Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#51 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 8:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dorsal Axe
I wouldn't use them for houses, as they are not considered roofs. The greenhouse is treated as a roofless building, meaning it rains and snows inside.

Considering the, like, one thing a green house is made to do is protect plants from the harsh elements, that's disappointing.

Still looks nice though.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#52 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 11:00 AM Last edited by Miuki : 16th Nov 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Glass floor tiles can be found here , I'll check in the evening if they still work. I believe it will fit together with Luna's roof pieces mentioned by writerchick.

Ok, it seems that both floor and roof pieces need to be corrected with Rigfix.

Noone expects the spanish inquisition!
My simblr and my downloads blog .
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#53 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Ready to feel ripped off? The flower planter is the same planter from Supernatural.

Really, EA?

I saw that when I went through the set last night. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I didn't get a dinner with this screw. Mofos!

From this point forward, I will rather pick and choose what I get from the store, no more investing in sets. I mainly will buy a PC item if it interest me, if the store doesn't release it then it's more in my pocket. "F" the mofos!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#54 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 2:12 PM Last edited by Inge Jones : 16th Nov 2012 at 2:42 PM.
I need to make a set of invisible floor tiles - would look better wuth the roofs than glass. You probably don't need rigfix unless your sims were planning on walking on the glass.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 3:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I need to make a set of invisible floor tiles - would look better wuth the roofs than glass. You probably don't need rigfix unless your sims were planning on walking on the glass.

That would be wonderful. Placing them a tile away from each other already helps a lot, but with the glass part being invisible would pretty much solve the whole thing.

Forum Resident
#56 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 5:34 PM
What gets me is they either had to know this wouldn't work in weather, or they didn't even care to check. Yeah, yeah... we've all heard that the store creates stuff independent of the EP/SP teams. Does anyone believe that? Does anyone believe that these people on the different teams don't talk to one another over lunch or breaks? They're all working in the same facility, after all...

Either way, they've left it to the modders in the player community to fix FOR them. AGAIN. Wish the modders could start charging EA to fix their crap; maybe send them a ceremonial bill or something.

Inge, let us know when you make the invisible tiles...
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by writerchick
What gets me is they either had to know this wouldn't work in weather, or they didn't even care to check. Yeah, yeah... we've all heard that the store creates stuff independent of the EP/SP teams. Does anyone believe that? Does anyone believe that these people on the different teams don't talk to one another over lunch or breaks? They're all working in the same facility, after all...

Console yourself with the thought that if they really don't talk to each other, it must be a miserable place to work.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 6:28 PM
They say it is.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#59 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 7:00 PM
Dumb me thought it would be an actual green house and would protect the plants from harsh elements and bought the thing. First and last purchase from the store.

I downloaded Inge's glass floor and put a bunch of glass floor tiles under the fake "roof" and so far the glass floor tiles have been keeping out the summer rain.
#60 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 7:22 PM
Invisible floor rugs as asked about: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1468.0

Oh, this one is already rigfixed and permits constant rebuying.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
One Minute Ninja'd
#61 Old 16th Nov 2012 at 10:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Invisible floor rugs as asked about: http://www.den.simlogical.com/denfo...hp?topic=1468.0

Oh, this one is already rigfixed and permits constant rebuying.

Thank you! Wonder if the Store will ever come up with a solution to their mis-design.
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#62 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 12:28 AM
They say they are "working on it", but it has a temporary workaround, here: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/611517.page

It has something to do with Arches breaking up the walls, or something, so that the roof thinks it isn't a full room.
Mad Poster
#63 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 12:44 AM
The way the game was coded, if a certain portion of the ceiling isn't covered, the game will say it's outside.

You would think they've be a bit more careful with gameplay like this, considering it's development either: A) Coincided with Seasons or B) Was built after Seasons. It, really, doesn't take much time type in a few cheats, plop down a test family (which they do to test lots, I hope, anyway) and toggle snow. Maybe 2 minutes, if things are slow. Of course, this is an issue I thought of immediately when I saw screenshots, so EA has no excuse what so ever - there's no way everyone who saw this just didn't think Seasons wouldn't be a problem.

Either most of them are ignorant of the entire games systems and functions, incompetent, don't give a damn, or EA simply doesn't give them enough time at all to make anything really good. I say this because most every venue they put it looks... abysmal.

I really do want to be a fly on the wall, and just see what goes on during,say, a week at EA.

Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#64 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 12:50 AM Last edited by babele44 : 17th Nov 2012 at 1:05 AM.
I doubt that they work on actually providing a proper greenhouse. Wouldn't this mean that they would have to develop an entirely new category of build objects that created an enclosed space that will nevertheless leave the ground as if it was outside? So, even if they came up with a waterproof roof solution these greenhouses would still not allow you to plant anything inside unless it was in a planter.

Edit: I did not buy that set, but I can only assume that those roof pieces act like the glass domes that came with Lunar Lakes and Late Night, and my vampire back then learned very painfully that these do not create an inside space either. But I wonder about the shell buildings. Are they weather proof in themselves when there's no structure inside? So would it be possible to create a green house by making a transparent glass shell?
Mad Poster
#65 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 1:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Thank you! Wonder if the Store will ever come up with a solution to their mis-design.

They will. It's called a patch that will try to fix everything that isn't broken.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Field Researcher
#66 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HarVee
They will. It's called a patch that will try to fix everything that isn't broken.

I think you're overestimating EA a bit there...
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 1:29 PM
Sims 2 ran on an older engine and yet EA manged to figure out greenhouses and roofs, wtf.
#68 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 2:14 PM
I think the main problem that EA had this time round was that you can't plant seeds in places that count as indoors. I think the rest of the glass roof problem spiralled out from there.

The full list of drawbacks of making the greenhouse count as indoors are:
1) You can't plant seeds indoors
2) The glass roof doesn't act as a window to the room. Leaving the walls open at the top means daylight comes in at the top.
3) When indoors you can't see objects that count as objects on a higher level. Even using my invisible floor tiles you can no longer look up from below and see the pretty glass roof.

I can think of a workaround to #3, unfortunately it means decrypting and cloning the roof pieces, and giving them offset footprints and levsls so technically they are standing on the grass outside. Obviously sharing cloned decrytped store content is not legitimate practice.

Eminence Grise
#69 Old 17th Nov 2012 at 11:42 PM
Hah, well I found the upside to the roof not functioning as a roof: you can use it to create an observatory

The Climatron reward object that came with Seasons can't go indoors, but was able to accommodate it under the greenhouse roof:

Planning to add some telescopes and other lab stuff to this for my alien.
Top Secret Researcher
#70 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 5:46 PM
That's a nifty idea, Srikandi It looks awesome! Also perfect in Lunar Lake.
Hmm we could also make a covered skating ring and a covered pool using Inge's invisible floor and columns, I bet it would look cool too.
Top Secret Researcher
#71 Old 18th Nov 2012 at 5:57 PM
I didn't really expect much from this set when I bought it. It was all for the sake of getting the dancing flower!
Alchemist
#72 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 4:19 PM
This set sucks. Not only is/was it broken, the roof is a set size. What if you want to make the greenhouse whatever size you want? I built a greenhouse onto my Sim's house and found none of those roofs even fit it, unless I expand the width of the greenhouse, which I am not going to do.

Does anyone know if there are alternative glass roofs around like the Sims 2 ones?
Mad Poster
#73 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 7:19 PM
Yeah, initially, I though there would be more pieces for the roofs, not just 4. They made a billion cornices - a nice roof set would be nice. Even if just 4 pieces, something versatile, on a grander scale. I mean, if they can get a spiral staircase to cut through the floor, and a fire fighter pole, why not a roof bit. Especially considering it would leave the room intact (and be an interior), so no snow indoors. :D

Alchemist
#74 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 8:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
Yeah, initially, I though there would be more pieces for the roofs, not just 4. They made a billion cornices - a nice roof set would be nice. Even if just 4 pieces, something versatile, on a grander scale. I mean, if they can get a spiral staircase to cut through the floor, and a fire fighter pole, why not a roof bit. Especially considering it would leave the room intact (and be an interior), so no snow indoors. :D

Also that style of roof for a greenhouse doesn't really match a cheaper/smaller house. It's more like a roof for a mansion's greenhouse. A common arched roof option would make a lot more sense, instead of or as well as the gaudy roofs in this set.
Forum Resident
#75 Old 23rd Nov 2012 at 8:49 PM
The roof pieces I pointed to on page one of this thread are smaller (you can use moveobjects to put them together to make a bigger roof, if I recall correctly), but they're just as fancy as the store's roof parts.

BTW, didn't EA get around the indoor/outdoor issue of greenhouses back in TS2 by having your sims buy a plot of plantable land, which could be placed indoors, as long as it was on the ground? It was just a tile of dirt, rather than a planter like we get in TS3, and you had to buy the plot of dirt to plant indoors or outdoors.

Oh, for anybody who'd prefer having planters which look more like standard planting beds, you can download some by Huge Lunatic... It still doesn't fix the indoor/outdoor problem with greenhouses, but at least you're not putting your plants in those dumb planters.
Page 3 of 4