Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 11:41 AM
Default Problem: Objects get shiny
Hi, when i clone, mesh and recolor a object it gets shiny like metal in game. I'm cloning the object with s3oc, then exportin/importing IMG, MLOD and MODL in s3pe. Im meshing the object (just changing a few things) with help from s3objTool and Milkshape without any problems. I also fix the UVmapper thing and everything seems to go well.

Then when i change the IMG files (the ones with "skin" in colors and the one with shadows, blackandwhite) it also seem to go fine but when i put the file in game everything looks fine, except the object is very shiny like metal.

I use Photoshop CS4 Extended. I save the IMG files in dds in DXT1 if there's no alpha and DXT3 if there's an alpha channel.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? This happens to all my objects that i recolor and mesh.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 11:49 AM
If your object is too shiny/bright/glassy/metallic in the game after altering the IMG's the likeliest explanation is that you changed the alpha on your Specular.

The alpha layer on the Specular needs to be all black. Sometimes just altering the Specular in any way changes the alpha even though you didn't do it on purpose. Open it up and see what the alpha looks like. If it isn't all black then you need to change it so it is.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 2:08 PM
I did try to make the alpha all black this time and it got even worse. I must do something wrong. This time i tried to recolor the terracottahorse and i didn't change the meshfiles. I only changed 2 IMG files that were in color without alpha and 1 that was in black and white with 1 alpha.
I did not change anything except theese 3 files.
I attach some pictures of how i change them and how they look in game.
As i said before im saving the colored IMG files withput alpha in DXT1 and the blackandwhite IMG with alpha in DXT3.

The "original" files in attached pictures show how the file look when i open it without changing it.
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 9:49 PM
Solved it now. Made the alphachannel white instead of black.
Alchemist
#5 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 12:59 AM
This I don't understand...I've always been told that I need to change the Specular alpha to all black. And I've always had success with this. But now you're the second person to talk about white on the Specular alpha channel.

Would you mind posting your Specular dds so I can see what you mean? I'm wondering if this isn't a definitions issue more than a real one and seeing your Specular would help to understand if that's true.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 9:55 PM
I took a screenshot of it if it's ok or did you want the file? Not sure if this is the specular file though, :p
Screenshots