Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 10:57 PM
Default Sim 3 vs Sims 2
Hi, and no this is not a thread about flaming one against another

I'm just wondering if I should buy Sims 2 (and I'm sure they have one with complete DLC package now). I have the vanilla Sims 2 which I bought when it first came out. Unfortunately it was too heavy for me comp then, the game crawl with graphics at minimum even after only a handful of days and a few improvements making the game unplayable. I have sims 3 and almost all the additions and I love it... It's much more realized than the original sims (the only thing I can compare it to :p)... the traits are a boost to sims for their professions but don't turn them into "super" sim. The variety of jobs and simply the overall feel of the game. Pathing is a !@#$% though, something that boggles me since I don't think such thing should be a problem nowadays. Adventures add-on, fun as they are, feels like a cheat to me since the vacationing sims doesn't age... it feels like they have all these free times to develop theirs skills and return to their original city as a much better sim. Missing adventures means that your sim will be less developed and that means I HAVE to make all my sims take vacation every time the traveling moodlet goes away.... anyway enough rambling xD

I'm wondering if Sims2 + additions would still be a good buy now... let me know pls

ty
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 11:06 PM
I personally found pathing worse in Sims 2 XD Then again, sims 2 and I never got along :P
I would say if you have room for both, I would try the vanilla again and see if you like the overall gameplay. Pets and weather are cool, but not if you like the Sims 3 gameplay more than Sims 2.
For the vacationing thing, just age them a few days early using a birthday cake. That evens it out a bit XD
Field Researcher
#3 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 11:33 PM
i haven't really played sims 2 all that much but i find it more restrictive than sims 3. i love open neighborhoods where you don't have to wait forever for the game to load the place where you are going. so far, sims 3 isn't as complete as sims 2, but only because sims 3 is still getting EP's. personally, i'm sticking with sims 3.

I'm cooler than cool! I'm stupid!
Theorist
#4 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 11:39 PM
If you own TS3 and love it then you'll probably find TS2 weird and constricting. Personally I would wait to buy TS2 (unless it's a burning desire) until the complete edition comes out eventually.

Hi I'm Paul!
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 3:44 AM
If you enjoy playing what you have, then why spend the money on something more? For play only, I like the deeper variety of Sims3.

I am back to Sims2, because after a bit I got bored playing Sims3. (Note: I got bored of playing Sims2 long ago.) I like creating, and learning the new tools/techniques of Sims3 creating requires more time than I currently have to give to it, so I create for Sims2.

If your computer can handle Sims3, there is no reason for you to bother with Sims2. In terms of play, Sims3 is (IMHO) a bit better.

Retired from the Sims world. Please continue to enjoy my creations. Thank you to everyone who helped -- by either giving me the tools and knowledge to create or by encouraging me & downloading my creations. The Sims community is the BEST!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 6:23 AM
ebec17 had a good point, if you still have the base game, try it out again. You should also check out the TS2 forums and info about the EP's it has so you can decide weather it has some feature you would like to try out. Both games have their good and bad features, as well as very weird game design restrictions, so which game is better depends on you.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 3:49 PM
Ty for the answers... I had just re-install my old sims 2 game and I remembered that I actually had play quite a bit (since I remember had the life elixir reward thingie) before. And it also remind me that sims 2 still uses the lazy vs active bar thingie... which is one of the thing I didn't really like about original sims... the trait attributes is much better imo. So I guess I'm sticking with sims 3 afterall... (and I did read sims 2 wiki... I can't believe how many expansions and stuff packs they have >.< and they don't have an all in one bundle which means getting them all is going to cost me some serious pennies...)
Retired
retired moderator
#8 Old 14th Mar 2011 at 3:52 PM
I starting playing both games around the same time, and I have to say that The Sims 3 wins for the open neighbourhood alone. The waiting involved in playing TS2 is just tiresome. There is more variety in TS2, but it looks like in the long term TS3 will have the most features.

CAW Wiki - A wiki for CAW users. Feel free to edit.

GON OUT, BACKSON, BISY BACKSON
Locked thread | Locked by: mangaroo Reason: resolved in #7