Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Banned
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 8:37 PM
Default A Film Series I Shall Never Watch Again - A Personal Story From A Few Years Ago
We all know this film. Swartznegger's crown jewel in the film industry. The Terminator series. I've watched a film in the series once, and I'll never watch any again. Hell, even puts me off Swartznegger films altogether.

I know, this is the Off-Topic section. No-one goes to Media Center much anymore. But this is a topic about personal fears and such. And when you watched a film with a character resembling the protag, ooh, thats real nightmare fuel.

Lets begin with the main part. Read IMDB Trivia of Terminator 2, casts lots of lovely mental images in my head. Then I remember why I never watched it. A few years ago, I had recently watched, or watched the new Phineas and Ferb movie later in the year. You'll probably know why THAT character gives me nightmares eventually. So sooner or later, dad was watching Terminator 3. To basically say, I didn't last the whole movie. I either went to bed, or walked out.

Now, said character and the Terminator itself were beginning to mix into the worst nightmare fuel mixture ever. Oh my, I am glad I still don't have the nightmares I had. Said character mixed with Terminator was stuck in my head for months. I didn't tell, but now I wished I did. Besides, I was about 9 or 10 back then.

Sympathy and/or ways to bypass nightmares in comments please.
Finally the nightmares went away. But the scars remained. I could not stand anything related to Terminator any more. It gives me bad flashbacks and mental images. I think I will never watch a Terminator film ever again. It still haunts me to this day.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 19th Dec 2014 at 11:58 PM
You want something really terrifying in an Arnold movie, pick up Red Heat.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 12:13 AM
You know, perhaps you shouldn't have watched movies that weren't meant for your age. I'm pretty sure the suggested age restrictions for Terminator is way past 9-10 of age. There's a reason for those age restrictions, and it's not so that kids can brag over having watched them. While some young kids can deal with such movies, other kids the same age get nightmares or start fearing the weirdest things. Even adults can get nightmares from scary movies, if they're bad enough.

In the future, respect age restrictions, both you and any future kids of yours. Perhaps that'll save you from the nightmares. Also, if you find the film unsettling, turn it off. If you really want to see the movie, watch it together with someone, in daylight, wearing a soft blanket over your shoulders for the scariest scenes. That should help.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 1:11 AM
Hubby & I went to Hobbit movie today, and there was a trailer (SP?) for ANOTHER TERMINATOR! And Swartz was in it! Grampa Swartz! People were laughing...I'm embarrassed for him...

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Scholar
#5 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 4:15 AM
I agree with Simmer22, watching movies or reading books not for your age group is generally a bad idea. I read a book when I was 9 or 10 about this house that was possessed or something and it scared me a lot (no nightmares though). My sister also tried watching The Exorcist when she was 12 and it wasn't the best idea.

Just generally don't read or watch anything that you know will upset you (and I know I'm being a hypocrite here, because I do that all the time, but then I also know how much of a bad idea it is, because I do it all the time).

As for preventing nightmares, I don't have any special tips. I have them off and on; sometimes they're more frequent than other times. Haven't found any way to prevent them however.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Banned
Original Poster
#6 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 7:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
You know, perhaps you shouldn't have watched movies that weren't meant for your age. I'm pretty sure the suggested age restrictions for Terminator is way past 9-10 of age. There's a reason for those age restrictions, and it's not so that kids can brag over having watched them. While some young kids can deal with such movies, other kids the same age get nightmares or start fearing the weirdest things. Even adults can get nightmares from scary movies, if they're bad enough.

In the future, respect age restrictions, both you and any future kids of yours. Perhaps that'll save you from the nightmares. Also, if you find the film unsettling, turn it off. If you really want to see the movie, watch it together with someone, in daylight, wearing a soft blanket over your shoulders for the scariest scenes. That should help.

It just cropped up on the telly, and Dad had picked and watched it. Now I just regret it.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 2:13 PM
There's a media section here: http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=576 Where MTS members discuss movies, music, and books. Next time you want to discuss a movie, check it out. Actually, check it out now, there's some fun discussions.

As for nightmares...that's tough. I think when people are younger, they are a little more susceptible to them and less so as they get older and more cynical or skeptical about the things that seem scary. Apply reason now so that you can make those nightmares disappear. I didn't watch the movie because it doesn't interest me. If it's the violence that haunts you in your dreams, think about how unlikely you are to see that sort of thing in real life and remember that movies and even news media will exaggerate stuff or focus on it just because it sells - it gets people's adrenaline pumping so they pay attention ( = movie sales). If it was something otherworldly, think again about how unlikely you are to encounter the stuff you see in movies, and even if you did, would it appear the same way or would it even really be a threat? Even if we're talking about ghosts, so what? It's angry? So what? It's dead, you aren't. Use reason and humor. Your habits of mind and how you think about things will influence what happens in your dreams.

Think about your fears and where they come from. I was haunted by certain reoccurring nightmares into my 20s. When I realized what triggered them (my mother's fears), I was able to change the dream every time they appeared. Now, I start to experience that frightening set of events in a dream and I remember that it changes and then it does.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Banned
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 4:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
There's a media section here: http://www.modthesims.info/fd.php?f=576 Where MTS members discuss movies, music, and books. Next time you want to discuss a movie, check it out. Actually, check it out now, there's some fun discussions.

As for nightmares...that's tough. I think when people are younger, they are a little more susceptible to them and less so as they get older and more cynical or skeptical about the things that seem scary. Apply reason now so that you can make those nightmares disappear. I didn't watch the movie because it doesn't interest me. If it's the violence that haunts you in your dreams, think about how unlikely you are to see that sort of thing in real life and remember that movies and even news media will exaggerate stuff or focus on it just because it sells - it gets people's adrenaline pumping so they pay attention ( = movie sales). If it was something otherworldly, think again about how unlikely you are to encounter the stuff you see in movies, and even if you did, would it appear the same way or would it even really be a threat? Even if we're talking about ghosts, so what? It's angry? So what? It's dead, you aren't. Use reason and humor. Your habits of mind and how you think about things will influence what happens in your dreams.

Think about your fears and where they come from. I was haunted by certain reoccurring nightmares into my 20s. When I realized what triggered them (my mother's fears), I was able to change the dream every time they appeared. Now, I start to experience that frightening set of events in a dream and I remember that it changes and then it does.

So Media Center, of whom I thought was a barren wasteland, is still active? Cool, lets move this topic.
Wait, I was wrong. Creative Corner was so passed-by, I deleted a thread because of very low traffic. MedCen is still popular. Sorry for any offence.

Fears and where they come from? Terminator 3/Phineas and Ferb Movie's resemblant character to subtag.
Scholar
#9 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 5:48 PM

"It's said war - war never changes. Men do, through the roads they walk. And this road - has reached its end" - Ulysses, Fallout New Vegas
If you love Fallout and literacy, you'll ABSOLUTELY love my roleplay group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/127063690973781/
Banned
Original Poster
#10 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 6:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChinchillaJesus

Damnit, I REALLY didn't want to explain, it gives me those thoughts.

Ugh. Basically, the Terminator (T-800) mixed with 2nd Dimensional Ferb in the latter half of the movie. I'm not creating an imgur page to show.

I hope you are happy at my hopefully minor suffering.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 20th Dec 2014 at 7:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
You want something really terrifying in an Arnold movie, pick up Red Heat.

Or Junior. You know, the one where Arnold gets pregnant.
Top Secret Researcher
#12 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 6:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aaron4Ever
Said character mixed with Terminator was stuck in my head for months. I didn't tell, but now I wished I did. Besides, I was about 9 or 10 back then.

How old are you now? The Phineas and Ferb film you are talking about was only released three years ago.

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Banned
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 7:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
How old are you now? The Phineas and Ferb film you are talking about was only released three years ago.

I'm 13, I think I was either 10/11 then. That'll explain it.
Theorist
#14 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 7:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Aaron4Ever
I'm 13, I think I was either 10/11 then. That'll explain it.

I feel old.
Banned
Original Poster
#15 Old 21st Dec 2014 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mistermook
I feel old.