it. It really wasn't morbid to me, because I thought worms could swim and I just wanted to know. I mean, they do live underground, so why not underwater? I also would fill it with dirt (must've been a spare lid or something) and sort of just put them there and watch them dig in my "contained" experiment. I'm not morbid at all now, but that was probably the worst I've done. And I have heard far more terrible things than this, unfortunately.

I believed that little people left footprints at a large-ish rock we used as a meeting place. "I'll be at the Rock." "Meet me at the Rock." I really believed it and had convinced my younger cousin, as well. It had been told to me by slightly older kids, so it had to be true, right? We'd try to sneak up and catch the tiny people unawares (would've been about the size of army men). We never saw any...

I would always pick the clovers in my neighbors garden. It got to a point where I just apparently became so well-known that they'd invite me inside and let me play with their daughter. I remember their place a bit. My parents freaked out the first time it happened. I was a naive/gullible kid and that happened several times (and I was lucky and never got harmed or kidnapped). Man, I was stupid. (I'm still sort of a naive adult, I still do this sometimes...)

Apparently I had an entire set of new words for curse words. Usually they were from kids songs that I had heard that were close to that word. So, whenever I wanted to be "bad" I would say my edited versions of bad words. My bad words also included words that were not just curse words, but words my parents told me weren't nice. And once I said my "bad" word, I couldn't contain myself and I'd break into song right afterwards. I remember part of one of the songs. It had a nice rising high note at the end, and I would not hold back - I'm sure the parents LOVED it.
The thing is, is that no one knew I was calling them a "bad word" because only I really knew what it really meant. But that's how you do it. Call your opponent something random and start singing a song with that random word in it. Confuse them , confuse them , I say!
It was a lot of fun.
Page 1 of 4