Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
#6251 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 6:50 AM
It's not strictly true that only the base game gnomes age and die. I don't know about any of the others, but the Seasons gnomes age and die and end up with tombstones in your yard.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6252 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 7:06 AM
Is there a way to move gnome graves to a community graveyard? They don't seem to go into the personal inventory, only the family one.
Mad Poster
#6253 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 8:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlackjackGabbiani
Gnomes, alive? Huh? Aging? Wow, you lost me. They're just statues to me.

They do age, well some of them do as said, they have family trees that we can't see, gatherings, funerals, and everything. They usually only move around and "do stuff" when we aren't watching them although you can catch them taking on different positions if you stare at them long enough.

Some of them are useful to have around, though not in deep game changing ways. One of them improves plant quality or something like that, one will do your sims' laundry, one will finish an invention if it's left undone on the table overnight, the horse gnome leaves produce around on the ground for your horses to eat, etc.

I usually ignore them and play as if they live in an alternate universe that my sims can't really see. If they get in the way, which will happen in tight living spaces, I just move them around and sell them only if I really have to.
Top Secret Researcher
#6254 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 9:44 AM
^ And the evil gnome who will break stuff from time to time, tries to kill your plants, creates a special pile of trash. And I'm pretty sure Evil#2 had something to do with the chimney fire that broke last week. Each time I see the evil ones move I'm afraid of what will happen. Hilarious :p
Gnomes also make funny scenes if one of them is a vampire, the vampire attacking them and the rest fleeing the vampire, some fighting the vamp, other running away scared etc
Didn't know the seasons ones could grow old too; it's the only ones I didn't get for long time of play, thanks for the heads up Lucy Kemnitzer. I totally forgot a couple of families found a spring gnome (he's generally outside contemplating the trees and plants so I tend to forget him), so can't wait to see them become elders and die. I wonder if their graves is pink too.
I generally keep one of each kind in each family and sell the excess ones. Like Igazor said if one of them blocks something I drag it away.
Mad Poster
#6255 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 10:25 AM
So I've learned a few things. I THINK I always uninstalled the Sims3packs from the launcher ... I'm almost afraid to find out. And the first time the game decided that of course I didn't want to play with my EPs, I did enter the a lot. (If the game pulls that stunt now, I leave the game before loading a household, but most of all, I'm trying to train myself to make sure all EPs and SPs are checked.) I hope I didn't corrupt it. I had been hoping I could put that unlucky trait of mine concerning Sims 2 aside when I played Sims 3. I guess it's a little late now.

It seems that no matter how I try to install certain Sims3Packs from a site, I can't seem to get them to show up, even if the game claims they installed successfully. so I want to make sure I understand that uninstalling from the Launcher is the right way to go.,

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Top Secret Researcher
#6256 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 2:41 PM
If you have a bunch of gnomes, You get baby gnomes... they all have beards, how do they do that?

And they turn on the television, which is annoying.
Scholar
#6257 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 2:54 PM
Asexual reproduction.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6258 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 2:55 PM
Bearded ladies.
Site Helper
#6259 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 3:32 PM
I've never seen the vampire gnome turn other gnomes into vampires, but they have decimated a teddy bear collection.
The gnome of the darned in Supernatural summons ghosts. This can be good for someone who lives alone and doesn't get out much, although their friends do vanish the next morning. (And a female sim who is fast enough or has the right CC can try for baby with them. I suppose male sims could TFB, too, but the ghost isn't likely to be around long enough for the baby to be born.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Top Secret Researcher
#6260 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
It's not strictly true that only the base game gnomes age and die. I don't know about any of the others, but the Seasons gnomes age and die and end up with tombstones in your yard.

I haven't played with the gnomes in awhile. Did not have as many as @Ghost sdoj posted above (48 ). Only around 25/30 on one of my lots from several EP's. They all aged and died leaving little tombstones. And among other amusing antics, IIRC they spawned new gnomes from time to time. Darn, now you guys have me wanting to play with them again
Alchemist
#6261 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 6:20 PM
I don't know if it's coicidence but my sim "stole" Pip Goodfellow from his wife and the next day I got a pop up saying that someone left a present into my sim's mailbox. It was a Evil Gnome. Dahlia, perhaps?

And yeah, vampire gnomes do turn teddybears into new vampire gnomes, if you're growing plasma fruits on the lot. Twallan also commented about it once: "The Dark" gnomes were previously stuffed animals, that have since been turned by another vampire gnome, to join the forces of darkness."

I really like those little guys (especially Mr. Mariner and the Sultan Sam) except when they keep turning on the tv and radio. My sim also just got the Cracklin Nackerbell Gnome from the haunted house.
Scholar
#6262 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
(And a female sim who is fast enough or has the right CC can try for baby with them.)

New challenge time!
Lab Assistant
#6263 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Don Babilon
Nothing that I could find in GameplayData. But at least looking into this reminded me that I've always wanted to disable the Browse Web, Stream Video and Show Video interactions. They are gone now and my life in The Sims is much more satisfactory.

How exactly did you go about disabling those interactions? They've always bugged me, as well.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#6264 Old 24th Jan 2017 at 8:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Riesen
How exactly did you go about disabling those interactions? They've always bugged me, as well.
I made three mods in which I set autonomy to be non-autonomous. You can do this with Retuner, too, if you use that or I am sure that there are mods like this at simsasylum.com. I don't use Retuner and it was quicker to do it myself than search for it at the asylum
If you want to do them yourself, too, I can tell you what lines to change in the files, in case you are a bit familiar with S3PE.
Top Secret Researcher
#6265 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 5:35 AM

I don't think we're talking about the gnomes you can buy in the catalog.
Instructor
#6266 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 7:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
hmmm when the sim goes to sunbath and the towel appears, doesn't he rubs his skin, pretending to put some sun lotion? Or is it only in Sims 2?

Sorry for not getting back to this earlier, but wanted to check this in-game before replying. Sims just lie down on the towel with the "Relax" interaction in TS3--there's no additional animation. Unless there's another interaction involving a towel of which I'm unaware?

I mean if you're really up to it you could use another herb and have it result in 3 spraying cans that work against all harm from insects and animals (snake and critter bites, mosquito bites and bee stings). A can has 5 uses, btw. Lavender or camomile might work. Eh?

My plan for this was separate from the Canning Station Overhaul, probably as an object buyable at the grocery store, like the bug repellent. The preference for something that's applied vs sprayed is because the latter seems to be more of a preventative product, and the former something to use after being bitten/injured. It'd be neat for the sims to be able to make a home-brew version as well, but animation is again a blocker (in a different way, since the cooking animation would work, but I don't know enough about animation to implement it now, and it's moot to investigate that as long the rubbing animation remains an issue.)

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
Hanging with the Gnomies
#6267 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 7:26 AM

What do you mean, just statues? Do you have any idea what we've done for this game?

Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
If you have a bunch of gnomes, You get baby gnomes... they all have beards, how do they do that?

None of your business, young man.

Quote: Originally posted by Emmett Brown
And they turn on the television, which is annoying.

Well, we like to keep an eye on the weather. And soap operas.
Lab Assistant
#6268 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 12:20 PM
I made three mods in which I set autonomy to be non-autonomous. You can do this with Retuner, too, if you use that or I am sure that there are mods like this at simsasylum.com. I don't use Retuner and it was quicker to do it myself than search for it at the asylum
If you want to do them yourself, too, I can tell you what lines to change in the files, in case you are a bit familiar with S3PE.

I've never used S3PE haha, but I do have Retuner, so I guess I'll try that, thank you!
Site Helper
#6269 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The Gnome
Well, we like to keep an eye on the weather. And soap operas.

And it's very polite of you to watch tv from behind it so you don't interfere with anybody who wants to sit in front to watch.

(Although it would be appreciated if you guys would stop teleporting right in front of the stove when something is cooking. I would have thought you would learn that lesson when one of you was burned up in the fire that it caused.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#6270 Old 25th Jan 2017 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by The Gnome
What do you mean, just statues? Do you have any idea what we've done for this game?

Hey Gnome, you know everything about gnomes, right? So how do I move gnome gravestones to a graveyard?
Top Secret Researcher
#6271 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
My sim also just got the Cracklin Nackerbell Gnome from the haunted house.
So that's where she comes from! I discovered her yesterday in a family, was wondering how did they get her. Apparently that gnome have a hidden technophobe trait as she broke the family's tv twice in a couple of days. She appears in front of it and zam! TV is fried. Twice -.-
My max was around a dozen gnomes on a lot in an old legacy save, the scenes they would make were always impressive and it was dazzling to see them flash-move somewhere, in a new scene; a bit like a schoals of fishes moving around.
Here's a pic of the very odd pile of trash that looks a bit like a plant that the evil gnome can generate:

Scary, nope? It acts like a trash, i.e. you can make a sim throw it away but they don't autonomously do it, even when cleaning up; you have to queue it in yourself. Probably to force the player to find the trash plant. A third family received the gnome because of their evil deeds. I'll have to check if the trash he makes has a bad smell / makes a bad environment or not. I didn't remove that pictured one as it fitted the decor nicely.
Sorry Butterbot, I couldn't remember if only sims 2 sims did it; my sims didn't go to the beach this last summer haha they were too busy. However I found a rubbing animation, but there's bugs too. It's in World Adventures in tombs when you check a wall hole. The sim gently rubs his right arm to remove the bugs. IIRC there's a different one also with a coward sim who will frantically rub his arms while shaking it like crazy.
I'll try to move a gnome tomb to the cemetery, discovered a tomb yesterday.
Alchemist
#6272 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 3:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MiniMimi
A third family received the gnome because of their evil deeds.

Okay, now I'm positive that Dahlia sent that gnome to my sim.

I have two evil gnomes now. I don't remember where the other one came from a few months ago but it wasn't through the mail. Those guys are seriously creepy looking and I've been keeping - now both of them - in a chest, so they can't escape or do their evil deeds. Well, at least now they have each other for company in there.
Top Secret Researcher
#6273 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 6:59 PM
You sure you want to keep both of them in the same chest? They could be conspiring!
Alchemist
#6274 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 7:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SusannaG
You sure you want to keep both of them in the same chest? They could be conspiring!

Now you got me worried. Hmm... maybe they should both get their own chests. :D
Mad Poster
#6275 Old 28th Jan 2017 at 6:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by attuned
If you download a lot that has a "sculptified" base game object on it (done by NRaas Debug Enabler), and you do not have Ambitions installed, would the sculptified object still appear on the lot?

Quote: Originally posted by igazor
This is actually an interesting question. Sorry, I noticed it earlier up on this thread and meant to test it out, but haven't had the chance yet. I would think that Ambitions is required for the actual sculpting actions, the skill, and the self-employed profession but I wouldn't have thought so just to render the sculpturified objects. The worst thing that can happen, I think, is that the game will substitute...

The best I can do is give this a try with previously sculpturified objects and with trying to use the DE command with the Ambitions EP unselected in the 1.69 Launcher, unless someone else who doesn't have Ambitions in the first place can try it.

Finally had some time to devote to this. I got some very mixed results.

A lot that had sculpturified items on it already did not make any silly substitutions for those objects with the world loaded and Ambitions not in play as per Launcher 1.69. But sculptures of sims in particular, at least done in the four materials I tested, were these weird silhouetted shadows of themselves that had no texture. Objects that were sculpturified fared a little better, but none of them really "looked right."

The DE Sculpturify command does work without Ambitions present but again sculpturified objects just didn't "look right" and sculpturified sims were these even stranger hybrids of texture and nothingness, that were then unselectable back in Live and Build/Buy modes with a tootip complaining about missing game resources.

That's as far as I took things. I do have a lot with Ambitions sculpturified sims on it (not the weird hybrids) saved to the Library, but haven't tried doing anything with that. The above strangeness seemed like enough of a deterrent to stay away from the whole mess, though let me know if I should try anything else.
Page 251 of 385