Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#26 Old 17th Jan 2005 at 11:07 PM Last edited by Miche : 17th Jan 2005 at 11:57 PM.
No it`s not the same hair style, I know the one I showed pictures of is a custom one made by a member of the beta testing group as when the sim moves there are problems with the animation of it.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 12:15 AM
Thank you for the update on meshes....things are looking good!
Forum Resident
#28 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 12:25 AM
Hi all,
That tool sounds like a good tool to have, can't wait to try it. I knew it would not be long before you smart people can up with something like this.
Any idea when this tool will be released?
Thank you
Test Subject
#29 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 12:30 AM
is the table animated? or is it just for decoration?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#30 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 12:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by XionValentine
is the table animated? or is it just for decoration?

No it`s not animated, its just treated as a bed I believe, a sim will lay on it, but no animations with the chain.
Test Subject
#31 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 12:40 AM
Default Miche?
Hi I was wondering if it requires a 3-d program to edit meshes. I dont' know if this has been asked and answered. Also, is there a 3-d program with an extended period of free time?

Live today as if it's your last. Be true, be loved and be loving.
Test Subject
#32 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 12:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
No it`s not animated, its just treated as a bed I believe, a sim will lay on it, but no animations with the chain.

Oooo Cool, is there a double bed featured as well? or just single?
Test Subject
#33 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 1:20 AM
Great work now for the $60,000 question will you guys make sure to put a little this tool is not to be used to make objects for pay sites clause inyour liecence agreement?
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#34 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 1:23 AM Last edited by Miche : 18th Jan 2005 at 1:31 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Zandi
Great work now for the $60,000 question will you guys make sure to put a little this tool is not to be used to make objects for pay sites clause inyour liecence agreement?

We have spoke about this, and while idealy I would like some sort of clause to be in it, we have decided that it would be impossible to enforce and just take up to much time even trying to enforce. So people will be able to place objects on pay sites as long as they credit that it was created with our program , and include a link back to the program , in the release notes (some of the details are still to be worked out), also that our program is always freely available.
Test Subject
#35 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 1:30 AM
I was just coming back to kick myself in the butt for not compleetly reading your first post.

Kinda stinks that sites that attack MTS2 will soon be making a proffit on using the tool and you know they'll claim not to be using it for their objects.

Oh well, people will end up knowing they're using it any way and their crap will eventually back fire on them any way.
Test Subject
#36 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 1:31 AM
Cool, So can i also export in to other 3D formats with this? Cuz the only d moddeling program i gots is Cinema 4D. But this program sounds terrific and i cant wait till its done guys.
Lab Assistant
#37 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 1:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Syera
*Nods* Okay, thanks.

Now, for Question No. 2. I'm not a mesher, but hey, maybe I could learn someday. HOWEVER, I don't want to pay for a program unless I know I can actually mesh. And honestly, 40 days just isn't enough time for me to fool around with a program - I have other things I do. So, here's the thing - is there a decent *free* program out there that can edit OBJ files and won't expire after a certain amount of time? (Yeah, I'm a pill that way...)

Gmax is a really great free modeling program. Gmax is basically the free (100% free - not just a trial) version of 3D Studio Max, a professional modeling and animation program. Unfortunatly, to my knolwedge, it can not import/export .obj files. However, there are other programs, such as Milkshape which is the one most people in the beta test are using, that can convert pretty much any file type to any other file type. It costs $40 after the 30 day trial is over, though.
Field Researcher
#38 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 1:51 AM Last edited by roddyaleixo : 18th Jan 2005 at 1:54 AM.
I simply love this! I am so getting in trouble trying to export meshes the hard way right now.. Will this give us the ability to change mesh of clothes too? Thank you guys, for sharing all these informations with us :D:D:D
#39 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 4:59 AM
blender is completly free and can import/export .obj files
#40 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 6:03 AM
how can i download this programm?
Field Researcher
#41 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 6:31 AM Last edited by rentechd : 18th Jan 2005 at 6:38 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Syera
*Nods* Okay, thanks.

Now, for Question No. 2. I'm not a mesher, but hey, maybe I could learn someday. HOWEVER, I don't want to pay for a program unless I know I can actually mesh. And honestly, 40 days just isn't enough time for me to fool around with a program - I have other things I do. So, here's the thing - is there a decent *free* program out there that can edit OBJ files and won't expire after a certain amount of time? (Yeah, I'm a pill that way...)

There are many 'lite' versions of 3D programs that are completely free and have no trial period. Maya PLE, GMax, Poser, Blender etc. Some are very good, some have more important features disabled so you need to look around. The biggest problem with many of these is that they do not import/export the OBJ format into the 3d modeler.

Quote: Originally posted by Light shadow
Cool, So can i also export in to other 3D formats with this? Cuz the only d moddeling program i gots is Cinema 4D. But this program sounds terrific and i cant wait till its done guys.

The current extractor creates the file in the OBJ format and the Mesh Tool currently only supports OBF. I know there is a plan to support more object formats but they need to get the tool functioning well with the OBJ format first. So some may find that they can model items but will need to wait until a compatable format is supported by the Mesh tool

Quote: Originally posted by cool_max
how can i download this programm?

Do you mean the mesh tool or blender? The mesh tool is still in closed beta and is not released yet so you cannot download yet. When its released it will be available on this site

Come visit www.variousimmers.net where my original objects and recolors now reside. The site hosts many other creators, moddres and developers.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 7:45 AM
But when u release this, will the retexturing template be affected or be the same but retexture a different part??
Test Subject
#43 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 11:52 AM Last edited by blut3ng3l : 18th Jan 2005 at 12:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by rentechd
There are many 'lite' versions of 3D programs that are completely free and have no trial period. Maya PLE, GMax, Poser, Blender etc. Some are very good, some have more important features disabled so you need to look around. The biggest problem with many of these is that they do not import/export the OBJ format into the 3d modeler.

GMAX I'm sure doesn't import .obj. Maya PLE has basically everything the complete version has, but when you create things there is a tag all over the saved picture and I think it saves as a special file too to insure non-commercial use and to insure that people are testing the program before they buy the actual thing. Never heard of poser and blender. I assume you download Blender from http://www.blender3d.org/ and I assume you download poser from http://www.curiouslabs.com/go/poser5 which is a pay program and has a trial version.

People, it's not that hard to search for programs. Anything that doesn't cost 600+ dollars is usually a waist of your time. Trial versions are a waist of your time too. I edit pictures for websites and such. I use Paint Shop Pro, Adobe, etc. Some 600+ dollar programs. Why would I result to using Windows Paint? Editing videos... Mac's Final Cut is like 1,000 dollars... Adobe's Premiere is near 600ish... and then we have Windows Video Editor for free. These kinds of programs take money and talent. A lot of perofessionals use these programs for their careers and life. When you can build your life off of it, of course these things are gonna cost money.

Should you run out and buy a program? No, it's crazy. Not to mention it takes a lot of skill. Perhaps you can somehow build it. But, mind you, a lot of people who make amazing art with these programs directed their life to it and are computer/graphic design inclined.

We are blessed to have these people that also know c++ and etc. That can write programs, mod the game, and all of that. Do you want to write programs too? Well now you need Visual Studio .Net or a program like that that uses a diff. lang.

There has to be some basic program, like Milkshape(Milkshape isn't free.), for free. Nothing fancy. Hopefully someone can post one. So we can do basic editing with existing body meshes. If not there is only 2 ways to get the programs. Buy.. or.. not buy..
Nearly alive
Original Poster
#44 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 11:58 AM Last edited by Miche : 18th Jan 2005 at 12:20 PM.
I wouldn`t say anything costing less than $600 is a waste of time.

Gmax I believe can import obj file but not export them , but it can export in other formats, I know one of the beta testers is exporting in MD3 format and then using milkshake to convert them into OBJ format.

Blender is also I think a good program, and is completely free and open source.

Maya PLE is not of any use as it can only export to it`s own format and no other program (that I know of) can read these and convert them.
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 2:16 PM
Miche & Delphy,

I think that you should make it so that if you click on the image at the top of the screen, or in the menu goto help that there be a link back to this site.

That way when an anti-MTS2 site (Not going mention any names ) allows the downloading of your program from their site; They are indirectly promoting and providing a link to all their users. (Talk about rubbing salt into an open wound :fight: )

TazzMann
Test Subject
#46 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Miche
I wouldn`t say anything costing less than $600 is a waste of time.

Gmax I believe can import obj file but not export them , but it can export in other formats, I know one of the beta testers is exporting in MD3 format and then using milkshake to convert them into OBJ format.

Blender is also I think a good program, and is completely free and open source.

Maya PLE is not of any use as it can only export to it`s own format and no other program (that I know of) can read these and convert them.

3D Studio Max doesn't import .obj I think Gmax is a watered down version. (Is Gmax even made by discreet?) MilkShape actually can import .obj files. If you click import and look for the program that says obj by it, it works. They are actually using MilkShape to export files into the GMDC format (with wes_h's plugin). Then SimPE is used.

Maya PLE would be good to build up skills for mesh editing though. As well as all of the watered down versions and or trials.

Hopefully, if Blender imports .obj files, that might be the best program to use to gain skills and actually create things for use.

All of us who are discussing this are probably not too good at 3D editing yet though. We should probably build up skills with random programs, trials, Maya PLE, Blender, etc.etc.etc. using tutorials.

Another program to add to the list, which is a pay, is maxon's Cinema 4D. It imports .obj files. MilkShape can't import the files it creates though. So converting it to a GMDC is a minus using that.
Test Subject
#47 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 2:53 PM
FYI: GMax is made by Discreet.

In another thread I posted scripts for GMax that allowed Import of obj format files. They also work with 3D Studio Max.

What's driving me nuts right now is that it has been so long since I had done any work with 3DS that I've got to relearn how to make UV Maps with it! heh, an old dog here forgetting old tricks...

Quote:
Where ever you go, there you are.

- Buckaroo Bonzai
Test Subject
#48 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 2:57 PM
Do we know if blender imports .obj files?

At the website if you search importing and exporting it directs you to http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Import___Export.5.0.html

and if you scroll down you see

Wavefront OBJ Importer/Exporter
This script allows for full importing and exporting of .obj files. uv texture coordinates and normals can be exported and imported. .obj groups and materials can also be converted to and from material indexes in Blender.

in MilkShape to import the .obj files you choose import then wavefront obj.

what program is wavefront anyway? since apparently it's files are .obj

when i do a search i get directed to www.aliaswavefront.com/
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#49 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 3:04 PM
Alias are the company that does Maya. OBJ is a pretty old format nowadays but it's easy to read and is fairly portable.
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#50 Old 18th Jan 2005 at 3:05 PM
TazzMann, thats the idea :D
Page 2 of 6