Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 2:51 AM
Gimp DDS Plugin??
hi! i don't know if this is the right place to post this...anyways, I want to make patterns, and so i went to the simswiki tutorial, and it seemed pretty good, so i looked at the programs i needed, and it said i needed a photoshop, Gimp type of program, and i though the program i have- photoimpact was ok, except i couldn't find a DDS plugin for it, and decided that i would just get the Gimp program for free...so anyways the program works, there is link to download the DDS Plugin so i went there, and i don't know how to get it- when i open it or double click on it it opens with WinRAR and i can't run it ... sorry if this sounds stupid...i design websites and i can't even get a DDS plugin to work
thanks!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 2:56 AM
You need to drag and drop the Plugin to your Plug-ins folder, not try to run it.
Believe me, I did the same thing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RiBlan
You need to drag and drop the Plugin to your Plug-ins folder, not try to run it.
Believe me, I did the same thing.

I dragged it into there..i think its in there now...not sure since i think it changed its name somehow..? anyways...i thought that it was something like that, but on a readme from a DDS Gimp Plugin download it said to extract it to the plug-ins folder....didn't work...anyways thanks :p
Scholar
#4 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 3:18 AM
You need to put the plug in in the plug ins folder and then when you go to save, save as filenamewhatever.dds

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 3:35 AM
AHH! Another issue... i tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 like it says to but it wont download it says setup error.....i think it needs windown installer 3.1 but i don't know where i can get that for free! Thanks! Btw i have windows Vista
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 7:33 AM
.NET Framework, Windows Installer and lots of other stuff is here. For free.

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift, that is why
We call it the Present.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 6:57 PM
thanbks...i already figured it out though! Now there is another issue i can't find where to see the channels in GIMP! Please help Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 7:48 PM
By default, there's a dock with Layers, Channels and Paths. If it isn't there, open it using the "Windows" menu in the image window.

Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
Today is a gift, that is why
We call it the Present.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Aug 2009 at 8:53 PM
Thanks...but how do i save it as a DDS file....i've got the rest figured out...but there is no option to save as a DDS file, i tried all files, but it doesn't show up in Delphy's pattern packager.... thanks
Scholar
#10 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 2:55 AM
As I already said:

Quote: Originally posted by Gangreless
You need to put the plug in in the plug ins folder and then when you go to save, save as filenamewhatever.dds

Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 5:16 PM
As I already said:

Yes, i already did put the plug in into the pugin folder, but i'm not sure if i did it the right way....i tried a few times different ways. The first time i copied the whole folder: gimp-dds-2.0.7. and pasted it into the plugins folder. It didn't work. When i try to save it as filenamewhatever.dds and it says: The given filename does not have any known file extension. Please enter a known file extension or select a file format from the file format list.
I tried other ways like copying the contents inside the gimp-dds-2.0.7 folder, but tht didn't work either. I have a vista computer and i got the 'Source' file from http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidius/dds/#download cause the second one wouldn't load at all. sorry for all the trouble....its just that i'm trying to make a one channel wood pattern and its not working.....thanks for the by the way!
Scholar
#12 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 9:27 PM
You need to download the win32 binaries zip file: http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidi...=gimp-dds-win32

Then unzip the content of that into the plugins folder located here: C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 29th Aug 2009 at 10:38 PM
You need to download the win32 binaries zip file: http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidi...=gimp-dds-win32

Then unzip the content of that into the plugins folder located here: C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

I have Gimp 2.6...i tried to un-zip it but it has an error, it says that i don't have gimp 2.0 installed. I also tried to extract to a specific folder but it wont work....
Scholar
#14 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 4:00 AM
There is nothing wrong with the zip folder at http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidi...=gimp-dds-win32
I just retested it to be sure and it downloads and unzips just fine.

Download it. Unzip it. Inside, you will find 2 files, one named dds and one named readme. I'm not sure exactly what you're doing but whatever is, you're doing it wrong. Perhaps you trying to double click on the file named dds? Don't do that. Just move or copy and paste it to the this directory: C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Do these steps exactly:
1) Click HERE to download the dds plugin. Save it to your desktop.
2) Go to your desktop, locate the downloaded zip folder. Unzip it.
3) Open up the folder located at C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins (Note: This is where it is typically located, if you did some weird install config, it may be somewhere else. Find it. Also do not use the plugins folder located in the User and/or My Documents folder, use the one I listed above.
4) Move the dds.exe (the plugin) from your desktop to the plugins folder.
5) Open up gimp to test.

If you did the above correctly, it will work. If you get an error message, redo steps 1-5. If you still get an error message, copy and paste (or better yet, screenshot and post) the message here.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Aug 2009 at 4:51 AM
There is nothing wrong with the zip folder at http://nifelheim.dyndns.org/~cocidi...=gimp-dds-win32
I just retested it to be sure and it downloads and unzips just fine.

Download it. Unzip it. Inside, you will find 2 files, one named dds and one named readme. I'm not sure exactly what you're doing but whatever is, you're doing it wrong. Perhaps you trying to double click on the file named dds? Don't do that. Just move or copy and paste it to the this directory: C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins

Do these steps exactly:
1) Click HERE to download the dds plugin. Save it to your desktop.
2) Go to your desktop, locate the downloaded zip folder. Unzip it.
3) Open up the folder located at C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins (Note: This is where it is typically located, if you did some weird install config, it may be somewhere else. Find it. Also do not use the plugins folder located in the User and/or My Documents folder, use the one I listed above.
4) Move the dds.exe (the plugin) from your desktop to the plugins folder.
5) Open up gimp to test.

If you did the above correctly, it will work. If you get an error message, redo steps 1-5. If you still get an error message, copy and paste (or better yet, screenshot and post) the message here.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! i don't know why it didn't work before I will make sure to upload the wood pattern i made cause its looking good
Thanks so much for your help!